Do you eat your execise calories?

Options
When you work out and gain extra calories burned do you eat more food that day to keep your net calories the same or do you still eat your normal suggested caloric amount?

I tend to only eat my suggested caloric amount 1800 calories regardless of my calories burned exercising. I am getting used to eating small portions and don't really feel the need to eat more calories if I exercise that day!

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    no.
  • AceyFaceX
    Options
    I usually end up using mine. It's comforting to know that they're there, because I usually go over my calorie limit if I don't exercise... so they're usually used to pay for my mistakes. lol. I need to work on that.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Eating my exercise calories is why I exercise. :)

But of course I am set to 1200 calories per day.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yes (well most of the time anyway) otherwise I get crazy hungry and when I'm crazy hungry I am very irritable, and that's no fun for anyone involved.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Always, keeps you from under eating.
  • alisonjaneyelland
    alisonjaneyelland Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't can't see any point of exercising if your gonna eat the calories ??
  • NicVino
    Options
    I've been thinking the same thing...

I have not been eating my exercise calories though. I exercise 5-6 days a week, sometimes twice a day, and burn between 500-1200 calories a day. I find it to be a waste to eat those calories back; I sweat my butt off trying to burn that many in one day to begin with!

But I am curious to know the "real" answer to this-thanks for asking!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yes!

I can't ask my car to drive an extra 500 km without extra fuel.

I shouldn't ask my body to work extra had without extra fuel.

I'm exercising to be strong & healthy, not for the saking of eating more!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    No I don't.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    A few if I have a full workout. I try to eat around 1500-1600 if I am not exercising and 1700-1800 if I am.

My goal is 1700. My goals is to average 1700 for the week.

I will eat more and go over if I am hungry.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I eat 50-90% of them back. I have tried not to but I platued. I had to up my intake from 1200 to 1250 plus eat most of my excercise calories. I wear a Heart rate monitor that gives me my exact calorie count. I can feel assured when I am eating those extra calories, that I actually earned them. BTW what my HRM says compared to what a machine or MFP says I burned is usually way less. Makes a huge difference
  • alisonjaneyelland
    alisonjaneyelland Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Surely you would loose weight slower if I ate my exercise calories back ??
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Yes, because the site already gives me a deficit. If I am eating 1500 a day, burn 300 then I'm running on 1200 which isn't enough for my body (since without losing weight I'd be eating 1900 to stay the same weight), so I try to eat most back. It definitely isn't pointless. Exercise helps burn fat, helps your heart, builds muscle, and eating some healthy cals back won't stop that, it will fuel you!

Disclaimer blah blah blah, everyone is different, etc....
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't either....
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes - but I don't trust the site. I think it overestimates by as high as double for some exercises.
  • bfeusner
    bfeusner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I mean I know that if you set you weight loss goal in MFP it tells you that if you keep your net caloric intake at that number you will lose the weight in the amount of time your requested. I feel like not eating my exercise calories will help me reach my goal faster the only thing I don't want to do is slow down my body's metabolism by not eating enough calories for what my body needs to function.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    When you work out and gain extra calories burned do you eat more food that day to keep your net calories the same or do you still eat your normal suggested caloric amount?

I tend to only eat my suggested caloric amount 1800 calories regardless of my calories burned exercising. I am getting used to eating small portions and don't really feel the need to eat more calories if I exercise that day!
    Under eating calories tends to lead to lean muscle loss, which leads to lower metabolic rate, which leads to having to eat less and exercising more to meet calorie burn.
    The body is smarter than people think. You can't fool it by eating less than it needs to ensure survival.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I don't can't see any point of exercising if your gonna eat the calories ??
    You exercise to be FIT and not just burn calories. If the intention is just to lose weight, you can just diet and have flabby muscles to achieve it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I really don't like this subject because i don't like to be told i'm doing it wrong lol anyway i don't eat my back as a rule. If i'm hungry though i will have something extra but not alot. xx
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Do a search of the forums, we talk about this kind of stuff a lot and that will give you more info. I eat my exercise calories because I need to, I guess I'm a hungry person! You should listen to your body at least as much as you listen to what MFP says- if you're hungry, eat, if you don't want to, don't eat (this is unless you have any sort of eating disorder).

There's more to exercising than just the calories burned- I feel amazing after, it's a stress release, it builds muscle and tones, I sleep better, all of that AND eating dessert are just some of the many benefits. There is a point to exercising, even if you eat all your calories back. Experiment and see what works for you.