need help, advice...anything

Options
Ok. So this is the story:
Last year, this time, I started here. I got a membership at a gym and was going 3-4 times a week and eating well. I lost.. a little. then I found Dr. Gundrys diet. So I tried that. It said not to work out for the first 2-6 weeks phase so I stopped working out and lost 7.5 lbs with that. From there I did HCG which was awful and not recommended but for a short time, I lost 8 lbs. during this time, my husband and I have decided to go vegan. We have done well on most days finding alternatives and eating more vegetables etc. BUT not only have I NOT lost weight, but I gained back the 8 lbs i lost during HCG (not surprisingly). Im working out..a little, trying to get back into it. Im so frustrated at being this weight. I want to lose abot 25-30 lbs but mostly i want to be TONED! I need advice on what to do...how to get there. i feel like ive tried everything. i would like to try to stay vegan but i need someone to show me the light!~ :)

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Appetite for Reduction is an AWESOME vegan cookbook. I'm not vegan and I love to make her recipes.... they are yummy, healthy, and the serving sizes are huge.

I also recommend 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels-- it's a quick workout and tones up the body really well!
  • Trulyfree
    Options
    I've had friends who have tried some of the things you mentioned and they all gained weight back eventually.
    These are quick fixes that aren't for the long-term.
    If good health and weight loss are your goals, then healthy eating/calorie counting and exercise is the key.
    It takes time and patience. Hang in there!
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a vegan diet, but wanted to share that I have lost 7 pounds in the past month and all I did was join this website and start calorie-counting. Once I was forced to see how many calories are really in some foods, that was all it took to stop eating as much. I refuse to give up foods- carbs, chocolate- I still have it, but really being faithful to my goal is key and moderation really is working for me. I realize that some of those may be the easy few to lose at first, and I will plateau, but it was good for me to see that counting calories does make a real difference. I don't believe in any diet that's out there. You can lose weight on your own, without buying any gimmick. It's going to be hard work, and take time, but anybody can lose weight- it's the maintenance and learning to have that lifestyle that is the important part. YOU CAN DO IT!!! :happy:
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I want to lose abot 25-30 lbs but mostly i want to be TONED! I need advice on what to do...how to get there. i feel like ive tried everything. i would like to try to stay vegan but i need someone to show me the light!~ :)

Keep with your vegan choice. Make sure to get plenty of protein ( I suggest 70g a day) but I'm no nutritionist.

I second Jillina Michaels' 30 day shred. You could start moderate strength training to help tone - maybe pick 1 lifting exersice for 4 different muscle groups. Try to do high weights with 10 reps. 2-3x a week. This makes the workout fairly quick & eaiser to stick with.

My heavy weights are all still 5 and 10 lbs, nothing outrageous, but its challenging weight for me. Start one set each time for first week, only increase weight and # of sets (max 3 sets) when the weight feels easy. Play with it, see how YOUR muscles adapt and adjust as you feel is right.

And keep up some cardio on non-lifting days if you can. No need to hammer out hour long cardio sessions IMO. You'll be focusing on your nutrition at the same time. Need to have the balance between workouts, and life's daily demands or you could get burnt out with an aggressive plan.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    it's the maintenance and learning to have that lifestyle that is the important part.

I totally agree!!

Finding the day in and day out routine that works for you is what will keep you maintaining. .... Now if only I could do it too!
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    thanks everyone for all your thoughts! I have and currently am doing the 30 day shred, but do I dare say...it doesnt feel hard enough for me??? im going to stick it out and maybe do 2 a day work out when i can. I will continue doing vegan, but i think i need to focus more on protien. When I was eating high protein and working out, I had a ton of energy and built some good muscle tone. Guess i need to start adding protein shakes in on a daily. you are all right, patience is not my strongest quality...i lack stamina in a major way. BUT, I will continue on....logging my calories, vegan, working out w weights as much as possible and start from there. Im giving myself a full YEAR to lose the 25-30 lbs. I have already given up coffee and alcohol (boo) and my sweets now days seems to be cereal..which is now off limits too.
    thanks for lifting me up and helping me vent and organize my thoughts. sometimes we all just need a swift kick in the *kitten* now and then! :happy: