Do you eat your execise calories?

Options

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I punched in my stats into MFP and told it that I am sedentary and didn't want to lose any weight and it told me to eat 2800 calories, so I set my own personal custom goal to under that (2400) and I strive to get as close to it without going over. Sometimes I go over, but not usually, and not by much when I do.

I don't eat back my exercise calories, and I don't track exercise in MFP because it's too limiting and tedious to track it all, plus I have severe doubts it would be accurate. And I don't work out crazy amounts - for me, I had to make a lifestyle change, and that just means being more active in general and working out what I felt was reasonable for me to do for the rest of my life. I settled on around an hour of exercise every other day, not counting anything else I do during the day.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    btw i just got a hrm and used it for the first time last night, did zumba for 60 minutes and hrm says i burned 667 calories vs mfp says i burned 1000- that's a HUGE difference

How did MFP tell you you burned 1,000 at Zumba? Zumba isn't in the MFP database is it?
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine back and am doing just fine.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I don't anymore.

Read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/471769-an-easier-way-to-setup-goal-calories-eating-for-who-you-wi

Of course, my calorie goal is set high to take into account exercise.

If your calorie goal is 1200 calories a day, you should eat your exercise calories. Or just eat more in general. Starvation diets are out of date, and they don't work long term.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yes! I don't just want to lose weight, I want to be strong and healthy also!
  • Ambamm77
    Options
    I eat them if I need them. That is if I am hungry. I often don't eat all of them but I do "use" them on days I don't exercise as I typically go over on those days. To me it isn't just day to day but more of an overall average for about a week. Yes, MFP does over estimate the burned calories that is why I use a special band or a HRM to help determine a more accurate number. I think the main thing is finding what works for you and fueling your body. It will tell you when you need food just be sure you are hearing it right and not bored or thirsty.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I've been on mfp for a month today and this topic gets asked (and answered a million different ways) often! I'm very confused, i'm given a budget of 1200 calories a day to eat then i usually workout 4-5 days a week and burn At least 500 calories each time... does that mean i'm supposed to eat 1700 a day when i workout and 1200 on the days i don't?! I get the whole deficit is already added into your daily caloric budget, but in order for me to lose 2 pounds a week i'm supposed to have a weekly deficit of 7000?! (i'm 235 pounds now) I'm getting a headache just typing this out :-/
    Well based on your weight and age (I guessed your height to be average 5'4") your BMR is over 1800. Add in daily activity and exericse you're well over 2500 calories for the day. So if you're just eating 1200 and NOT eating back your exercise calories, your deficit is TOO high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    I eat at least 1280 cals a day regardless of exercise or no exercise.

Here's the thing: I love to eat. Exercising lets me eat more. So yes, I usually eat my exercise calories. The net calories is what matters in the end.

Unless it's a week like this week where I have a big meal headed my way. I've known all week that my husband is taking me out to a fancy dinner this weekend, including dessert and wine. :love: I've been stashing those exercise calories into my calorie bank. Not that I've gone hungry at all this week. I've just been careful to pick foods that are low in calorie AND filling. And pushing it a little harder in cardio. And forgoing the latte for a black coffee instead!
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I don't anymore.

Read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/471769-an-easier-way-to-setup-goal-calories-eating-for-who-you-wi

Of course, my calorie goal is set high to take into account exercise.

If your calorie goal is 1200 calories a day, you should eat your exercise calories. Or just eat more in general. Starvation diets are out of date, and they don't work long term.

Thank you for posting this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    This thread can be ironic for those who snub the HCG diet, but eat like they are on it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    No No No
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. MFP already calculates a 750 cal deficit for me. How is my body supposed to run without proper fuel?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Yes. I like to maintain my muscle mass. It is not a race, and i will look better if I don't under eat.

There are SO many more reasons to exercise besides weight loss. You all know that right?
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the gym before work tomorrow just so I have exercise calories to eat back. Ha!
  • akossen
    akossen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 daily calories and don't eat back my exercise calories. I only work out 4x a week and if I were to eat them back on those days I would most likely overeat on the days I don't exercise. So, for me, I don't I stay as close to 1200/day and when I'm feeling a little hungry I drink a glass of water instead....it gets my water in and curbs my snacking.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    This thread can be ironic for those who snub the HCG diet, but eat like they are on it.

I actually did the HCG diet and lost 70 pounds, most of which was muscle mass. But it got me what I wanted at the time FAST results.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

ironic for a lot of reasons-unqualified people stating what is right or wrong!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I don't can't see any point of exercising if your gonna eat the calories ??
    You exercise to be FIT and not just burn calories. If the intention is just to lose weight, you can just diet and have flabby muscles to achieve it.

IDEA Fitness member

Perfect response

I would say eat your exercise calories, however if you have your goal set to only lose a small amount of weight and your calorie target is high maybe you don't need to eat them it kind of depends on the circumstances. As long as you're not netting too low, and eating to your BMR that's the main thing. I actually have my calorie goal set to maintain on MFP but that's not my goal, I don't eat my exercise calories because I look for the green numbers and the overall weekly deficit.