Vitamin d deficient?

Options
Vitamin d deficient? So my vit d is at 12 units or something like that. Under 100 is considered Deficient. From what I've found and heard It can contribute to all kinds of serious issues like cancers and bone and organ abnormalities. Also causes serious issues when trying to lose weight. My doc has me on 50000 units once a week for 6 weeks. Then 2000 daily after that. Any one else gone thru it? Or going thru it?

Replies

• msmissylowe
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing. My level is 15 and I'm doing the same regimen as you with the 50,000 a week.
    Good luck! I'm sure it will make us feel better as those levels come up.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    We have had some deficiencies here but not had someone do 50,000 IU a week. Not saying it is bad but we were put on daily doses. I found 5000 IU drops that are super handy.

And if you can hit a patch of sunlight for about 20 minutes, it can really help. I know that isn't easy in the winter.
  • JessAryn
    Options
    I also have had issues with being vitamin d deficient for a long time. My doctor only noticed it though when my sister and I seemed depressed. He said we had season depression and has had us taking supplements ever since.

*To make it a more pleasant experience, when my mom goes to special health food stores she buys me the gummy ones as a special treat!* lol =]
  • Mnata
    Mnata Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    And if you can hit a patch of sunlight for about 20 minutes, it can really help. I know that isn't easy in the winter.

Along with sunlight, milk had Vitamin D added to help nutrient absorption. Not a lot, but if you levels are that low every little bit might help.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    imo, vit D is one supplement most people would benefit from.
  • jenslife82
    Options
    My doc noticed because I had a whole work up done and they checked my levels. glad they did too. Crazy dangerous to be something that gets overlooked.
  • jenslife82
    Options

Along with sunlight, milk had Vitamin D added to help nutrient absorption. Not a lot, but if you levels are that low every little bit might help.
    Yep need all of this. I used to drink a ton of milk but not so much any more. Was on 2000 a day but wasn't enough. Needless to say my 3 girls and I will be playing in the sun every chance we get this spring and summer! :)
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i also have this problem. my level was 26. so i have started taking 2,000-4,000 IUs a day. i'm hoping i'll see some improvement in a few months. i'm glad i know about it now.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    question for you all - do you feel like you were in a worse mood or depressed before you got on the supplements? how long until you saw an effect from them? i've been pretty irritable and wondered if this had something to do with it.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My husband just got told he has a vitamin d deficiency too. He's just taking OTC vitamins for now (but the women's, since they have more Vit D).

I heard somewhere that being overweight increases chances of deficiency. It's a vicious cycle!
  • chrislin2011
    chrislin2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Yep need all of this. I used to drink a ton of milk but not so much any more. Was on 2000 a day but wasn't enough. Needless to say my 3 girls and I will be playing in the sun every chance we get this spring and summer! :)

I went through this last Spring. I had all my levels checked and my Vitamin D was the only thing out of whack. I was on the same prescription as you. I did seem to notice a difference after about a week in my mood and energy level. I now take my 2000 a day. I also used to drink ALOT of milk but after I had my kids, I struggle to drink a glass a day. It just doesn't taste good to me anymore. I'm glad they found out about your levels and you are getting them taken care of.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing, mine was at 19 I increased my fat intake to see if it will help with absorption of the vitamin D
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't know the lab you are getting tested from, but the normal range for Vitamin D is about 30-80 (taking into account a little lab variation). The lab I work with is 30-80. You may want to double check your normal range again. It's very common to take 50,000 units 1-3 times a week if you're vitamin D deficient....... If your normal range is in fact <100 (which I think is weird), then I would talk to your provider about taking way more than 50,000 a week.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue over and over, the intense dose at the beginning is to give you some cushion. One secret for me though since i hate pills is I get a liquid version at costco and take the whole dose on the weekends. My doctor dropped that one on me so I could actually get it done and you can't combine thyroid meds and vitamin D at the same time so I suck at remember to take pills at two different times.
    My doc says wintertime is killer and most everyone gets deficient in the wintertime, not enough sunshine and yes, all that stuff you read is true so it is truly important to get your D.
    To the above poster, mine has come back as undetectable so yes you can have a very low reading :)
  • has001
    has001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I actually just found this out this week. Not sure what my levels are actually at but I was placed on the weekly 50000 unit. Before this I had a lot of joint pain, and I feel increasingly better and my mood is also much better. Been trying to drink more milk, get more sunlight.....I am feeling much better, and hope that this does not keep up on my levels and not have to do a daily supplement.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    50,000 UI impossible. After 10,000 vit D is toxic. 5000 UI/day for sure. I've been vit D deficient and now after 1 y on supplementation with 2000-3000/day I'am back in business. Hard to evaluate the benefits though.
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have & was weaned off & felt much better after, but now it's down again so I'm taking 1000 units daily. Always be sure to take it with food, it can really upset your stomach
  • ladyhawkgg
    Options
    Yes I have a Vit D deficient too. Along with thin and weak bones. Now have to take fosamax one a wk to help increase bone with calcium and make them stronger. Hope you don't take chances and get the Vit D you need. They do have them lights for ppl that need light from Vit D. Take care you only have one body.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    so how do you know if you have a deficiency? blood work? I take a B12 shot every 3 weeks, my body won't adsorb it for some reason and i get the max does every 3 weeks. After 1.5 weeks i can tell i am due for another shot already but i can't get it more then 3 weeks. so how different is vit d compared to b12. can you just take a otc supplement? how much? i have been told by many that i probably should be taking it
  • MJ7910
    Options
    so how do you know if you have a deficiency? blood work? I take a B12 shot every 3 weeks, my body won't adsorb it for some reason and i get the max does every 3 weeks. After 1.5 weeks i can tell i am due for another shot already but i can't get it more then 3 weeks. so how different is vit d compared to b12. can you just take a otc supplement? how much? i have been told by many that i probably should be taking it

you have to go to your dr to get it tested. that is how i found out, my yearly physical and bloodwork