Protein Powder for Women? Help!

Options
I'm 5'6, 150lbs and have lost about 10lbs since starting MFP in November. I stick to 1200-1500 calories a day and workout 4-5 days a week burning 500-900 calories each workout. I cannot get the scale to budge. I read adding protein powder to your diet can help you get off a plateau and I definitely wouldn't mind more muscle definition, but I'm just wondering if any other women have used it or had any advice to help me get out of this slump! Thank you!!

Replies

• pudgypie
    pudgypie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back or even partially eating them back? If not, you have a major daily deficit on the days that you exercise and this could be a reason why you weight loss is at a standstill.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 150lbs and have lost about 10lbs since starting MFP in November. I stick to 1200-1500 calories a day and workout 4-5 days a week burning 500-900 calories each workout. I cannot get the scale to budge. I read adding protein powder to your diet can help you get off a plateau and I definitely wouldn't mind more muscle definition, but I'm just wondering if any other women have used it or had any advice to help me get out of this slump! Thank you!!

Protein powder won't help get you out of a plateau unless you use it to add more calories. People might be suggesting it as it will increase your caloric intake and since under eating is a problem with many plateau's the additional calories would be help. If you want to break your plateau, eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.

BTW, I love EAS and Muscle Milk for protein powders.
  • STAYSEAH
    STAYSEAH Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you do deceide to try protein powder, I highly recommend Vega whole food optimizer. It's a bit pricey, but it has a lot of really great stuff in it. It's protein powder with tons of healthy nutrients, which also helps with weight loss, so you are getting much more benifit than just additional protein.
  • issyhubby
    Options
    I just started the body by Vi 90 day Challenge. Its Protein shake podwer. I love it. Tastes Great!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    increasing protein is a great way to build lean muscle, simply put. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey , find it cheap on bodybuilding.com have used it for years and will never switch , and also dont be worried about the "bodybuilding" website they have a weath of information for any goal and body type
  • AnnaK812
    AnnaK812 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Protein powder won't help get you out of a plateau unless you use it to add more calories. People might be suggesting it as it will increase your caloric intake and since under eating is a problem with many plateau's the additional calories would be help. If you want to break your plateau, eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.

Great advice- maybe I'll just use the protein powder on the mornings of exercise days to gain back the calories I'll be burning? I exercise at night and find it hard to then eat 800 calories before bed.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Great advice- maybe I'll just use the protein powder on the mornings of exercise days to gain back the calories I'll be burning? I exercise at night and find it hard to then eat 800 calories before bed.

I exercise at night as well (still have a protein shake after) but I figure my workout calories into my lifestyle calculation. So instead of sedentary, i am very active. This way I don't have to eat back my exercise calories.
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing a great job with the workouts. I would make sure the workouts include decent strength training. Protein will help to build the muscle, but you have to incorperate strength training with it. The strength training does not burn as many calories, but the increased muscle may help you get past the plateau.
    I do use a protein powder now and love it. My strength training seems much more productive with it. If you would like information about what type I use, please message me. Have a great day!
  • mollymarie83
    mollymarie83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC total lean 25, it has more protein and less carbs than a normal shake, i replace my lunch with it on days I work out, and you have to drink your protein shake within 10 minutes of your workout.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Use the protein powder post workout, will be more beneficial
  • cooter2533
    Options
    I use the GNC total lean 25, it has more protein and less carbs than a normal shake, i replace my lunch with it on days I work out, and you have to drink your protein shake within 10 minutes of your workout.

Not trying to argue but you have about an hour post workout to drink your protein shake to get the full benefits.
  • katermoody
    Options
    I absolutely the protein powder I am on...It is a daily treat I look forward to and it came :wink: :smile: with a fat burning system and a cleansing system that really helps with water retention. I work out on par with you, I have lost 8 lbs and 7 inches in less than 3 weeks. Hang in there that plateau will go away...
  • cooter2533
    Options
    I drink ON GOLD standard double chocolate, its my post workout treat. I normally do 1 cup of skim milk with one scoop of powder. Runs me 240 cals, about 30 grams of protein and taste like chocolate milk. Blends decent in a shaker cup but you have to really shake it. I prefer to use the blender tho, if I have the calories available I put about 3/4 T peanut butter in it. Makes it taste awesome