Warrior Dash?

Options
Hey,

So I signed up for the Warrior Dash in July of this year in Barrie, Ontario. I'm not a runner but I figuered this will provide motivation to me and it looks like it will be a good time. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done one & what kind training you did to prepare.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, see http://warriordash.com/ for more info.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I thought of signing up for last years, but then my knee went. Since surgery to fix it is not until October, unless I get in earlier because someone cancels, I won't be able to do it this year either. It looks like a lot of fun.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I ran one last year...10 months ago. I focused on HIIT cardio to prepare for it. The running part was hard for me, as I still didn't have great endurance. I had no issues with any of the obstacles. Definitely a lot of fun!
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think the obsticals will bee too much of an issue but the course is 5 km (3.1 miles) up & down a ski hill. Maybe they'll let me use the lift lol.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think the obsticals will bee too much of an issue but the course is 5 km (3.1 miles) up & down a ski hill. Maybe they'll let me use the lift lol.

LOL. Yeah, I walked quite a bit between the obstacles. I'd say focus on endurance running, then. Be able to jog 2-3 miles comfortably and you'll do well and have fun.
  • n8vchick77
    n8vchick77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I want to do one of these some day...looks like a fun time!
  • j3nn14er
    Options
    aw man that looks amazing! good luck and I will def do one eventually ^_^
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm training for one in April. I'm doing the first 8 weeks as heavy cardio. The main point is to be able to keep my body moving long enough to finish (this is how I trained for marathons in the 90's). Then the last six months, I'll shift focus to strength training to ensure I have the strength to push and pull myself through/over the obstacles.

We're also forming a team and will be helping each other where needed. Consider getting some friends to join in.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hi ~ I have signed up for the Warrior Dash March 31st in California!!! I am sooooo excited. I even bought a sports kilt to wear :tongue: I have some friends that ran it in October. I ran my first 5 k last Sunday and have a 1/2 marathon on Feb 19th. I have been told be able to run 2-3 miles and have some upper body strength. I am running, doing Hot Yoga, body works class, spin and hiking. I should be fine and am looking forward to it!!!

One of the friends who talked me into this is training for the Tough Mudder!!!!!! Now that one I would have to think about...Lot's of training!!!

Good Luck!!!! Go Warriors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • shawn45223
    shawn45223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started with a 5K last August. Then ran a Warrior Dash in Sept. One of the best things I ever did. Since then I have signed up for the Tough Mudder and I am signing up for the Go Ruck Challenge. Most people wont even get off of the couch to walk around the block.( I was one of those) I trained a lot for the Warrior Dash and ended up in the top 10% of my age group. I recommend it to anyone who wants to push themselves and do something out of the box. It makes you feel really good when you cross the finish line. It doesn't matter how long it takes you. Just do it. It is worth the effort.

I highly recommend doing it with friends. I even made a lot of new friends just training for it.

Everyone that wants to do it someday, they need to do it this year. Set a goal and do it. When you get there you will see all kinds of people there just like you.
  • jessicaeclark
    Options
    I did Warrior dash before, and it had a great time!
    This year I'm doing Hero Rush (Firefighter themed obstacle course!) in MD!
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it this year in Pennsylvania.
    I am focusing on distance running and lifting weights. I feel like the obstacles won't be as much of a challenge.
    Feel free to add me on here if you'd like and we can help motivate eachother!
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hey,

So I signed up for the Warrior Dash in July of this year in Barrie, Ontario. I'm not a runner but I figuered this will provide motivation to me and it looks like it will be a good time. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done one & what kind training you did to prepare.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, see http://warriordash.com/ for more info.

I did Barrie last year. And signed up again for this year. I couldn't run a full 5K last year and was not prepared at all. So the best advice i can give is to find a hill--a really big freekin hill and run up and down. The entire course is hills. The obstacles were a welcomed relief from all the running up and down hills. yes, you would think running down the hills would be better/easier. they are not.

Also...start training your liver NOW. For the best party after is downtown Barrie.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm registering for the Barrie dash tonight! There's a group of about 8 of us going... I'm pretty stoked! This will be my first ever race!
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I did Barrie last year. And signed up again for this year. I couldn't run a full 5K last year and was not prepared at all. So the best advice i can give is to find a hill--a really big freekin hill and run up and down. The entire course is hills. The obstacles were a welcomed relief from all the running up and down hills. yes, you would think running down the hills would be better/easier. they are not.

Also...start training your liver NOW. For the best party after is downtown Barrie.

So what you're saying is I need to hill train, and distance train. I should also consume a lot of alcohol. Maybe I can combine all three of these disciplines to maximize my workout time. I'll put a dozen beer at the top of a long hill and run up & down, chugging a beer at the top each time. If I do that every day between now & July 21 I should be good!
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for one in June in Illinois. I can't wait! I'm running with a group of friends, two of which ran it last year. I'm running a half-marathon a few weeks before so that will help with my endurance but also trying to make sure I have the strength for the obstacles.

FYI I was also given these suggestions...duct tape your socks so they don't fill with mud, duct tape your shirt down so that it doesn't get caught on the barbed wire, wear knee pads for crawling, some sort of gloves for the rope climbing the wall. I don't know if you have the same obstacles but thought I'd pass it along!

Good luck!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Tough Mudder in June here in Colorado.

www.toughmudder.com

I'm sure it's somewhat similar???
  • DenverKos
    Options

Yes, train on hills, and since you say up and down a ski slope, train on hills at elevation. It makes a huge difference, but then again, I'm in Colorado so we start at 10,000 ft and go up a ski slope from there!
  • NYPetite
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash, NY last year (my profile pic was from the Warrior Dash). You're going to have such an awesome time! The great thing about this race is that you can go at your own pace. I was already a runner so it helped with endurance and stamina however if you are currently not running I would recommend incorporating some cardiovascular exercises (uphill running, elliptical, sprints). There are also upper body obstacles like wall climbing so make sure to add some strength training. You are definitely going to be physically challenged but don't forget to have fun and good luck!!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Anyone else sign up for Warrior Dash IL?

If so what day and time slot did you guys get?
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a similar one in California in April. If I love it, I'll do Warrior Dash in the fall here.

My training is usual lifting + trail runs + monkey bars when I can find some 6 year olds to kick off. (I also do cardio classes for fun, like salsa and pole dancing--can't call those mud run training though, just can't.)

A friend gave me this though, which would be more than adequate prep: http://toughmudder.com/training-prep/