Bod Pod and BMR results--wow!

Options
I just got back from my appointment at a local university fitness center, where I did the Bod Pod. The results were pretty much what I expected, but WOW are they different from what MFP recommends!

For example, if I were a "sedentary" person in MFP standards, they recommend eating 1900 calories a day. But, the Bod Pod showed that while at rest, I only need 1400! Those 500 calories could be deadly to someone starting out on a diet using this site. I would highly recommend getting this test done--it was only 20 dollars and took less than 5 mins!

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Did the bodpod result add the "sedentary" multiplier (x1.2) to get you your total energy expenditure (TEE), or did it just give you your BMR?

If your BMR is 1400, then your maintenance should be 1680 if sedentary (1400 x 1.2).
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy you were able to get it done :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The bod pod just measures body fat--it may include a BMR on the printout, but that's just using a general equation estimate, just like MFP. The bod pod does not measure resting metabolism, as far as I know.
  • hster3
    hster3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What the trainer told me was that the BMR is calculated using the amount of lean mass I have. I'm not sure exactly what that equation is, but when he presented the data to me, he said 1400 calories is what my body burns "just sitting in a chair all day." I was also a little confused when I scheduled the appointment because I was under the impression that BMR is calculated by measuring the amount of oxygen your body efficiently uses, but the trainer assured me that the Bod Pod was accurate. However....I would take his advice that with a grain of salt--he didn't seem the most informed on the subject!

Just to clarify, is the measurement for basal metabolic rate generally presented in terms of calories?

Has anyone else had a useful experience with the Bod Pod, Dexa scanner, or any other BMR testing?
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    yes BMR is presented in number of calories and is based on your lean muscle mass. The issue with generic calculators is that they don't take into account if your carrying more muscle mass than the typical person of your age/height/weight. So it's good to get an accurate reading like you did with the Bop Pod. Now keep in mind that if your reading was 1400 BMR you should never go anywhere near it, remember walking, going up stairs etc...all of it eats into your calorie count for the day. So while my BMR is 2300 I should always end my day around 2600 calories to account for those every day work calories.
  • Azdak
    Options
    What the trainer told me was that the BMR is calculated using the amount of lean mass I have. I'm not sure exactly what that equation is, but when he presented the data to me, he said 1400 calories is what my body burns "just sitting in a chair all day." I was also a little confused when I scheduled the appointment because I was under the impression that BMR is calculated by measuring the amount of oxygen your body efficiently uses, but the trainer assured me that the Bod Pod was accurate. However....I would take his advice that with a grain of salt--he didn't seem the most informed on the subject!

Just to clarify, is the measurement for basal metabolic rate generally presented in terms of calories?

Has anyone else had a useful experience with the Bod Pod, Dexa scanner, or any other BMR testing?

I was almost certain it was a calculated number (which doesn't mean it's not accurate). I think the difference between the 1400 and the 1900 is that the 1400 is Basal Metabolic Rate--i.e. calories burned w/out any movement and 1900 is you TDEE--or Total Daily Energy Expenditure which includes the typical amount of movement that one is likely to experience, even with a "sedentary" lifestyle.

So, yes, BMR is measured using oxygen consumed (or using a metabolic chamber). The number you were given (1400) is a calculated number, not one that was directly measured. Again, that doesn't mean it's not useful--in many cases, calculated BMR figures work just fine and are reasonably accurate.
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I also had testing done at the University in our town. I did the BodPod (loved the bathing suit and swim cap :)) but also did the test where I had to use the treadmill at different speeds while breathing through a tube basically. They also then had me wear a Bodybugg for a few days and used all the results to come up with my conclusions. I'm still a bit confused I have to say! My numbers came back that my metabolism is actually better than the equations showed it to be. Evidentally I have a good about of lean muscle under this little puffy layer! She suggested that I am not losing weight because I'm not eating enough rather than eating too much. It was also interesting because I had been running and working to pick up my speed and the treadmill and the test showed that even though I burned 11 calories while running at a fast (for me) speed, not one of them was fat, they were all carbs. However, when I was walking fast I only burned 6 calories but 3 of them were fat. I know the magazines are all proclaiming the "fat burning zone" to be a myth but for me it seems pretty true. I know for some people it evens out but for me I need to burn the fat and she suggested slow and steady with maybe one or two interval days.

My program was called Metabolism Matters and was through Illinois State University. It cost $200, just to give you an idea.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I also had testing done at the University in our town. I did the BodPod (loved the bathing suit and swim cap :)) but also did the test where I had to use the treadmill at different speeds while breathing through a tube basically. They also then had me wear a Bodybugg for a few days and used all the results to come up with my conclusions. I'm still a bit confused I have to say! My numbers came back that my metabolism is actually better than the equations showed it to be. Evidentally I have a good about of lean muscle under this little puffy layer! She suggested that I am not losing weight because I'm not eating enough rather than eating too much. It was also interesting because I had been running and working to pick up my speed and the treadmill and the test showed that even though I burned 11 calories while running at a fast (for me) speed, not one of them was fat, they were all carbs. However, when I was walking fast I only burned 6 calories but 3 of them were fat. I know the magazines are all proclaiming the "fat burning zone" to be a myth but for me it seems pretty true. I know for some people it evens out but for me I need to burn the fat and she suggested slow and steady with maybe one or two interval days.

My program was called Metabolism Matters and was through Illinois State University. It cost $200, just to give you an idea.

Just to clarify about the term "tat burning zone myth". It's called a "myth" not because there is no difference in the amount of fat burn at different intensities. It's called a "myth" because the fuel substrate you burn during exercise has no real effect on losing stored body fat.

Studies have provided strong evidence that whether someone burns a lot of fat during a workout or a little, at the end of 24 hours, total fat oxidized by the body will be the same--in other words, the body alters its fat oxidation based on what happened during the workout.

Melanson, et al. Exercise improves fat metabolism in muscle but does not increase 24-h fat oxidation. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2009 April ; 37(2): 93–101
  • mattandjolene
    Options
    What does MFP stand for/mean? Thanks I did the cardio and calorie point tests at Lifetime Fitness. It said my calorie point was 1000 RMR. My BodyMedia pod says I burn 2100 non-exercise days -2500 cal per day on exercise days.. I have a llight active life. Stay at home to take care of my kids, general housework, (laundry, etc.) and work out 3-4 times per week. How can there be such a difference? Thanks!!!
  • OhThatBlonde
    OhThatBlonde Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Very nice that you got this done!
    he said 1400 calories is what my body burns "just sitting in a chair all day

But you don't just sit in a chair all day, do you? The moment you get out of bed and brush your teeth, you start burning above and beyond your BMR. As you go about your day, every little thing you do adds up, so your TDEE will be well above 1400.

To achieve weight loss, you subtract a calorie deficit from your TDEE; not your BMR.
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    What does MFP stand for/mean?

MFP - MyFitnessPal