Asparagus!!

Options
Candice83
Candice83 Posts: 217 Member
I've just recently learned that i love it! omg its so delicious... anyone got any tried and tested recipes or ways of cooking this remarkable little stalk?

Replies

• Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Wrapped with Brocollini in Procuttio ham and griddled x
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I like just adding it raw, (or boiled for 2 minutes) to salad. It adds a nice crunch :smile:
  • hollymoran39
    Options
    I thought it had to be well cooked.... I boil mine in a shallow pan of water until the bottom end of the stalk is fork tender... I cut about 1/4" off the bottom before cooking, too... And it makes your urine stink, btw!!! Kind of embarrassing when someone goes into the bathrrom right after you!!! ;D
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I toss mine in olive oil (very lightly) salt pepper,and grill. Then I add a teaspoon of butter and a handful of fetta cheese (or a table spoon full of some blue cheese) add a spoon of tabasco sauce(to taste) ,and toss together with the hot asparagus until the fetta/ blue cheese is melting. It sounds strange, but every time I serve this to friends, I end up with phone calls and emails for the recipe..:flowerforyou:
  • Arachnapheria
    Arachnapheria Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I steam mine for about 2 min then add to salads :)
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Roasted with a little olive oil and some sea salt. 400 degrees for 10 minutes or so - until it is as done as you like.
    Same preparation and then grilled. Delicious!
    I just bought some yesterday. Can't wait to have it.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Fresh is great. Canned is mush.
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    Does wonders to the smell of your urine and other protein sources :laugh:
  • wilkin777
    wilkin777 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lightly steamed and dipped into boiled egg instead of bread soldiers. Asparagus soldiers! Mmmmm : )
  • emmahaines1
    Options
    I just throw mine into a pan or griddle, wait till it starts to sizzle and some lime juice and rock salt. great little snack or side dish
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love it raw. :) Or very lightly steamed, so it's still crunchy.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Roasted with a little olive oil and some sea salt. 400 degrees for 10 minutes or so - until it is as done as you like.

This!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    oooh I just love steaming it and having it with gravy.
  • GoodbyeGut
    GoodbyeGut Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    True story. A couple of months back my wife and I enjoyed dinner out. I had a nice piece of slamon with a healthy side of asparagus. It was yummy. Later that evening, about 2 am, I stumble from bed to go visit the restroom, well, I wasn't just visiting if you know what I'm saying! Anyhoo, I'm standing there doing my business when all of a sudden panic hits me. "What's that? I said to myself, "Burning wire?". I spent the next 30 minutes going around my home, sniffing light sockets etc., trying to find the source of danger. I can't find it. So, reluctanly I go back to bed sleeping with one eye open and had an awful nights sleep because of the anxiety. Next morning I am relieved that I and my family didn't perish in the night. As is the morning ritual I'm off to the john again to take my morning leak and instantly the smell returns. Well, this time I didn't panic but started laughed instead as I realized the source was coming out of me.:blushing:

Asparagus: taste=delicious, smell=not so much!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I toss mine in olive oil (very lightly) salt pepper,and grill. Then I add a teaspoon of butter and a handful of fetta cheese (or a table spoon full of some blue cheese) add a spoon of tabasco sauce(to taste) ,and toss together with the hot asparagus until the fetta/ blue cheese is melting. It sounds strange, but every time I serve this to friends, I end up with phone calls and emails for the recipe..:flowerforyou:

I just bought some yesterday because it was on my low carb diet "allowed" list, but I have never made it before except for a couple times where I just boiled it and put oil and vinegar on it. Boring. But this sounds luscious, and easy! I actually have feta cheese and cream cheese, and hot sauce, so I will try this tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I usually like simple preparations but these asparagus souffles are easy to make and soooo good:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/asparagus_souffle/
  • ameyer410
    Options
    Lemon juice makes it super yummy and a great substitute for the calories of olive oil (yes, OO is super healthy but the calories can still sneak up on ya if you're going for weight loss).

...combined, these two are actually pretty strong diuretics....so drink water! Or enjoy a flatter stomach in the morning ;)
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

yum! so trying this tomorrow.