FAGE Greek yogurt VS. YOPLAIT (FAKE!) Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• vachm
    vachm Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also try Siggi's skyr Icelandic yogurt - also strained - and the flavored ones are VERY low sugar. Go to their website - it's very informative. If you like your yogurt not so sweet and hi pro - this is good. Love Fage too.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure there's not corn starch in Chobani. BTW, if you're near a Randall's, Open Nature Greek yogurt is pretty good. I picked up a couple of cups of the 1% plain. I put a touch of natural sweetener and a little trail mix in it.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    Also try Siggi's skyr Icelandic yogurt - also strained - and the flavored ones are VERY low sugar. Go to their website - it's very informative. If you like you yogurt not so sweet and hi pro - this is good. Love Fage too.

Hey, what store have you found that in?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I prefer my own homemade greek yogurt, its not hard to make, and saves a ton on cash.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the Oikos in my fridge...CORNSTARCH! Guess I'm going to have to try and find Fage. I've tried Chobani before. I wonder if that has cornstarch as well?

No...Chobani is good too...my second favorite after Fage. I eat the flavored Chobani's as a treat or dessert once in a while because they do have sugar in them but definitely no cornstarch :)
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've been a Fage eater for a year or two now as well...though recently I bought lemon chobani and pomegranate chobani...the lemon is good...the pomegranate is incredible. I've been pretty much addicted to it since.

Have you seen the Blood Orange Chobani? It should be illegal to be that good! :smile:
  • jedavis824
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with FAGE is to add Trader Joe's unsweetened chunky applesauce and some ground flaxseed...makes an AWESOME fat free high protein snack! Tried the FAGE minis but then read the label and they are loaded with sugars, but soooo good LOL:happy: Was very disappointed with the Yoplait and you are very right when you call it fake!

This sounds like a great snack idea!
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I just started eating Greek yogurt. LOVE Fage, but I have been buying a Trader Joe's brand that is just as good. I love adding blueberries, a sprinkle of cinnamon, stevia, and vanilla extract and I SWEAR it literally tastes like blueberry cobbler. So yummy. :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    There are 2 other fakers out there:
    1. Greek Gods (Hello Pectin!)
    2. Dannon Oikos (More thickeners. The Stonyfield Organic Oikos is still right)

I have a new fave though...bye bye Fage, Wallaby Organic wins -- no clue if it comes in a big pack though.
  • jadedone
    Options
    Also try Siggi's skyr Icelandic yogurt - also strained - and the flavored ones are VERY low sugar. Go to their website - it's very informative. If you like you yogurt not so sweet and hi pro - this is good. Love Fage too.

They have it at Whole Foods. It is tarter than Chobani/similar.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options

They have it at Whole Foods. It is tarter than Chobani/similar.

Cool! I could damn near walk to my Whole Foods. That's great. :happy:
  • HoneyRiot
    HoneyRiot Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    http://www.chobani.com/products/c/lowfat/

I only looked at the Strawberry/Banana nutrition and there is not any cornstarch. The ingredients look really good to me.

I recently switched to greek yogurt as well. I love the Chobani's. I haven't seen Fage, but I'm going to keep a lookout to try one. :)
  • jadedone
    Options
    http://www.chobani.com/products/c/lowfat/

I only looked at the Strawberry/Banana nutrition and there is not any cornstarch. The ingredients look really good to me.

I recently switched to greek yogurt as well. I love the Chobani's. I haven't seen Fage, but I'm going to keep a lookout to try one. :)

I think Chobani does a better job with flavors than Fage. Or maybe it is more accurate to say Fage is overpriced for the flavored. IT keeps the preserves or honey in a side compartment. Chobani is fruit on the bottom or blended.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have Lowfat Cabot..it contains pasteurized milk, skim milk, whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, live active yogurt cultures, enzymes, vitamins.
    SO it doesn't have gelatin or corn starch but has whey & milk protein added. I think that should be ok. I don't mind the taste at all. It has 22g protein per serving.
  • quererespoder
    quererespoder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one who's on to them : http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/yoplait-greek-yogurt-healthy/

Nice catch, and thanks for posting.

PS - I make my own Greek yogurt - a little bit of effort,, but I get a QUART of all natural, yummy, creamy heaven for less than $4 :)

i cant get greek yogurt where i live , but my cousin makes all natural homemade fruit yogurt for me. zero preservatives or anything. I heard you can make greek yogurt from regular and you seem to know how! mind telling me about it? i've been dying to know hahaha and tomorrow im going to my cousin's house so it would be the perfect time to experiment :D
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up :) I use Dannon Oikos greek yogurt, and the only ingredient is cultured skim milk so I think I'm okay. I've always wanted to try FAGE because I always hear great reviews about it, but I can't find it at my local grocery store :(
  • firedancer22
    Options
    you have to look carefully at the labels. fage is greek yogurt. at trader joes, they call their version "greek style" yogurt, which as was already discussed, is just regular yogurt with gelatin and corn starch to make it thicker. oikos, chobani, and yoplait are all greek STYLE yogurt fakes! blech!

IMO, fage is worth the extra $$.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    oikos, chobani, and yoplait are all greek STYLE yogurt fakes! blech!

IMO, fage is worth the extra $$.

Unfortunately, Yoplait does not label theirs as "Greek Style"...
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    PS - I make my own Greek yogurt - a little bit of effort,, but I get a QUART of all natural, yummy, creamy heaven for less than $4 :)

I started making my own last November. It's added a whole new depth to my menu planning. I have a yogurt maker which really helps.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options

My local farmer's market carries it, as does Kroger (regional).