Lunch Ideas

Options
Hi Everybody :)

I'd like some ideas for lunch! I get an hours lunch break and by the time I get home and need to travel back I get aprpox 40 minutes. I would like quick and easy, healthy options for lunches. It really has to be as inexpensive as possible too. I guess I could also preapre it the night before.

I have generally been having salads, soups or wraps with tuna, but really want something a little more exciting now and again!

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Lucy

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Other than what you've already mentioned, I make a big batch of chili, rice and beans or stew and freeze it single serve containers. Take one out in the morning and it's ready to put in the microwave by lunch time
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options
    Other than what you've already mentioned, I make a big batch of chili, rice and beans or stew and freeze it single serve containers. Take one out in the morning and it's ready to put in the microwave by lunch time

That sounds great (except I don't use a microwave but I could heat it in the oven) but when you have such a big lunch what would you then have for dinner?
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Tuna Melts and Scrambled Eggs are ~10 mins to make... add some salad or chop some veggies in with the eggs and you're good to go.
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options
    Tuna Melts and Scrambled Eggs are ~10 mins to make... add some salad or chop some veggies in with the eggs and you're good to go.

I like that idea of scrambled eggs- hadn't thought about that! Whats a tuna melt? I've been making tuna wraps heating them and eating them hot....
  • grimmaster1983
    Options
    use one of your wraps as a pizza base, use either onion chutney or tomatoe puree and some low fat cheese, grills in like 3 minutes.. yummy :D x
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options
    use one of your wraps as a pizza base, use either onion chutney or tomatoe puree and some low fat cheese, grills in like 3 minutes.. yummy :D x

Thats a great idea I hadn't thought of that and it sounds YUMMY!!! Whats the heathiest cheese option?
  • ams2264
    Options
    I don't know what's nearby, but I have discovered grilled chicken nuggets at Chickfila and I'm in LOVE! I order the 12 piece combo with a coke zero and one of their soups or a fruit bowl in place of the fries. Yum. A very filling lunch for under 500 calaories.
  • kme2011
    kme2011 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i make a pasta salad a good bit. Its noodles (whichever you prefer), a can of tuna, onion, Morton's Nature seasoning (or whatever flavoring you like) and a little mayo. amazing hot and great when cold. If you were gonna eat it cold i would wait til it cools before you put in the mayo. its Delicious and only takes a few mins for the noodles to cook. :) And my husband and kids LOVE it!
  • grimmaster1983
    Options

Thats a great idea I hadn't thought of that and it sounds YUMMY!!! Whats the heathiest cheese option?

we use a standard low fat cheddar, 15g goes a long way when grated, but there is lots of better types extra low philadalphia, light laughing cows, even extra low cheese slices at only 40 calories each :D
    with a few cherry tomatoes or pepper its a great lunch, i make them at least once a week for us :D x
  • marquesajen
    Options
    A big batch of chili can be portioned out and frozen, same with homemade bean soups. Sandwiches can be great as long as you have some variety, for example: hummus and veggies on whole grain, peanut butter apple and banana on whole grain, BLT (you can use turkey or soy bacon if you like), or any combination in a wrap. Homemade burritos are awesome, they make me feel like I'm eating out which is fun. Then there's oatmeal with fruit and so forth, yogurts, curry, etc...
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options

That sounds great (except I don't use a microwave but I could heat it in the oven) but when you have such a big lunch what would you then have for dinner?
    All of those are pretty low calorie...how few calories are you wanting to eat? I usually make a large dinner, grilled chicken, whole wheat pasta, something like that and eat left overs for lunch the next day.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ground italian seasoned turkey, tomatos, onions, green peppers wrapped in large lettuce leafs. Salsa for sauce if you need one... Sometimes when im in a bind.. i get the new Lean Cusine steam fresh meals in a bag.. under 300 cals, and lower in sodium ones. I like having buffalo turkey shaved deli meat on either Thomas bagel thins, or Light wheat bread...
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    How about a poached egg over sauteed greens? I'd make that all the time if I went home for lunch.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bigger breakfast, small lunch, and good dinner!
  • julie864
    Options
    I need quick and easy dinner meals
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love to make spicy chicken wraps! Grab some cubed chicken breast (you can precook it to make it faster) and roll it up in a lettuce leaf with some tomato, ranch and hot sauce. Its like a buffalo chicken wrap without the wrap! Plus some celery and peanut butter which is my daily staple.

I love vegetable soups. Anything thats gone a bit wilty from lingering in my produce drawer gets cubed and boiled with veggie broth then blended smooth. Throw in some curry, pepper, ginger and a little paprika and its good hot or cold.
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options

All of those are pretty low calorie...how few calories are you wanting to eat? I usually make a large dinner, grilled chicken, whole wheat pasta, something like that and eat left overs for lunch the next day.

I'm working on 1200 cals a day. Using approx 200 for breakfast and about 200 on "snacks" which leaves 400 for lunch and 400 for dinner. Would the chilli be around that?
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I had a container of Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus With Pretzel Crisps & strawberries for lunch yesterday & it was yummy & filling! I'd never really had hummus before & I was pleasantly surprised. I've also made a vegetable pizza for lunch & cut it into small pieces to take for lunch. Other than that, I'll have a sandwich & a banana.. or pepperoni, a cheese stick & pretzels. I try to bring stuff that is ready to eat because there is always a long line at the microwaves & I don't always have time to wait. I only get a 30 minute lunch break, so sometimes by the time I make it to the cafeteria & heat up my lunch, I don't have time to actually eat it, other than at my desk.

I had also seen someone on here mention a sandwich with cream cheese, avocado & turkey which sounds amazing, so I am going to try that next week. :)
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options
    I usually have a bigger breakfast, small lunch, and good dinner!

I start work at 8am and can't eat before then so I have cereal in the office which is just enough, i'm not a big morning eater.

I tend to have a bigger lunch and smaller dinner if my partner isn't home for dinner or a smaller lunch and bigger dinner if he is. But I try not to eat carbs at dinner- I find they sit in my stomach and I can feel umcomfotable in the evening.

Does it matter which meal you are eating as the biggest?
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat quesadillas with lots of veggies and beans. Chop veggies ahead and always keep a container in the fridge. Little bit of cheese and some salsa and you are set!