Crossfit or Personal Trainer??

Options

Replies

• Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently on Crossfit. The writer enjoyed it at first, his girlfriend was into it, and had some good things to say about it, but in the end, it wasn't for him. He also said that it's possible to injure yourself because of not using correct form for many of the skills or weight lifting portions of it. The benefit is that everyone inspires you.. it's a group effort and infectious. He said it was all shapes and sizes and the thinnest weren't necessarily the best at it.

I don't think I'm ready for it physically. I am loving my personal trainer. He doesn't babysit me on the circuit machines. Everything he does incorporates a lot of different movements, muscle groups and balance. And I'm definitely burning fat as he moves from one thing to another without rest. I don't know how much cross fit costs, but the trainer isn't cheap.. but I'll do whatever it takes to continue paying for it for now.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd say personal trainer. In our area, the Crossfit trainers suck- three of my close friends have done some major damage to their bodies in the past year- all three have had to take over a month off of work and all three had to have surgery done. They were told to lift too heavy with imporper form. One hurt her knee, one her shoulder, and one her hip.

I'd work with a personal trainer to learn how to lift heavy, and then if I was still interested, then I'd join a Crossfit gym. I would not count on the trainers there to teach me how to lift heavy correctly.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I was looking into CF because I wanted to be pushed instead of being the pusher....but it was SOOOOO EXPENSIVE! How is it as popular as it is, being the cost that it is? I just don't know. Our spiffiest gym costs less than CF. I'll never join for that reason. I'd get a trainer.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    CrossFit if you have the cash! I would SO do it but alas...I'm paid minimum wage right now :(
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    It really depends what your fitness goals are - with a personal trainer you can work much more specific on YOUR goals....

I have not done crossfit, but it seems to be highly competitive (sometimes to the detriment of form) - but you do get the team and social interaction aspects as well....

I do a lot of the crossfit type training one on one with my trainer - and do like it, but from reading forums, and talking to people that has "dropped" crossfit the costs, and also hyper competitveness of some clubs is the main reasons people drop out...
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I did a crossfit course over the summer and lost 30lbs lol best workout of my life and I loved every minute of it...plus its pretty much the same as having a personal trainer except you have other people to compete with...but with me thats what Ineed is compettition
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Crossfit basically is getting a trainer and being a part of a community....

not even close to the same thing.
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has excellent points. I do Crossfit and love it!! But I agree with other posters that some gyms don't know how to teach lifts properly and sometimes discount form for speed. Not all gyms are created equal. I started at one where I began to feel they didn't really know how to teach that well and moved on to a gym that is awesome. If you have multiple gyms in your area shop around. Also, take a look at the coaches certification. I would look for ones that have certifications other than Crossfit and are well rounded in the fitness world. Coaches with a good lifting background are a big plus! It really makes a difference in your experience. Most Crossfit gyms will let you do an intro workout for free. I would go and ask as many questions as possible. I do understand your cost concerns though. That can be a big turn off and was the initial reason why I hesitated trying it for a few years.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I was looking into CF because I wanted to be pushed instead of being the pusher....but it was SOOOOO EXPENSIVE! How is it as popular as it is, being the cost that it is? I just don't know. Our spiffiest gym costs less than CF. I'll never join for that reason. I'd get a trainer.

because it costs money to be an elite athlete. :laugh:

for crossfitters with a sense of humor.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2b2x6C5o0
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've done both, and I'd say it's just a matter of preference. Both can get pricey, and depending on where you are for either will determine which is more expensive than the other. In my experience a personal trainer cost substantially more, but I'm sure it can totally vary.

There are pros and cons to each, and no matter which route you go, make sure the people who are working with you have solid credentials (for Crossfit I'd be looking for coaches with MORE than just the crossfit certification). See if you can get a free appointment with each. See how you mesh with the coach and what the atmosphere is like. It'll be easy to pick up on :)

Now, assuming you've found quality coaches/trainers in each personal training and crossfit, I'd break down my pro/con list into the following:

Personal trainer
    Pros - One on one. Can program specifically to you and your needs.
    Cons - I struggle to workout alone. I often got bored. In my experience it was too expensive.

Crossfit
    Pros - Community for accountability, we have goal setting meetings, also includes yoga/endurance/boxing/mobility/olympic lifting/power lifting separate classes (not all gyms do this), still in a small group setting (~10 people per class), it's only $5.50 an class for my membership, opportunity for going to competitions (like events where you compete based in different classes), coaches who make training programs for specific races in the area.
    Cons - You have to go when it's offered (although we have 9 time slots a day!), some people don't like working out in a group, can be pricey

It's really just a matter of your own preferences. Check them both out before you decide :)
    And of course, remember there are good and bad trainers and good and bad crossfit gyms. Make sure you aren't signing on with any of those!

PS - Personally I saw better results from Crossfit (by FAR). But I put no blame to this on the trainer. Crossfit was just a better fit for me, and I stuck with it! Having the goal setting meetings with the coaches there really helped me a lot as well, in addition to having the open gym time to work on my own goals at the time.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    See if the gym has like a try out session thats what I did it was 6 weeks two nights a week for like 165 bucks this is in Canada thouugh, but it let me try it out without he commitment or money....
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    PErsonal trainer. Personal trainer will tailor a program to YOU, the results you are looking for, etc. Just make sure its a good one, there are a lot of bad ones out there.
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Crossfit - i love it!! people say its expensive but well if you enjoy something you find the money to do it!! i understand america is probably different but i work while study so i can do crossfit cus as someone has already said crossfit is a community as well as a personal trainer, which is probably the biggest difference between the two! I love the friends that i have made at my box and well they make me push harder and they make me never miss a training session, in fact i spend most of my day wanting to be there as it is so much fun and i love challenging myself to do things that i never even dreamed was possible..
    People say crossfit is expensive but that is only because every session is like having a personal trainer - so every session you go harder for longer!! but well who can afford to have one on one personal training 2 + times a day like i do with crossfit?? That is what you really need to think about?? make every burn count!!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The Crossfit Cultists have come out haven't they :P.

Also keep in mind that Crossfit workouts are posted online and you can incorporate them into your own workout, if you workout alone.
  • jeepingirrl
    jeepingirrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work out with a personal trainer twice a week and I love it. When I go to the gym and am not meeting with him I do not work out nearly as hard. He pushes me more than I push myself and that is what I need, so it works well for me. I have never done Crossfit but I have heard good things about it.
  • saraann752003
    Options
    X-FIT, my class is usually only 3-4 people so it's almost as if the trainer is there just for me anyway...
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm debating whether to join a crossfit gym or join a regular gym and look into getting a personal trainer??

THOUGHTS? Just wants some opinions.

Please & Thank You. :]

Look for a trainer that is knowledgeable in the core lifts (squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift) if they steer you towards machines and cardio equipment. Run away!

Here is my problem with Crossfit. In order to be good at Crossfit you need to learn the Olympic lifts. The problem is many Crossfit "trainers" don't know what they are doing. That is why Crossfit as a whole is changing this.

^^^This! Crossfit is cult-ish and the lifts can be complex and a lot of the trainers are not qualified to teach them.
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit crossfit

lol i've worked with personal trainers three times in the past 4 years for about 6-10months stints. In 5 weeks of crossfit i have seen more improvement than anything i have done with a trainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • firedudecndn
    Options
    It depends what your goals are. If you want general overall fitness then cross fit is fine but if you're training for a sport or a specific event then crossfit should only be a tool in your fitness toolbox and a personal trainer could be of much greater benefit.
    As a mountain bike and cross country ski racer I would never do crossfit because I need specific results. Crossfit is fine for overall activity but random workouts bring random results. Specific workouts bring specific results.

Be wary of crossfit though. Some of the exercises they have you do are very high skill exercises and should not be done without direct supervision of someone WHO REALLY REALLY knows what they're doing. I'm not hating on crossfit; I've just seen too many people injured.
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you guys do realise that cross fit have scaled down options to every exercise they do.. the only reason people get injured is cus they overestimate their limits and dont want to scale it.. and so injuries happen but hey that happens in gyms as well and is not just a crossfit thing.. as long as you know and understand your limits crossfit will work for you!! and how come everytime a small group of people start loving something its accused of being called a cult.. we dont randomly give all our money to them.. its a service we get benefits from it!! there are no religious overtunes and well i definitely wouldn't give up my life to crossfit and crossfit definitely isnt strange or sinister..