Do you workout at home?

Options
I have to cancel my gym membership its getting to expensive :/

What are some must haves to workout at home?

What do you recommend doing?

Replies

• wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I workout to videos. Sounds cheesy, but that way I know what combination of moves to do, for how long, and the equipment needed to get a full workout.
  • horsemadami
    Options
    the wii is fabulous there is a wide variety of games that get you moving! :-)
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i do the wii active and other dvd workouts.
  • schmoozie26
    schmoozie26 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do TaeBo, Turbo Jam, Jillian, treadmill....I have a wide variety of things. I've seen some posts of some high calories burned doing a 6-8 inch step.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I work out at home everyday. All you need is at least one set of weights, a few resistance bands, a mat if you are working out on a hard floor, some good workout DVDs, and a little bit of space.

I'm currently working out to Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I also have some of Lesley Samsone's "Walk at home" DVD's and several Dance type DVD's. Fun, and very effective.

Good luck. Just keep moving and making your sweat cry! :laugh: :drinker:
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have done 30 day sherd (need weights)
    Insanity (just need yourself)
    Tae Bo (nothing needed)
    Biggest loser (need weights)
    Slim in 6 (they provide the arm band when you purchse)
    Turbo Fire (again everything needed is provided)
  • severnc
    severnc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the Insanity program (by Beachbody). I'm new to myfitnesspal but I did insanity about 6 months ago and it starts to show results in like a week...you just have to push through the first week or two of muscle soreness. It's harder than most workouts you could put together yourself at the gym...

it's expensive, but i'm sure you can find a way around that...as I did. Although it's probably worth the high pricetag...

All the other beachbody products are also hugely popular, but I think Insanity is the most effective and it requires no equipment.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership. We have an exercise bike. I have a step that I got at a garage sale, weight of various sizes, resistance bands and videos. Turbo Jam, Walk Away the Pounds are what I mostly use. Check out Craigslist for exercise equipment if you want something. Also OnDemand if you have cable.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Yoga mat and those band thingy majiggers...
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Workout videos! There are some Crunch dance ones streaming on Netflix, or you can get them via Amazon or even a library. I ride my bike, go for jobs, hike at Valley Forge, or just dance around my apartment. I also lift books because I only have a few smaller weights.
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    I workout at home. I use a manual treadmill for cardio. It folds up so it doesn't take up that much space when not in use. It's also less expensive to buy and no fear of a motor failing that will be expensive to fix. Check a thrift store or craigslist for a good deal on a used one. I'm also planning to buy some free weights from a store called "Five Below". Check out youtube for lots of different workouts; although some are just samples, some are full-length.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of exercise videos out there

collagevideo.com and totalfitnessdvds.com are 2 really good resources for finding DVDs. They give video clips, reviews, info on equipment needed, impact and fitness level, etc.

You might check your local library out. Get a feel for what you like before spending a lot of money. There is everything from dance, kickboxing, bootcamp, hooping (think hula). So much to chose.

hulu.com has an exercise & fitness channel .... you can stream workouts from there
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I work out at my local community center for $20 a month, and I love it. The equipment is somewhat limited, but really, all I need is the elliptical and treadmill for cardio and I'm good to go. You may want to look into community centers in your local area and see what they have to offer. I went to the brand-new, massive designer gym in my area this morning to check it out and found that it was $200+ just to get registered and "processed"- no thanks. I'll take the 80 year olds at the community center over what I found in that place, any day of the week. At least they are respectful- and they are da** good motivators- if they can work out, I can.
    The community center has weights, but I just went to Walmart and picked a set of 15lb for under $30-works for me for when I want to lift in the evenings.
    I own Jillian's 30DS, and I respect the woman, but I HATE that video with a passion.
    If you have Netflix and/or Hulu, check out their workout videos- I found a great Pilates one that I've been doing once a week or so just to mix it up.
    The only workout video that I own that I love to pieces is Gurmukh's Kundalini Yoga- INCREDIBLE workout and she's very airy-fairy to the point that it makes you giggle, but she's not messing around. At the same time, she is very encouraging and soothing. I have had this DVD for a decade and I still love it. I think you can get it on Amazon for $7-8.
    Hope that helps.
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i do tae bo, elliptical machine, bike, jillian michaels 30DS, callenetics..
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I like the workout ideas in the "Fitness" section of Pinterest. You can also YouTube at-home workouts or check some out from your library. Not to mention Walmart, Target, and Amazon.com have pretty good deals on workout DVDs, jump ropes, dumbbells, etc.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ive recently moved into working out at home. I'm going to let my gym membership expire because I don't feel I get a good combo workout in there. I have c25k, insanity, p90x and some Jillian Michaels workouts as well as yoga and Netflix has a few things. I also have a treadmill at home. Hey, in the middle of the workout if I have to pee I don't have to worry about losing the machine to someone else :p
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and a Gazelle Air Walker but neither are needed to get a good workout at home. I also have a set of bands and some free weights and a whole bunch of DVD's that I use in rotation to keep things interesting. My DVD's range from Tae Bo to Jillian Michael's to Biggest Loser, to Pilates and more. You name it, I've probably got atleast 1 of them all of which I use here of there just when I get bored or need a change.

I also have purchased all the DVD's on sale at K-Mart or on amazon so I didn't pay a fortune for these things.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Exercise bike, and P90x.
  • kjobb78
    Options
    Zumba!!! Use the 20 minute fitness express. It is great if you only have a little bit of time to work out.
    :happy:
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have done 30 day sherd (need weights)
    Insanity (just need yourself)
    Tae Bo (nothing needed)
    Biggest loser (need weights)
    Slim in 6 (they provide the arm band when you purchse)
    Turbo Fire (again everything needed is provided)

SO true! Anything with Jilian or Bob (30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, No more Trouble Zones) Will totally work. I am almost done with Ripped in 30 and it has made a HUGE difference!

I would say, for the best results, go for either 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30. They are only 10 bucks at walmart and will help you get in the habbit and grove of working out at home and will help you burn major calories and lose a lot of weight!!! SOOO worth it =)

Also, check out the Beach Body website. THey have Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, P90X, Insanity, Slim and Six. ALL of there programs are SOOOO successful! THey kick your butt and are some of the hardest ones you will find but they give results if you give em your all. Have seen results from my mom and brother completing P90X and I did Turbo Jam and lost a lot of weight. Anything from them is gonna get you results.