Not enough carbs?

Options

Replies

• mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I suppose that depends on context, are they absolutely needed, no, but for high level athletic performance, sports like running, cycling, boxing, MMA, high volume resistance training, CHO is likely to lead to better performance and improvements in said areas.

Generally, I assume that people looking to lose weight and asking for diet advice are not yet in a place where they need a specialized diet to meet high-performance athletic goals, but it is a fair point that a high carb load is important for specific activities.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    insanity-wolf-meme-generator-carbs-nom-nom-nom-nom-c8cdc5.jpg

If you just switched to low carb, you will have reduced energy levels for a while.

And you must also eat more fat as that is now your fuel source.

As for people that say you cannot do hard workouts low carb, they are wrong. Keto-adaption, when you finally hit it, gives you more energy then you ever had in your entire life. It is not always an easy journey to get there. I just recently started testing negative for ketones, despite being ZERO carb. I have more energy and feel wonderful all day long. I cannot describe it at all. It is truly amazing. I am getting most of my calories from fat and eating lots of nice meaty protein. I am definately a born carnivore :D

Eating low carb, high protein, low fat is a death sentence. All ancestral people who had a natural, low carb diet ate most of their calories from fat. Eating low carb requires you not get more than 35% of your calories from protein and the rest should come from fat.

As your kidneys become increasingly more efficient, you will also need to be sure you get a little extra salt. If you run out of energy while low carb, high fat, its salt you lack.

Dr. Stephen Phinney just came out with an excellent book about doing low carb correctly. He has spent 30 year studying low carb athletes and provides amazing insights based on real science instead of bro science.

There is no such thing as an essential carb, but you do require time to adapt as we have spent our entire lives, since birth, being fed sugars in various forms.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you just switched to low carb, you will have reduced energy levels for a while.

As for people that say you cannot do hard workouts low carb, they are wrong. Keto-adaption, when you finally hit it, gives you more energy then you ever had in your entire life. It is not always an easy journey to get there. I just recently started testing negative for ketones, despite being ZERO carb. I have more energy and feel wonderful all day long. I cannot describe it at all. It is truly amazing. I am getting most of my calories from fat and eating lots of nice meaty protein. I am definately a born carnivore :D

Eating low carb, high protein, low fat is a death sentence. All ancestral people who had a natural, low carb diet ate most of their calories from fat. Eating low carb requires you not get more than 35% of your calories from protein and the rest should come from fat.

As your kidneys become increasingly more efficient, you will also need to be sure you get a little extra salt. If you run out of energy while low carb, high fat, its salt you lack.

Dr. Stephen Phinney just came out with an excellent book about doing low carb correctly. He has spent 30 year studying low carb athletes and provides amazing insights based on real science instead of bro science.

There is no such thing as an essential carb, but you do require time to adapt as we have spent our entire lives, since birth, being fed sugars in various forms.

I assume you mean the fat adaptation theory, which is as much a fairy tale as the supposed metabolic advantage to low carb diets
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I assume you mean the fat adaptation theory, which is as much a fairy tale as the supposed metabolic advantage to low carb diets

The idea that an endurance athlete can go from being dependent on primarily glucose, to burning mostly fat at similar intensities isn't a fairy tale. Otherwise there wouldn't be low-carbing marathoners out there like myself.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

The idea that an endurance athlete can go from being dependent on primarily glucose, to burning mostly fat at similar intensities isn't a fairy tale. Otherwise there wouldn't be low-carbing marathoners out there like myself.
    Nothing like some solid anecdotal evidence. :drinker:
  • grinch031
    Options

Look up Stephen Phinney. Your snide remarks are getting old.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Look up Stephen Phinney. Your snide remarks are getting old.
    It's ok, the feeling is mutual, might I point out the ignore option to your left.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

The point is, it's a lifestyle choice based on the individuals adaptability and capability of long term success, not that there is an advantage, one way or the other.
  • kbrenna1
    Options
    If you're feeling crappy, have a little piece of fruit. Somedays you may need it, some days you may not. Have a lack of energy, eat some energy!
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have been reducing my carbs by about half each week for about 3 weeks.

Week 1 : Around 200 +
    Week 2: Around 100
    Week 3: Around 50
    Week 4: Around 20-30

I found that I didn't go through the horrible mood swings, lethargic feeling aka "carb flu" as someone above called it. When I stopped eating as many carbs I increased my fat consumption and protein (I was not getting enough even if I was following a normal diet) to give my body fuel and to feel full longer. I find I actually have more energy now then ever before, sleep better, feel well rested after less sleep, have better concentration....honestly it's just made me a better person.

I should also say I have PCOS/IR so a metabolic disorder of sorts so this is the only way I know to lose weight. Calories in/out just does jack **** for me...don't be a hater please =)
  • slo02ee
    Options
    all week I've been focusing on protien and trying to limit carbs but yesterday after my egg and cheese breakfast i felt like crap all day. achy, tired etc. So today i had half a glass of chocolate milk with my eggs and cheese and feel tons better, even on 4.5 hrs sleep thanks to a sick coughing wife. Could my lethergy yesterday have come from a lack of carbs in the am???

I'm going to get attacked for this but just sharing my personal experience. When I limit carbs, I feel like crap for the first 4-5 days. It's like going through withdrawal. You might experience tiredness, headaches, crabbiness, etc, very similar to any addict in withdrawal. After you make it through this initial period, you will most likely feel loads better. When I cheat and eat something very carby, I feel like I ran into a brick wall and the cycle repeats. This is the best motivation to not cheat on sugary items.

This site is very anti low carb, but this is what I have found to be true for me.
  • Acg67
    Options

But it's effects on the same or better performance is. A lot of fat adaptation believers will bring up the Phinney Obese subject study and cyclist studies, so go read those and keep an eye out on the results and the huge confounders
  • grinch031
    Options

But it's effects on the same or better performance is. A lot of fat adaptation believers will bring up the Phinney Obese subject study and cyclist studies, so go read those and keep an eye out on the results and the huge confounders

So are you saying performance will decrease in most cases? What about train low, race high? What about the targeted ketogenic diet where carbs are eaten around exercise? Are these all detrimental to performance?

Lyle McDonald doesn't think its all just a fairy tale. He's not saying the performance is better, but the research really needs to be sorted out.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/cyclical-ketogenic-diets-and-endurance-performance-qa.html
  • neanderthin
    Options

So are you saying performance will decrease in most cases? What about train low, race high? What about the targeted ketogenic diet where carbs are eaten around exercise? Are these all detrimental to performance?

Lyle McDonald doesn't think its all just a fairy tale. He's not saying the performance is better, but the research really needs to be sorted out.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/cyclical-ketogenic-diets-and-endurance-performance-qa.html
    I especially like the part where Lyle mentions that the ultimate endurance athletes, kenyan runners, consume 70% carbs.
  • grinch031
    Options

I especially like the part where Lyle mentions that the ultimate endurance athletes, kenyan runners, consume 70% carbs.

Also he points out since they run 3 times a day, they likely spend time running in a glycogen-depleted state. So they aren't carb-loaded at all times like the traditional healthy diet would have us.
  • Acg67
    Options

I'm glad you read that and understood it.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Also he points out since they run 3 times a day, they likely spend time running in a glycogen-depleted state. So they aren't carb-loaded at all times like the traditional healthy diet would have us.
    Most, if not all endurance athletes will be running in a glycogen depleted state some of the time if they train 3 times a day, probably not on race day though. I would imagine they feed in a way that gives them the best advantage to be the best in the world, and it seems there eating quite a few carbs on a daily basis.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    makes me kind of worried that i might be pre-diabetic...

Go to the doctor ASAP! You shouldn't start a diet (or I prefer saying a lifestyle change) without having blood tests first, especially since you have over 100lbs to lose.
  • grinch031
    Options

I'm glad you read that and understood it.

None of this is new to me. I've actually been doing "train low, race high" for the past 6 weeks. My whole opinion on carbs is that they are most effective when planned around exercise. I definitely don't subscribe to the idea that everyone needs 50% or more of their diet to be in the form of carbs. Even endurance athletes who aren't Kenyan of course.
  • grinch031
    Options

Most, if not all endurance athletes will be running in a glycogen depleted state some of the time if they train 3 times a day, probably not on race day though. I would imagine they feed in a way that gives them the best advantage to be the best in the world, and it seems there eating quite a few carbs on a daily basis.

I plan to carb-load on race day even though most days I'm running low-carb. Instead of being dependent on the carb-load (and falling apart without it), the carb-load is actually going to give me a performance boost.