What mantras do you have.....when it gets tough......

Options
When I am having a tough time running or shredding, say to myself 10 stone 4, 10 stone 4 over and over again, this is the weight I felt fab at and it's puts a mental posative picture in my head.....

Do you guys chant anything to keep you going?

Replies

• medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Doing he cardio parts of Jillians dvds and taking a break I just ask my self "Can you still TALK?" If not, I just keep doing it til I die. I want it to be so hard that I cant say a single word.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    H = Have
    O = Only
    P = Positive
    E = Expectations
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    pain is inevitable, suffering is optional :heart:
  • wilkin777
    wilkin777 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What do you want to look like? How do you want to feel?

Works for me with exercise (push a little bit harder or longer) and with food ( I tend to put it down )

The only thing I know is that I'm asking the question I already know the answer.

: ))
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well as embarrassing as it is, I... um.... have this Kindergarten song I sing in the rhythm of what I am doing...you sing it once the way it is and then start replacing all the vowels with an a, then e, i, o and u. And I do it over and over again...:embarassed:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Who's going to win ... you or the pavement?

One more step.

How do you like me now? by Toby Keith. I have it as a repeat on my play list. That and Goodbye to you.
  • RimRK
    RimRK Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Depending on what workout I am doing anywhere from
    "One more, one more, ok I lied, two more"
    "One song, it's just the length of one song"
    :P
    I also swear alot when I run tabatas :P
  • Fitfaery
    Fitfaery Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also use "just to the end of this song" "next lamppost" etc

I used to have a jogging buddy and once when we were out we were both struggling and I said "we will fit healthy and spanking gorgeous, just keep going", So sometimes on a run I will say each word on each foot fall "fit" "healthy" "spanking" "gorgeous" over and over. Not only does it help take my mind off what I am really doing it makes me smile too, which really freaks out the other people on the pavement who already think I'm nuts for going running anyway :)
  • Breezap85
    Options
    I think about the worst customers i've served and swear repeatedly in my head bwahaha , i'm not crazy!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I sing Bjork's Pluto to myself

Excuse me, but I just have to explode. Explode this body off me.
    I'll be brand new, brand new tomorrow. A little bit tired, but brand new.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    "Aim for Progress, Not Perfection"

This works for me because it reminds me not to be too hard on myself or give up because I'm not perfect at it. Keep trying. Focus on the positives. What IS working? Now what mini-goal do I need to tackle the less than perfect parts? I can't tackle them all at once but I can see that I am working on progressing with every mini-goal I attack. That progress keeps me going. Focusing on the progress helps me stay positive about it. What progress can I make today? This week? It helps me keep the CAN DO attitude!
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Nolite Te Bastardes Carboremdorem (don't let the *kitten* grind you down)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    "Happy & Healthy"

No point in doing one without he other - so all of my lifestyle choices have to balance the two. I only do sports and workouts which I enjoy. I don't miss out on going out or seeing friends in order to train. I only eat food I like, and I'm allowed to treat myself - even to gain weight occasionally. Over Christmas I went over my maintenance weight by about 4 lb, so I spent January loosing it again.

Getting this balance wrong means things become unsustainable. Its why people quit and its where I've made mistakes in the past. It also involves a mindset change around food - for example, I know that having a great run makes me feel good - so I eat appropriately for my training, rather than using my training to free up calories so I can eat more food.

Hope this inspires you...

Mike
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When running up a hill/sand dune - "The mountain knows not of my challenge".
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When I want to die on the elliptical I just make a deal with myself that "I have to get to X amount of calories", once I get there I'll look at the miles and say "Ok you did X amount of calories, you can't stop til you get to X amount of miles or minutes". Works every time, I end up doubling my time on the machine, even when it hurts like hell. Sometimes there's always the little self pep talk, "Come on, get with the program wimp!" I believe in a personal bootcamp...no pain no gain. ;)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Death before DNF.

1 2 3 exhale.

If this weren't fun, I wouldn't be doing it. (and/or) Damn, this is fun.

Keep digging.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My 2 favorites are:

Sweat is just fat crying

You can be sore or sorry.....I choose sore!

And (almost forgot!) from Jillian Michaels (can't remember which dvd):

Get used to being uncomfortable!
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well as embarrassing as it is, I... um.... have this Kindergarten song I sing in the rhythm of what I am doing...you sing it once the way it is and then start replacing all the vowels with an a, then e, i, o and u. And I do it over and over again...:embarassed:

apples and bananas???
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When my body starts telling me it's going to stop for a moment: "I'M in charge, I get to tell my body what to do, my body isn't me, my body's arms shaking doesn't affect me, it only affects my body. I can make it do a few more reps."

It sounds very silly out loud. It also makes me look like a bossy control freak.