Do you eat your execise calories?

Options

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    from what I can gather-too many people here exercise just to be able to eat more food. That just doesn't work for me-sorry if that isn't PC but its honest!
    and let me state in advance-this is my opinion and not directed AT anyone.

HAHA, so? What if that is true? What is wrong with exercising so I can "shovel" more food into my mouth? I do not have a bad relationship with food and enjoy it, very much. Its way better than "shoveling" food into my mouth and sitting on my behind all day.

I feel bad for you, the notion that feeding yourself is bad is very sad, and this opinion is directed totally to you.

:love: :drinker:
    eatit-1.jpg
    Food is fuel. If you are burning more than what your body needs, you run out of fuel.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can eat more foods sometimes. What can I say, I LOVE foods.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    No. But I also figured out my maintenance calories and set my own calorie and macro numbers.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I am hungry. If I am not I dont.
  • MrsWife2011
    MrsWife2011 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry I eat, If I use my exercise calories then great, if I go over by a little then I guess I just need more that day. If I go over by a lot then I know I will need to keep it in check for next time I feel that way.

I am only human and can't be perfect everyday, I take one day at a time.

Anytime I have gone on crazy restricted diets I fail, I am trying to make a life style change and it changes everyday.

My point is, everyone is different and I will do what is best for me.
  • tanias001
    tanias001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sometims i use mine but not all the time. It depends on how hungry i am and how much exercise i do.
    I know I should but most days i just don't feel like using them.
  • tarsha6
    Options
    Maybe if i go out to dinner i dip into my exercise calories once every fortnight or monthly. But on a normal day or week i never dip into my exercise calories. If you stick to a 1200 calorie diet and push for 600 + calories in exercise each day there is no reason you should not be shreading the weight. Its all in the head, until that is in order you will never succeed.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Some, but not all of them. :)
  • kimzie77
    Options
    You actually need to increase calories when exercising , that's why when you enter your information for bmr it asks your activity level ,it increases your calories if you are active,your body needs these calories ,but it also depends on if youve been eating to lose weight ,if you haven't and you are just exercising then no you do not need to adjust calories ...this explains a little more

http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/nutrition/adjusting-caloric-intake-for-exercise/
  • thea724
    Options
    always....as close as I can w/o going over....
    at first I didn't and I got a warning when I completed my diary that I was under eating which would likely cause me to store calories...
    yikes!!!
    :noway:
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat about 60% of them personally, although not always on the same day (went over on 2 days and have been under on 3 days)

Although I saw this earlier today which I found interesting:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • nbordner27
    nbordner27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the site calculates your metabolic rate based on your day to day lifestyle,weight, and age. then you chose how many pounds you would like to lose per week. your calorie limit per day is based on zero exercise. by adding exercise you add calories you must intake in order for you to build muscle. by building muscle you are able burn more calories per hour. for every 5 lbs of muscle you burn 50 calories and hour at rest. not enough nutrition and too much exercise you will burn muscle and fat at the same time leaving you with skin and bones.
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine back or at least try to. Everyone's different. I like to utilize the fact that if I stick to the MFP plan to lose 1 lb a week, I can work out to eat more. I always try to keep my net calories at least 1200 or greater.

J
  • jnelk
    jnelk Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't usually, but my calorie deficient isn't huge so I don't feel like I should.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some, if not most, have watched the biggest loser. Remember a few seasons ago with the Father/Son combo (Brown Team....the year Tara won almost all of the events)? Mike (I think that was his name) wasn't losing a lot of weight, but Jillian found out he wasn't eating all of his calories. Well once he started eating all of his calories, the weight came off.

I'm sure a lot of you have been successful not eating most of your exercise calories back, but I bet you'd be more successful if you did.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Only if I'm hungry or if I go over my alotted calories.
  • rondua82
    Options
    Yes. I do. Most of them. I've been trying to lose weight soooo many times. And I thought ( like most of us, i guess) that losing weight has two main rules: the more you exercise AND the lessyou eat,the more kilograms/pounds you lose. But some time ago I gave up. It just doesn't work like that. If you exercise too much and don't give your body enough fuel to support such activities. And it goes into starvation mode. It means that it starts to store calories you eat as FAT. Our bodies ar e not "perpetum mobile": they need fuel. I'm at 1200 kcal netto. I exercise and burn approx 400-500 kcal/day. I eat more than 1200 kcal. Usually 1600. And I'm losing weight. And I'm never hungry. It helps me to stay motivated, because when I don't eat enough, i get stressed. Then it is very easy to lose momentum.
  • Mustangsally33
    Options
    I haven't been eating my Calories Back but I also have not been losing any weight ! Although I am losing inches , I am wondering if running on 1300 Calories a Day and not Eating my Calories back has my body not running at my Full Potential and that's why I am not losing weight ?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat them back. I cared more about losing fat than losing pounds.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/exercise-calories-explained-206876
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    from what I can gather-too many people here exercise just to be able to eat more food. That just doesn't work for me-sorry if that isn't PC but its honest!
    and let me state in advance-this is my opinion and not directed AT anyone.

HAHA, so? What if that is true? What is wrong with exercising so I can "shovel" more food into my mouth? I do not have a bad relationship with food and enjoy it, very much. Its way better than "shoveling" food into my mouth and sitting on my behind all day.

I feel bad for you, the notion that feeding yourself is bad is very sad, and this opinion is directed totally to you.

Good thing YOUR opinion means squat to me.