Running, treadmill vs. outdoors....HRM users

Options
I enjoy running, I'm fairly new to it, I used to own a treadmill, but now run outdoors. In comparison I feel that running outdoors is more of workout. So out of curiosity I was wondering if any HRM users have compared the difference. Do you burn more running outdoors or is it the same as running on the treadmill?

Replies

• n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    running outdoors is a little harder because you actually have to propel yourself forward instead of keeping up with a moving belt.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I dont use an HRM when I jog however some one is to burn more calories outside because you're propelling yourself forward where as on the treadmill you have added help. Not sure on the difference of calories though. Hope this helps a little.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I enjoy running, I'm fairly new to it, I used to own a treadmill, but now run outdoors. In comparison I feel that running outdoors is more of workout. So out of curiosity I was wondering if any HRM users have compared the difference. Do you burn more running outdoors or is it the same as running on the treadmill?

I can't answer your question about the HRM, but I run both on treadmills and outdoors a lot. I think treadmills are easier when you have the incline set to 0, but I think 1-2% is comparable. I usually run at 2% incline and find my treadmill workouts are actually harder.
  • mander1621
    Options
    I'm also wondering the same thing. I agree that outside seems like more of a workout (maybe it's all the different terrain).
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would say running outdoors is more difficult also because the treadmill is perfectly flat (unless you adjust incline) and the outside you are running up and down small hills.
  • aweightymatter
    Options

I can't answer your question about the HRM, but I run both on treadmills and outdoors a lot. I think treadmills are easier when you have the incline set to 0, but I think 1-2% is comparable. I usually run at 2% incline and find my treadmill workouts are actually harder.

^Same, only I don't find they're harder, more like about the same. I don't know where you live but running outside can also be harder because of weather conditions and stuff. I live in a place with SUPER high humidity so my speed outdoors is a good 0.2 - 0.3 mph slower than on the treadmill, even with the incline up. Either one is fine though so if the treadmill is going to get you moving when it's crappy out, go for it!
  • InvictusPhoenix
    Options
    anyone done a side by side comparison? i wanna see some numbers! (curiousity)
  • grinch031
    Options

^Same, only I don't find they're harder, more like about the same. I don't know where you live but running outside can also be harder because of weather conditions and stuff. I live in a place with SUPER high humidity so my speed outdoors is a good 0.2 - 0.3 mph slower than on the treadmill, even with the incline up. Either one is fine though so if the treadmill is going to get you moving when it's crappy out, go for it!

I would say 80% of the time, my pace (as shown by GPS watch) outdoors is faster for a given distance than I can do on a treadmill at 2%. But I'm talking about mild weather and relatively flat outdoor course.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't use a HRM, but I do switch between outdoors and treadmill depending on how much snow and ice is covering the ground, and there is no doubt running outside is a better workout. Outdoors you go up and down hills. While you can kind of simulate running uphill on a treadmill by raising the angle, you can't simulate running downhill. And outdoors you also have wind which makes it a tougher run.

I also prefer outdoors because I get bored on the treadmill and it's too easy to stop. Once I am 5 miles from home, I have to return. But that's a different issue than your question.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid runner and since I've been training for a 1/2 marathon in May, I've noticed that I tend to run at a faster pace outdoors, than I do on the treadmill. Seems odd, but I will frequently find myself running 15-20 seconds per mile faster than what I planned to do when I run outdoors. Whereas on the treadmill, I set my pace and go.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    From this past weeks experience here is what I have learned... You can treadmill train, and set a pace and stay with it and go a distance, but doing the exact same thing outside (eg:5km) I ran faster without trying and could go longer at that pace then trying the same pace on the treadmill for the same 5km... So I think you work harder outside but don't necessarily realise it as you have much to see and hear to occupy your mind, whereas the treadmill is deadly boring and you end up hyper aware of how long (or how much longer) you will be treadmilling it... Just my two cents...
  • jdelot
    Options
    I don't use a HRM, but I do switch between outdoors and treadmill depending on how much snow and ice is covering the ground, and there is no doubt running outside is a better workout. Outdoors you go up and down hills. While you can kind of simulate running uphill on a treadmill by raising the angle, you can't simulate running downhill. And outdoors you also have wind which makes it a tougher run.

I also prefer outdoors because I get bored on the treadmill and it's too easy to stop. Once I am 5 miles from home, I have to return. But that's a different issue than your question.
    Exactly! What am I going to do...walk home? I can manage about 3 miles on the treadmill without losing my mind...
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I run on both, treadmill and outside. I do have a heart rate monitor. Its a Polar and I think I burn more outside but it's not a huge difference, maybe 75 cals more. I really can't compare the two side by side because when I'm at the gym, I also do circuit training and some other machines before I run.

Tracy
  • grinch031
    Options
    I'm an avid runner and since I've been training for a 1/2 marathon in May, I've noticed that I tend to run at a faster pace outdoors, than I do on the treadmill. Seems odd, but I will frequently find myself running 15-20 seconds per mile faster than what I planned to do when I run outdoors. Whereas on the treadmill, I set my pace and go.

There's certainly a mental advantage to running outdoors. I find when I'm running a long distance, my mental strength tends to rise and fall throughout the run. On a treadmill, if you stay at a constant pace, you can't take advantage of the mental ups. Outdoors, when you are mentally up, you naturally go faster for periods of time.

Also if you are feeling bad, outdoors you can subtly slower your pace, whereas on a treadmill you still have to keep up or you will fly off the thing.

But I think a treadmill is a very effective tool for running, as long as you don't run on it flat. My wife ran like 90% of her training runs on a treadmill and did quite well on her first marathon.
  • jdelot
    Options

There's certainly a mental advantage to running outdoors. I find when I'm running a long distance, my mental strength tends to rise and fall throughout the run. On a treadmill, if you stay at a constant pace, you can't take advantage of the mental ups. Outdoors, when you are mentally up, you naturally go faster for periods of time.

Also if you are feeling bad, outdoors you can subtly slower your pace, whereas on a treadmill you still have to keep up or you will fly off the thing.

But I think a treadmill is a very effective tool for running, as long as you don't run on it flat. My wife ran like 90% of her training runs on a treadmill and did quite well on her first marathon.
    Good info. I need to do more incline stuff when I run on the treadmill. I got spoiled in December and January with the weather, but now it looks like we have to pay for 50+ degree days in January. Stupid snow.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I train on both a treadmill and outdoors and I use HRMs for both.

Outdoor runs are harder for me effort wise (I also tend to run a bit faster outdoors) than on the treadmill. I've seen my heart rate a bit higher at the gym (it can cap out around 170 when I'm running at a 3% incline at about a 5.5-5.7 mph pace), but I seem to burn that same amount with a lower HR outdoors (yesterday I averaged 152ish, right in my cardio zone) and burn close to equal or slightly over what I do on the treadmill.

I think both are excellent methods of training. However, I will say my legs are WAY more sore after a day running outdoors than on that lovely, cushy and bouncy treadmill.

Happy running!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I train on both a treadmill and outdoors and I use HRMs for both.

Outdoor runs are harder for me effort wise (I also tend to run a bit faster outdoors) than on the treadmill. I've seen my heart rate a bit higher at the gym (it can cap out around 170 when I'm running at a 3% incline at about a 5.5-5.7 mph pace), but I seem to burn that same amount with a lower HR outdoors (yesterday I averaged 152ish, right in my cardio zone) and burn close to equal or slightly over what I do on the treadmill.

I think both are excellent methods of training. However, I will say my legs are WAY more sore after a day running outdoors than on that lovely, cushy and bouncy treadmill.

Happy running!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    For a workout standpoint, running is running. And whoever said you can't run downhill on a treadmill, you just don't have the proper equipment. Mine does up to 3% decline. I saw a survey awhile back that showed ALOT of pro marathoners do most of their training on a treadmill. Wish I could find that article right now.

I can program a workout for you on a treadmill that will quick any outdoor runs azz. ;)

The only difference is the mental aspect which I take care with Netflix.

If you're a recreational runner, then outside is good. If you're training for something specific, you can't beat a mill for it's training options.