Creepy guys at the gym

Options

Replies

• sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I would honestally just take it as a compliment.. and go on with my own thing. Alittle attenetion never hurt anyone... did it? :laugh:

Or post about it to get even more attn :D
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    i have to say this... while it isnt right to be stalked at the gym or feel uncomfortable... no girl asks for this or anything....

but i have to say, some girls that go to the gym are wearing "hey look at me" outfits... maybe the intention isnt hey look at me but sometimes it just comes out like that...

i mean imagine JLO going to the gym wearing yoga pants... or just a random girl that looked like jlo going to the gym wearing yoga pants... 9 times out of 10, someone will look... the girl cant help it because thats how she is shaped but since that is so out there, a guy may look..

take it as a compliment and just ignore... but there are girls that sometimes dress alittle skimpy for the gym

This is soo true it's unbelievable. I've actually even seen girls with full on makeup, getting all sweaty and their crayon gangbang melting off of their faces. Jeez, some girls..

Crayon gangbang, priceless!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    ^ how did guys cross the line?

and its soooooooo true that if it was a hot guy, girls would be flattered.... if it was an ugly guy, you would treat him as if he were a Dateline episode!

I have to agree with you on this because I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure if it was some hot guy it would feel differently.

It would not. Staring at my *kitten* while I'm working out is creepy regardless of how hot that person may be.

I disagree. If some smokin hot guy is checking you out, and it bothers you, it ain't because your creeped out, it's because you have image issues and it makes you uncomfortable. Sorry. I've had the feeling.
    I know it's the gym and it's not exactly the time and place for it, buts it still always secretly flattering.

Would you rather no guys check you out? Cause I know a couple of women who don't get checked out and they notice. I wouldn't want to feel like them.

I'd rather not be checked out when I'm sweaty and horrible. It's not a compliment. I don't ask for it when I'm in sweatpants and a loose t-shirt and no make up. I'm there to work out, not be stared at and followed around. That's creepy regardless of who's doing it.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have to say being an ugly/fat guy in a gym you do tend to get dirty looks from a lot of people, especially women, I tried to start saying good morning and smiling when my eyes met another persons, often times I would just get a nod or ignored completely. Somtimes I am sure people thought I was staring ... but it was because I had never seen someone balance on ball on one leg while doing arm curls... or seeing someone do what I could only call frog jumps across the area. I am staring .. but because I have never seen anyone do that and I wonder what its doing for them as far as muscles. I am sooo not confident enough to ask them as I feel I would break thier rythm but I am sure I am views as a creepy person!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options

and its soooooooo true that if it was a hot guy, girls would be flattered.... if it was an ugly guy, you would treat him as if he were a Dateline episode!

I have to agree with you on this because I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure if it was some hot guy it would feel differently.

It would not. Staring at my *kitten* while I'm working out is creepy regardless of how hot that person may be.

I disagree. If some smokin hot guy is checking you out, and it bothers you, it ain't because your creeped out, it's because you have image issues and it makes you uncomfortable. Sorry. I've had the feeling.
    I know it's the gym and it's not exactly the time and place for it, buts it still always secretly flattering.

Would you rather no guys check you out? Cause I know a couple of women who don't get checked out and they notice. I wouldn't want to feel like them.

I'd rather not be checked out when I'm sweaty and horrible. It's not a compliment. I don't ask for it when I'm in sweatpants and a loose t-shirt and no make up. I'm there to work out, not be stared at and followed around. That's creepy regardless of who's doing it.

i could assure you that unless those are tight sweatpants, you wont be looked at... if its tight and you have an *kitten* like kim kardashian, you might...

it sucks... and i know it bothers women but lets call a spade a spade... if you have these issues, it might be time to work out at home....
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

i could assure you that unless those are tight sweatpants, you wont be looked at... if its tight and you have an *kitten* like kim kardashian, you might...

it sucks... and i know it bothers women but lets call a spade a spade... if you have these issues, it might be time to work out at home....

Oh please. He's the one acting inappropriately and I'm the one that you're suggesting should leave.
    WTF?
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    I go at 5 am, when it first opens...obviously very few people there. However, one guy seems to use the equipment right next to another person, even though there are 6-8 other available machines...personal space, people, especially when the gym is empty!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The way I see it is this.

If someone is looking at you and it bothers you, ignore it.

If they are following you around or harassing you, report them to the staff.

It is hard to keep your eyes off someone who looks good and is attractive working out. Plus with mirrors everywhere and these small overly crowded gyms, there isn't really anywhere to look, so why not look at the most attractive person in the room? But we all should have enough decency to let someone workout without being harassed.
  • AngelEyes127
    Options
    He obviously was trying to make conversation with you by coming over to help you with the weights. Maybe he wanted to get to know you better. You honestly can't blame a guy for checking out your *kitten* if you have a great *kitten*! I would! I think if anything, you should feel good about yourself that this guy was checking you out. I wouldn't take it like he's a creeper or anything. It doesn't sound that way at all.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If he was attractive i would have given him a flirty smile, if not just ignored it. You can't fault a guy for looking at someone he thinks is attractive. I used to do the same thing at the gym. Not helping with the weights, lol, but maybe a little extended looking... :happy:
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Accept the compliment and keep going... It's not like he followed you into the locker room or out to your car.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    he must be ugly. only ugly guys are creepy.

Not even close to true. One of the creepiest guys at our gym is very nice looking, if you just saw his picture in a magazine or something. But I know his personality, and he is indeed creepy. And the guy who kind of stalks me at the gym is a nice looking gentleman, but I'm not there to meet men, and it took quite a while for him to get that through his skull. He's stopped hopping on the elliptical next to me and trying to start conversations, but I still catch him staring as I work out a lot, and wandering toward whatever weights I am using at the time. Funny whenever I notice that, my set is magically over!
  • That's why I don't go to the gym! Eek!
  • Wow. People are allowed to go to the gym without being harassed and stared at. If you pay a membership to be there, you have the right to be, and not to be bothered.

Geez...
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not female.
    I'd calmly walk over, grab his head and crush his face into my boobs.
    IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT!???

What a bad girl I would be!

very bad but extremely hilarious the mental picture was almost as good as the real thing! :laugh:

seriously what I would have said was "if you think you are being discreet you need to go home and practice because if you dont stop oggling me Im going to complain to staff. Im here to work not pick up." Plain and simple in man terms if you like. :)
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not female.
    I'd calmly walk over, grab his head and crush his face into my boobs.
    IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT!???

What a bad girl I would be!
    lmao nothing like a sweaty pair of boobs in ur face :noway:
  • Pir8Rav
    Pir8Rav Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Jesus - complaints when you're big, complaints when you get fit...
    creeps - sure they're just that but grow a backbone
    and tell people how you feel when you feel it - no matter your size or mindset.

You'll find people appreciate the honesty, at the least they'll know where you stand.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    The way I see it is this.

If someone is looking at you and it bothers you, ignore it.

If they are following you around or harassing you, report them to the staff.

It is hard to keep your eyes off someone who looks good and is attractive working out. Plus with mirrors everywhere and these small overly crowded gyms, there isn't really anywhere to look, so why not look at the most attractive person in the room? But we all should have enough decency to let someone workout without being harassed.

Agreed that looking is no big thing but following me around and then standing behind me while I work out and staring at my *kitten* while I do it is another thing entirely.

I guess sexism is alive and well on MFP, when women should either put up with men ogling them (rather than looking), following them around and using any excuse to 'help' them (5 kg weights not that heavy). Not aimed at the person I'm quoting BTW.

I want to thank everyone at the start of this thread, who make me smile with their creepy guy stories and how to deal with it but it's done way too downhill for me. Okay I'm done with this thread.
  • bigtim65
    Options
    Thing is, there are plenty of women at the gym checking out the guys too. Watch them out of the corner of your eye, they are checking the men out when they think they are not looking.

In my experience a lot of these places can be meat markets in the extreme. Not too different to the beach or the pool - if you put young, good looking people together they are going to check each other out - that's just human nature. No need for men (or women) to be creepy about it, short of wearing a sack or going to a women's only gym (and hey, they still might be checking you out there too) best to ignore it and be flattered.

To be honest it feels even worse when everyone STOPS checking you out.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Wow. People are allowed to go to the gym without being harassed and stared at. If you pay a membership to be there, you have the right to be, and not to be bothered.

Geez...

This. This thread is rife with 'Well don't wear tight gym clothing' 'Jeez, be flattered!' 'Boys will be boys' type comments, but how about not pinning the blame on the women who do just go there to work out, who pay to work out there in fact. Why not tell the creepy gym guys to stop staring at my *kitten*?