8 glasses of water a day?

Options

Replies

• karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    yes. water is really all you ever need to drink. Thirsty? Drink water. I drink about 12 at least on average. I love water.
  • captaincharisma24
    Options
    I seriously need a 100oz of water a day? It is probably smaller than it sounds but wow, I don't think i am even close.
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Take your weight divide it in half and thats how many ounces of water you need. 8oz= 1 cup.

This is so true. I used to drink diet snapple tea before I began my journey to healthy diet and exercise. Now I dont drink it at all. The more water I drank the more I loved it. I drink mostly water now. I drink about 13 to 15 cups a day.
  • melrose09
    Options
    I get 6 cups in regularly, but I strive for 8. When I was pregnant it was 12-16, but I'm small. Water is awesome and so important!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Nope, just drink a bunch of soda and Hawaiian Punch....f water! Water is for losers...........
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The best thing for your body is water since you lose a lot of it from daily activities. It's up to you. They recommend that you drink 8 glasses. :) I have found over time after I've given up pop that water is my favorite drink!

Personal choice though, I use to drink nothing but pop and was sluggish, now I drink nothing but water and the occasional glass of juice. Never felt better!
  • Tjkramer95
    Options
    Nope, just drink a bunch of soda and Hawaiian Punch....f water! Water is for losers...........

LOL, Beef! tell it how it is!!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    All I know is that for me, I retain water when I don't drink enough. My body holds on to water badly when I don't drink enough. I noticed with my weight loss that I actually see the scale go up when I don't drink enough. It is just water retention, so for me to combat that I drink 64-80 oz per day and my body works like a well oiled machine.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I drink between 10 and 12, but keep in mind it does not all have to be pure water, I drink unsweetened tea, some mio in my water, read the Mayo Clinic piece on water. it is 9 cups of fluid. One caveat is coffee is a diuretic so it pretty much cancels out in most medical opinions. BTW, I just had my blood work done and my electrolytes were perfect so no damage from that much water.
    Oh and keep in mind the poster who said don't drink unless you are thirsty, lol, thirst is a physiological signal that you are beginning the early stages of dehydration so drinking evenly throughout the day even without thirst helps keep your water level topped off, lol.

There are several thousand thirst sensors in the body, sensitive enough to recognize a 0.1% drop in hydration levels. It's a very accurate, 100% physically based sensor system that is designed to let you know when you need to drink. Constantly drinking when you aren't thirsty serves no healthy purpose at all, just forces your kidneys to over work filtering and eliminating extra fluid you don't need. It's a completely different system than hunger, which is driven by hormones, and can have significant delays between onset and sated. Thirst is essentially instantaneous, and unless you ignore it, you will not be anywhere near dangerous dehydration levels.
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I drink about 160 ounces of water a day. I love water so it isn't difficult for me.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    yuuuuuup! lol you should and it helps skip soda!!! lol
  • c_pointer
    c_pointer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Proper hydration is necessary to your overall health. It helps in regulating body temperature; carrying oxygen, hormones, and nutrients to the cells; cushioning the joints; protecting inner organs; elimination of waste; and electrolyte balance. The body loses water through perspiration, exhaled water vapor from the lungs, and urination, it's important to replace about four percent of your body weight in water every day. Drinking six to eight glasses of water a day is recommended in order to replace the lost fluid.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Do we really need to drink that much? Really...really?

No.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There are several thousand thirst sensors in the body, sensitive enough to recognize a 0.1% drop in hydration levels. It's a very accurate, 100% physically based sensor system that is designed to let you know when you need to drink. Constantly drinking when you aren't thirsty serves no healthy purpose at all, just forces your kidneys to over work filtering and eliminating extra fluid you don't need. It's a completely different system than hunger, which is driven by hormones, and can have significant delays between onset and sated. Thirst is essentially instantaneous, and unless you ignore it, you will not be anywhere near dangerous dehydration levels.

So basically your saying to drink only when your thirsty. I think the quote i got here contradicts that. Maybe i'm wrong who knows.

"While each person's water needs are different, if you are urinating clear to yellow-tinged urine and rarely feel thirsty, you are drinking enough water, according to MayoClinic.com."

P.s.-the 64 fl oz is for a sedentary person. If you exercise, do lots of cardio, live in hotter temps etc you will need more.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options

You can replace some of that with other fluids. Even slight diuretics like coffee still function as effective replacements if not AS effective.
  • rachelpries
    rachelpries Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think that's okay if you are not exercising but if your exercising you need more. I do Bikram yoga everyday and drink 6 liter of water. At a very minimum 4...but I push the water as bedtime approaches if I am only at 4.
  • mstcass
    mstcass Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i have been told tnat water is the only way for the body to get rid of fat. so you either sweat or urinate. so lots of water is good and necessary if you want to lose weight.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options

i drink at least 12 glasses of water a day.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    i have been told tnat water is the only way for the body to get rid of fat. so you either sweat or urinate.

lol wat?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

So basically your saying to drink only when your thirsty. I think the quote i got here contradicts that. Maybe i'm wrong who knows.

"While each person's water needs are different, if you are urinating clear to yellow-tinged urine and rarely feel thirsty, you are drinking enough water, according to MayoClinic.com."

Where is the contradiction?
    P.s.-the 64 fl oz is for a sedentary person. If you exercise, do lots of cardio, live in hotter temps etc you will need more.

Even during the hot summers of Arizona, I never drink 8 cups of water. The 8 glasses a day is a recommendation with no real basis in fact. Many do just fine with less than that, myself included.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283