Runners I need some advise and help...

Options
Okay so I've started running on our brand new Nordic Trac. I've been running 2 miles at 5-5.3mph. I walk for 1/2 mile before and after at 4.0mph as a warm up/cool down.

First question: Is it better to increase your speed first or distance?? Does it matter?? I'm going to run my first 5k this summer, and want to try and have a plan of attack.

Second question: I'm having more difficulty running outside (can only do shorter distances and fatigue quicker. Suggestions?? What's the easiest way to transition from a treadmill to outside? I'm guessing that you can go further on a treadmill because it propels you while you go vs outside where you have to have your own propulsion?? Maybe??

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Google C25K. It eases you into it so well.
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that a treadmill helps you a long as well. I can run longer outside than on the dreadmill, but that is where I have always run, plus I don't get as bored.

As for speed v distance, they (you know, the ominous "they") say not to increase your distance more than 10% a week. The reasoning is that it is less of a shock on your body, so you are less likely to suffer from injury. So I got my distance up and then worked on increasing my speed through interval training. I am still super slow, but I am getting faster (probably dropped about 3 minutes off my pace from a year ago)

Also, you could get a couch to 5k app, they are pretty handy.

Good luck and have fun!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Work on increasing your distance first so that you know you can complete a 5k. Then work on your speed. The last thing you want to do is to be able to run a really fast mile but then have no gas left in the tank for the last 2.1 miles.

And definitely switch it up and get outside. The treadmill is a uniform speed, uniform elevation, uniform everything. Most of us do NOT have a uniform gait. I know one of my legs is just a hair longer than the other, so too much treadmill running really screws up my outdoor running. Also, your race is going to be outdoors. So you definitely want to be prepared. I ran a half marathon last year (that I'm running again next weekend) where at mile 10 there was this HUGE hill. It was ridiculous. So you gotta be prepared for stuff like that. Plus, it takes the monotony out of it, and I bet you'll see some more results regarding weight loss/definition if you run outside more often. I've got a 12 miler to do outside today! No way I could do that on a treadmill.

Treadmill is a GREAT place to start, and great for when the weather sucks. Plus, you can watch tv on the treadmill, which is nice :) But there's nothing like getting outdoors. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    try setting the treadmill on 0.5 or 1.0% incline, this will make it slightly more difficult and will be closer to running outside that is not accounted for on a treadmill such as wind resistance and grade changes.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Distance, distance distance....Speed will come later....
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    you need to increase the incline a touch to couteract the fact that the treadmill helps you along.

A bit more about treadmill v outdoors here.

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/treadmill-versus-outside-running.html
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    the problem with treadmills is that you dont need to propel yourself foward like you do with real running, for this reason running outside is more efficient to build endurance and also better your running form, that said to make outside runs better, find a scenic route or a woods run to do, it takes your mind of the running and makes the time fly by.

as for increasing speed or time , just go with what you feel like doing that day, some days you will want to go faster and some a more relaxed pace but longer. there are so many schools of thought when it comes to running and road racing that no one is absolutley correct, because what I do wont automatically work for you, just experiment with your runs, Log everything in a notebook and you will start to see the trends and how your body reacts to different workout patterns.

good luck!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    On a treadmill you have to have at least a 2% grade for it to equal running on outside ground. As for running distance and speed, I've always increased my distance first and then my speed but that seemed to be what my body was actually inclined to do. Maybe a running trainer has more specific info for you. Good luck!!!!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    I've run on and off for 25+ years and run my third Half Marathon in 3 weeks. Having said that my advice comes from my own experience only. Also, I like to enjoy my runs not push myself so hard I feel sick. I run outside.

Don't worry about speed, that will come as your fitness level improves.

Lose yourself running outside. Listen to music, look at the scenery or run with a friend and chat. It works for me.

Also, just do it! Listen to your body and get out there. You will never regret a run you did but you will regret one you didn't.

Hope this helps, Sue
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I don't really like treadmill running so can't comment on that, but as for speed/distance, I think you need to do both! Mix it up. Hill runs, short sprints, longer distance at a slow pace....it all helps your overall performance. Just be wary of increasing mileage too quickly, can lead to injury. Not sure if that helps!!! :bigsmile:
  • upwiththesun
    Options
    From my experience, go for the distance first to build up your endurance. There are running programs you can get at the website Runnersworld. For first time 5k'rs. , Then go for the speed. I have lots of suggestions for speedwork, but I highly would recommend endurance first..

Running outside is harder. Transition from treadmill to outside, if your doing 3 miles on the treadmill, do 1.5 outiside, like half your distance or even 1 mile outside or whatever you can build up to.

Good luck!!!!!!
  • marciml
    Options
    Do you have any running stores in your area that do training clinics? I joined one last year and went from barely a 5K to running a 1/2 marathon. Typically they are training for an event - Some 5k, 10k or half marathon in the near-ish future. They'd meet once a week, usually Sat mornings and give you a training workout for during the week. You'd have specialized speakers at the beginning of each Saturday morning meeting to teach you things like nutrition, stretching, even the best sports bras. Then you'd do your long run for the week with the group. Its great to get the cross running experience, running during the week on the treadmill, then outside with your groups or whenever else you'd like.

I just joined a new group last week. Its different from the first group I joined last year, but I've already learned some new things. Its a great way to meet other budding runners in your area and to learn to train safely.

Best of luck. Running has transformed my outlook on life!
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I try to increase weekly by no more than 10%. After the first week or two, I start to add 30-60 second bursts of speed to a couple of my runs, then after another couple of weeks start formal interval training. You already begun to increase distance and you slowly add speed. I'm a fan of Jenny Hadfield and http://www.walkjogrun.net/ has free training plans, running routes near you home that other users have submitted that you can use online or on your iPod. I love the app, as well as the Nike GPS one.
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    OOOO, I'm jealous of your nordic trac :) I would definitely encourage you to work on distance first. That will help build your endurance. You can do speed intervals once a week and that will a) help with speed and b) minimize injuries. That's just my opinion (not a medical professional). Playing with the incline also helps build endurance. I've been running for years and have never had problems or injuries following that plan.

Running outside makes your body work harder which is why it's more challenging. You'll get more comfortable as you become more consistent with it. The best transition is to simply alternate as much as you can (a few runs on treadmill, a few outside). Hope that helps
  • Behavioral
    Options
    I recently completed a marathon (mostly walked it, although I did train to run it). I started with a couch to 5K program, which was absolutely great and completely FREE! YAY for FREE! Anyway, I started on the treadmill too, just to get my heart in shape first. Once I completed the couch to 5K program, I kept increasing my distance on the treadmill until I was able to jog about 10K on the treadmill. Once I got there, the weather warmed up and I was able to get outside and run. I started my marathon training with the 3 mile runs (about 5 k) and worked my way up. In my very humble opinion, I would start with getting up to at least a 7-10K distance on your treadmill at your current pace, then start increasing your speed and maintaining that same distance. If you are trying to lose weight too, it's the increased distance that will burn more calories, increasing your speed just lowers the time it takes to burn those same calories (you'll burn about 770 calories for 7 miles whether you run that 7 miles in 1 hour or 1/2 hour, although the new research does suggest that there may be some increased burn for the increased speed, it is kind of negligible overall). Also, keep in mind that heart health is a HUGE factor. Keep yourself in the training range and read up on running and heart health to avoid strokes and heart attacks from trying to do too much too soon. Good luck and friend me if you need support in your quest. I'm starting my training for a 1/2 marathon in June and trying to lose weight AGAIN (only hopefully more than last year).
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    There is only one way to train for running outside and that is to run outside. There was a post today on MFP in one of the forums that stated you should set your treadmill on a 1% incline to better mimic real world conditions. Good luck training for the race.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Run on the treadmill at 1-2% incline to make it more comparable in effort to running outside.

For a novice, I'd say start increasing distance before speed, to build that aerobic base. But you can also throw in some faster paces, but do intervals where you alternate between faster and slower pace. Everything should be increasing gradually to make sure you don't cause over-use injuries since you are still untrained.
  • roballesteros
    Options
    I have run several 5Ks, 10Ks and even a half marathon and I would defintiely work on distance before speed. As your race gets closer and you have conquered the distance, then you should work on speed by doing interval training. You can google Interval training and find tons of plans on the internet.

The question about the treadmill vs outside running is funny to me because I thought I was the only one who had this problem. I love running on the treadmill and I know that most people don't. Eventually with consistency you will see that your outside running and treadmill running endurance will be about the same but I highly suggest doing both regulalry. Try to mix both outside running and treadmill running in the same week. I also suggest looking for running tracks or trails at parks where the scenery is nice, that always helps me go longer distances outside.
  • simone_84
    simone_84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on running so I couldn't really say which to increase on first but I'm not sure it matters. I think if you're concerned with your distance when running outside that you might want to increase distance first. I've always been of the mindset that if you know how far you're going to need to run you should work on going farther so you know you have that endurance. Also, I personally have had better luck with increasing my speed when working in an outdoor setting. Treadmills are easy, not necessarily because they propel you but because outside you have no control over the lay of the land or the elements. Taking your run outside, somewhere with hills can definitely help with your endurance. It'll be a harder workout for sure but it'll be worth it as will adding some speed work.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Well here's the thing - Races are not run on treadmills, so if you ever want to do a race, you should really start taking your runs outdoors. Slow and steady, alternate your runs indoors and outdoors until you get acclimated.

Treadmills provide a few advantages - first, they're easier on your joints; second, they keep the pace for you. I will say I think treadmills are great for mental endurance, which is important in running.