Buying new running shoes today!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Asics gel nimbus 13! The gel is amazing. They are about $125, though. But the BEST!!!
  • MichelleUnger
    Options
    You really need to know what kind of runner you are. Underpronator, overpronator, etc... i would suggest visiting www.runnersworld.com as they have great articles on shoes and shoe reviews http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-240-0-0-0,00.html. I had some trouble finding shoes and once I found what works for me, it was like heaven. I wear the Mizuno Wave which is a cushioning/stability shoe. Hope that helps.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I went to a running shoe store (Fleet Feet), and had them fit me for what was best for my foot. I purchased a pair of Saucony shoes. So far, so good. It isn't about what the shoe looks like, it is how well it fits!!

^^^^^
    This!!!!!
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I second the running store idea. I went and they had a computer evaluate my feet, gait, etc. and a good pair of running shoes was like $80-$100, which is right in your ballpark. (The evaluation was free.)
  • gordon53
    Options
    Everyone's feet are so different. You really have to try on and make sure you go to a store where they know how to fit you. I have wide feet and bought asiics gel keyano as they have a wider toe box. Love them and am on my 4th pair.

I use ASICS gel kayanos too. I was (properly) fitted for them as my gait is to over pronate. Echo the socks. Double layer so that when you are running, sock rubs against sock rather than sock against skin which can cause blisters.

Good luck!
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i just bought these a week ago! can't wait to wear them! :happy:

Mens-Nike-Running-Shoes-2011-New-Style-Grey-Green-8651.jpg
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    New Balance and Asics are my favorite brands. I agree getting fitted at a running store is your best bet but you will not get anything for under $100 at most of those places.

This, but get fitted and buy the same thing else where
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    We have a family owned shoe store in our small town. The owner is a runner and knows about most running shoes. Anyway, I had bought several pairs of shoes from him and loved them. I decided one time to get a "good deal" so I went to a chain discount store & bought the same shoe (I thought) but cheaper. I wore them for a while and my feet just started hurting. I went to see him wearing them.....he told me they were the "fashion fitness" version of the shoe & that is why they were cheaper--I think I paid $65 as opposed to $115. Basically, the shoes were meant to look athletic but really weren't. He told me that if you can bend the whole shoe then it isn't a good running shoe. He was able to make the soles almost touch toe to heal. Long story short, I bought a pair of running shoes from him that day--paid $115 and my feet no longer hurt after 2 miles!

Also, a educated fitter can help if you need extra arch support, etc. I started using the removable arches and it helps tremendously.

GOOD LUCK!!! I love buying new running shoes!!
  • helenkayj
    helenkayj Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys have been extremely helpful! I'm heading to our running store now! AND I just found out I get a 10% discount because I'm in the running club! SWEET!
  • jeananng
    Options
    if there is no specialty store near you, try roadrunnersports.com, they have a program to help...it's called "shoe dog"...he will fetch you the correct shoe ! haha.....i also like runningwarehouse.com because they have free shipping both ways ...if you get something you don't like you can send them back.. they also have a thing that shows you the level of support and cushioning in each shoe.....i need a support shoe and the only one i have found that is comfortable right out of the box and gives me the proper support without inserts is Brooks Adrenaline...if you are serious about running, you definitely are not going to worry so much about how cute the shoes are !! also, i am in love with Experia socks made by Thorlos...always comfortable, stay in place, and never a blister ! if you keep your eyes open you can find them in quite a few colors as well! i ran 5Ks with my husband before he passed away , then gained weight and here i am trying to get the weight off and get back on the road !! Good Luck !!
  • kjbuckw
    Options
    If you look on-line at insidetrackpa.com they give you a brief description of under/over pronate, if there is not a store in your area you could look there for a bit of help. would definitely try to get fitted though, nothing worse than being sooo excited to work out in your new shoes only to find out they bug you more than the old ones! I just got the Nike Pegasus......love them!!!!!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

This, but get fitted and buy the same thing else where

Respectfully, I disagree. You get what you pay for and the service is part of the price.

Most specialty running stores are independently owned. They are people who live in your community. They often give student athletes discounts. They often are the ones who support the running events in your local community. They go beyond doing their part for the running community and your community in general.

In my opinion, what you're suggesting is like going in a restaurant and not tipping your server.

My running store knows me by name. They know my feet. They know my goals. They are my cheerleaders.

Thus, I support them. What I get in return is far more than the maybe few extra dollars I pay.
    And, their prices are competitive enough.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i went to a running store, found out what kind of foot position i have and bought a pair of shoes i hate b/.c i could not really try them out. I would go and get fitted trying on some shoes to see what kind of shoe you like, i am a minimalist and was given a shoe with way too much support and it is awkward to run in them. i would suggest doing research on different types of shoes and reading reviews before even going. i now order all my shoes from running warehouse b.c it is free shipping to and from...if i hate them after i wear them for a bit, i send them back. and there are discounts codes out there to use for the site.
    I personally love my adidias and brooks. you will find some shoes fit better on wider feet then narrow, my feet a little wider and i can not get a comfortable fit in a pair of new balance or asics. it may take some time for be prepared, but a great fit will go a longggg way!
    as for socks, wicking socks with the support in center and the thicker toe and heel are great especially for the longer runs!
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    just 2 tips :P

for running i like soft sole shoe like "under armour cross trainers" but when in the gym i get shoes with least amount of sole n padding as when doing any lifting whats so ever especially squats n deadlifts you use alot of ur foot to help balance(obvisly haha) but if soles are soft they will squish n put u off balance.. i made that mistake of buying soft soled shoes for gym n now just use em as runners.. for like a month until i could get to a store i was doing squats n deads in socks haha
  • helenkayj
    helenkayj Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Came home with the Nike Zooms! Can't wait to try them out on our 3 mile run tomorrow!