Anybody forget how to run?

Options
I'm losing weight and getting stronger. I can feel it. I even took a chance and jaywalked across a 4 lane road! (That's a big deal for me as I usually wait at the crosswalk for the walk signals)

But interestingly I have "forgotten" how to run/jog? Or, when I do it feels heavy on my feet, (especially my left foot), and I think I'm going to break the asphalt! EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!

Maybe its because I'm still really big or need new shoes, or I'm just simply running "wrong"?

Replies

• jdleaser68
    Options
    Running is the king of all exercises (so said Bruce Lee), and if you haven't done it in a long time, you will need to reacclimate your body to it. Take it easy at first and make sure you take time to warm up before and stretch out/cool down after. The last thing you want is to end up with stress fractures or tendonitis. Good luck!
  • Mazyjo1
    Mazyjo1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How about a walking program first? Then you can run for a few seconds here and there and build up. Good luck!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week. I usually don't find my rhythm until mile 2 or 3. It's like I don't know how to run until I'm halfway through my first 5k...
  • Ljohnverrell
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments and great advice. :)
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    That's so funny. It takes me the first mile at least to get a rhythm. Does anyone have any suggestion for shin sprints on longer distances?
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I usually don't find my rhythm until mile 2 or 3.

^ Me too. I am not really 'ready to go' until around mile 2. :flowerforyou:

You could ease into it by using a walk/jog intervals program, like Couch to 5K, etc.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The intervals are good b/c the program was designed to increase the mileage gradually, with the intent of giving you time to get used to the cardiovascular, respiratory, as well as skeletal/muscular loads on your body.
  • stone307
    Options
    Glad to know I am not the only one that feels this way.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You know, its so funny because when I was in high school, I was F A S T. But now I have about 100 pounds to lose, and have just started jogging a bit. I feel like an earthquake. I feel EVERY fat roll I have bouncing up and down, I know I look absolutely RIDICULOUS doing it, but I do it anyway. And I have to laugh, because only here, on this forum, can I confess this kind of thing. Its nice to be surrounded by people who really get it. :)

I started doing to Couch Potato to 5K program, which eases you back into running. I REALLY like it, and if you need to you can repeat weeks until you catch up physically - and this might be something you want to look into as well. There is a great android app for it on your phone too where you can time your runs and it tells you when to run and when to walk.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That's so funny. It takes me the first mile at least to get a rhythm. Does anyone have any suggestion for shin sprints on longer distances?

My calves are FRIGGIN HUGE. I don't know if its the way I walk or what, but my calves are the size of some people's thighs and all muscle. I don't know how to reduce them, its kind of embarrassing. I get shin splints too, and i don't know how to not get them.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I need 70+ pounds to lose & just turned 40 this year. I started the Couch to 5k program and I never thought I would be able to. I am in week 3 now and love it !! I was so self conscious in the beginning about the way I looked running down the sidewalk, like an elephant or something. I just made myself do it & just kept thinking to hell with what anyone else thinks, I am doing this for ME.
    I can't wait until the day I can run a full 5K!
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options

My calves are FRIGGIN HUGE. I don't know if its the way I walk or what, but my calves are the size of some people's thighs and all muscle. I don't know how to reduce them, its kind of embarrassing. I get shin splints too, and i don't know how to not get them.

I had shin splints & after I got fitted at the running store for some new shoes, the pain went away. It started to creep back recently & I couldn't figure out why. I had also started doing 30 Day Shred on my "rest" days and in the beginning of the 30 Day Shred video she has you doing jumping jacks & jump roping. I read online that jumping jacks can cause shin splints because of the hard impact on the shin bone when you land on both feet. After stopping the jumping jacks for a couple days,I went on my run and had minor shin pain but nothing that was unbearable..
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Shin splints? Yes, run on soft ground such as grass or sand or dirt-track. Running on pavement or concrete has no give in it and the shock it sends up your legs is enormous to be honest. Ensure you have a decent pair of running shoes too.
  • Ttrishaa
    Ttrishaa Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I get shin splints when I am walking on hard surfaces for too long. I work for a horse trainer and when we go to shows where every surface is pavement, it's pretty painful to keep going by day three if the show has been a busy one. It's better for me since I switched to Nike running shoes though.