Man on a Mission

Options
Hi all,
I'd just like to introduce myself.
My names Arron, i'm 25 and I'm here to sort my *kitten* out.
I was a skinny kid, though I ate, ALOT. Rewards in my family were take aways, so junk food became something to yearn for. Messed up psychology right there. My dad was a stubborn man, so every meal my mum cooked revolved around him. Vegtables were boiled to death, pies, beans, chips were a regular occurance. Needless to say my dad is not a healthy specimen. I remember watching him dip bread in a pan of cooled down oil (dripping) and chomped away (I just about vomited)...needless to say healthy eating was a joke in my upbringing.

But I can't blame my parents. Or I'll never take responsibility.

I piled on the weight when my best friend died when we were 17. We were like brothers and it still upsets me thinking about it. I became a heavy smoker, both tobacco and cannabis and drank vodka like it was water.

In the past 5 years I've learned to deal with a lot more than I could write here, From being homeless and completely self destructive to now renting a nice house and in my third year at university. I've not touched drugs in nigh on 8 years, and today is actually the 4th month of not smoking tobacco. I rarely drink (only socially) but one thing I've struggled to change is my weight.

The highest I've weighed is 21st 7lbs (4 years ago) (I'm 6ft 1in) Its bounced around from that down to 17st 7lbs (2 years ago) but I was back at 20 st 4lbs when joining this site. Since then I've come down to 19st 12lbs and i'm trying to do it the healthy way. (I've done the cabbage soup diet in the past which resulted in the most dramatic loss, but it didn't stay off)

My main problem is exercise. I actually eat an incredibly well balanced diet, packed full of fruit and veg, salads, meat and fish. But portion sizes let me down and when I get down or self destructive I do end up taking the easy option with takeaways and occasional junk food. I have sedentary lifestyle being a digital and traditional artist, I create assets for games which involves hours of computer time. But I am trying. Mostly long walks and cutting down the portions.

But I need advice on appropriate fat burning exercises. I have a weight bench outside but I'm paranoid if I use it I'll gain weight (as muscle is heavier than fat) and well, to be honest I have a good amount of muscle, I just need to shed the padding! lol

So yeah, there's my story so far, I waffled a bit but thought I'd start with an honest approach. Nice to meet you all and I hope to find some support and friends to help reach my goals of 16st! Cheers for reading! ;:)>

Replies

• KSHorne
    KSHorne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome to to MFP. I admire your courage, even with all that you've been through. If you would like, you can add me as a friend and we can support each other. I wish you all the best! : )
  • the_jinxster
    Options
    Thanks for your words, I've sent you a request :)
  • sweetNcountrygirl
    Options
    WELCOME!! There is lots of support here and I wish you nothing but the best in your future! Think positive and remember nothing comes easy, you have to work for it! :)
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hope you like it here. The support is great. I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends that will keep you on the right track. Good luck!
  • Grizzly_Mike
    Options
    Hey fella nice to see you joined our community! I am sure youll get down to 16st Ill send ya a friend request. keep it up
  • the_jinxster
    Options
    Thanks all, just got back from a 3 hour walk In the cooooold!!! Was bloody tempted by a Bacon sarnie on the way but went with an Apple, 58p for a bloody apple! Whats the world coming to :(
  • Julesh964
    Julesh964 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! I thought my 2 hour walk was long today ;) Welcome to mfp, lots of love and support on here add me if you like :)