My calories are way too low but I'm not hungry.

Options
I have heard quite a bit about starvation mode and needing calories to lose weight. My calorie intake has been very low and after some big cardio days in a negative. I have been losing at a steady strong pace but most of all I really haven't been hungry. I eat throughout the day almost on the hour but it is always low calorie, low carb, and usually higher protein.

I know I am losing muscle too but I feel comfortable knowing how to get that back.

Question is are there others out there that have just stuck to low calories and cardio and hit their goal? Or do you always have to adjust your intake?

Thanks!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You just joined the site in Jan. If that's when you started eating this way you wouldn't have time to reach starvation mode yet. But that doesn't mean you won't. Negative calories sounds pretty bad to me. How are you going to maintain that long term? And if you can't, don't you feel you'll just gain the weight back when stop eating that low?

Everyone is different but I really think slow and steady is the best way.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I am ill, I have no appetite and no desire to eat, but I shovel the food in anyway because it's good for me. If you have no fuel, you're asking for trouble.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The reason you are not hungry is because you are giving your stomach something to digest every hour. It subdues the mechanism that tells you to feed your body. While it is great that you are losing weight - you are not feeding your body. Your body needs fuel to function.

So my question to you is how are you going to feel when you hit your goal weight and then start eating more to gain muscle. You will go up in weight.
  • jasonr1442
    jasonr1442 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I hope to. I am trying to drop below my target for military and timing reasons and then gain15 to 20 lbs of muscle mass back.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I hope to. I am trying to drop below my target for military and timing reasons and then gain15 to 20 lbs of muscle mass back.

Ah I see now said the blind man. I get what you are doing. Just be careful buddy!