To Quinoa or Not To Quinoa... that is the question.

Options
2»

Replies

• MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    SO how many calories is it really?

for cooked?

someone said they rather not quinoa since it has so much more cals..
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    SO how many calories is it really?

for cooked?

someone said they rather not quinoa since it has so much more cals..

What I am reading, cooked with out oil, it is around 155 calories a cup.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I make a quinoa taco soup that I love! Doesn't take long at all and you get loads of flavor and protein. I've also used it in stir fry. That was pretty awesome too.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i just wish it weren't so bleeping expensive. :(

This sounds stupid, but it's actually cheaper in the more upmarket shops - Ie. It's cheaper in Waitrose than it is in Tesco - because Tesco put it in the 'wholefoods' section and bump up the tag for being good for you, whereas waitrose it's just on the shelf with the rest of it.
    alas, i'm in the usa, but that's a good tip! i've only been able to find it in one of those fancy organic foods markets and it was something like $5-6 a pound. man i'd rather have it be chock full of pesticides and half that price.
  • dance_fit
    dance_fit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love to add cooked quinoa to my chili recipes. It stretches the number of meals I can get out of one batch. I've even added it to canned veggie soup (when it was all I had) so I could get 2 servings out of one can (too much sodium otherwise).

I do a quick cold salad with it too using cucumber, cherry tomatoes, olives, red onion, any color pepper, chick peas and a small amount of feta (though, I leave off the cheese if I don't have it). A sprinkle of herbs, and a splash of balsamic and I think it's pretty tasty for a quick meal or side dish.
  • krislynn55
    krislynn55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So this is the first time I have ever heard of quinoa... I looked it up online and it appears to come in many different forms.. Do I want to buy the quinoa flakes? I see they also make a quinoa pasta? Anyone have any insight as what I should buy for my first time trying it?

thank you
  • sarvissa
    sarvissa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This recipe is absolutely amazing!!! I generally make it as a side dish, but could VERY easily be the main course, it is so filling. The recipe says it serves 10, and has 76 calories per serving. I would say if it was the main course, it could probably serve 4-5 people. It also stores amazingly well in the refrigerator for leftovers.

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Directions
    1.Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    2.Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    3.Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
  • TigerH34
    TigerH34 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The pizza bites sound awesome!
  • mim100
    Options
    You will love this versatile product! I've bought a book called Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood. I highly recommend it. Everything I've tried, I've liked. Also, it's a complete protein so there's no worry about trying to combine beans/rice, beans/veggies, etc.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like to make patties out of them... I cook my quinoa, add in whatever i like, but my favourite is a can of tuna, an egg, a little bit of bread crumbs, green onion,garlic.. and then i form them into patties and cook them in a pan with a little bit of olive oil.. pam works as well
  • deegeyspazms
    deegeyspazms Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i add lemon juice, olive oil, walnuts, sun dried tomatoes (optional), and edamame or peas. also like too cook it in broth.

Yummy - am going to try that - thanks
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa!!! I think there is quite a lot you can do with it...I recommend cooking it in veggie stock though, gives it some flavor. Good luck! Oh also, some brands are better than others so I would try a few, we buy the Azteca, it costs a little more but it is worth it.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It's really, really tasty. I'm not sure if it's healthy in that you should strive to put it in your diet, or that you should replace other, worse grains, with it.
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    I love quinoa, but it is so expensive....and I love the title of this post! lol
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I made quinoa muffins today, using this recipe

http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2011/05/pink-quinoa-muffins/