Guess what?

Options
I like ice cream and cookies and cake and pies. And I will eat ice cream whenever I please and still manage to lose weight.

So many people on here seem to be afraid to eat certain foods. Stop being afraid of food. Seriously, if you deny yourself foods you like, you'll just break your diet when you have a craving and being afraid of food can lead you to developing food anxiety which can lead to eating disorders. So eat your ice cream and cookies and cake and pies and milkshakes.

But don't have too much. Everything in moderation, dear.

/rant

Replies

• Mnata
    Mnata Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you can stop at a serving, that's fine. However, I know if I bring Oreos home, I'm going to eat at least five in one sitting, and that's way too many calories, especially if I break down and have them with a glass of milk (healthy, but not low-cal). My solution is just not to get Oreos, and stick to indulgences I can hold to one serving at a time.

We're all different, both in metabolism and how we react to food. While I agree that having an appropriately-sized amount of your favorite foods worked into your diet is probably a good idea, everyone should know their limits and respect them.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above, personally. It's the same reason I don't have credit cards. I ran into a problem in my younger years when I got a credit card, and have decided that I am just not responsible enough to have one. I know I've had a lot of people tell me that "that isn't a solution" and that I should "just learn to be more responsible with them", but I see it as an alcoholic in a bar. Admitting that I have a problem with responsibility when I have the temptation available, and so just not allowing the temptation near me is my way of "being responsible". I mean, I'll get ice cream if we go out for dinner to fill that urge, but only have a certain amount available to me since I know if I have a half gallon at home, I will eat a half gallon in about two days.
  • Darrknys
    Options
    @Mnata-
    Have you seen the cookies called "Whonu?" I think their flavor is pretty close to an Oreo

Nutrition for 3 cookies
    Calories 150
    Sodium 100 mg
    Total Fat 7 g
    Saturated 2 g
    Total Carbs 22 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Sugar 9g
    Protein 2 g
    Vitamin A 20%
    Calcium 30%
    Vitamin C 25%
    Iron 20%

vs Oreo
    Nutrition for 1 cookie
    Calories 160
    Sodium 160 mg
    Total Fat 7 g
    Saturated 2 g
    Potassium 60 mg
    Total Carbs 25 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 14 g
    Protein 1 g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Calcium 2%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 10%

I love sweets and I love desserts. My solution: frozen fruit bars. I've found ones that are only 80 calories a bar =D
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Moderation is a concept that is good on paper. Unfortunately, not all people are able to refrain form binging on certain food.
    If you can't stop at 1 slice of pizza and you feel unsatisfied and have to eat the whole damn thing, then you've got realize that pizza is not for you. Just don't eat the food that makes you binge.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have to point out though that I used to binge a lot. In my apartment right now are foods that I would binge on. I learned how to refrain from binging though and got to a place where I no longer let food control me - I control food. If I (who has little willpower) could overcome urges to eat, anyone can do it. I'm not saying it will happen overnight, but it will happen. Being afraid to eat certain foods is still allowing yourself to be controlled by food.
  • Mnata
    Options
    Darrknys - I have seen those on commercials, but there's still more fat than I really like. Plus, I think I'm attracted to the fat and unhealthy stuff in the Oreos, so better for me to just avoid them altogether. :)
  • Mnata
    Options
    kittenmitton, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I will be the first to admit I am lazy and my willpower isn't the best. Could I probably learn to eat only two Oreos every time? Sure, but it would be frustrating and I feel I could easily backslide. I'd rather use that energy towards resisting temptations and making sure I stay within my calorie goals so I can continue moving towards a healthier weight. If I ever feel the Oreos are a more important goal I will change things then, but right now I have more important priorities.

And Spayrroe, good for you for deciding what you were comfortable with and not letting people talk you into getting a credit card "just because"!
  • Darrknys
    Options
    I've got a husband and a temp roomie living with me right now who have black holes for stomachs. They have all sorts of non dieting foods all over the place. I think you just have to be super determined and have a strong will power.
    I've tried exercising and dieting all half heatedly before, and no will power. This program/app is helping me and seeing everyone else trying their best is pretty inspiring for me. So for me those urges for Oreos, or other non dieting goodies, are pretty subdued. I do indulge every so often with a bite or two, which I think would be normal for people dieting. I've just been eating healthier the next day and beefing up my workouts when I do...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I like ice cream and cookies and cake and pies. And I will eat ice cream whenever I please and still manage to lose weight.

So many people on here seem to be afraid to eat certain foods. Stop being afraid of food. Seriously, if you deny yourself foods you like, you'll just break your diet when you have a craving and being afraid of food can lead you to developing food anxiety which can lead to eating disorders. So eat your ice cream and cookies and cake and pies and milkshakes.

/rant

To me, it is not a matter of being afraid of any food, it is just that rather than use up 300 calories on a sweet snack, I would rather have those 300 calories on my plate on one of my meals.

Everytime I use up calories for high calories snacks, means less at mealtimes. I will be permanently hungry if I do that.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry i hate threads like these, it makes me feel like your being rude to everyone who don't eat these yummy things, its their (should i say our) choice after all, how do you know that one cookie wont spoil their efforts for the week?

What works for you doesn't necessarily work for me, or anyone else for that matter.

Moderation is a great concept, but when faced with something scrumptious it means nothing to me, therefore i avoid, plus like someone else said, 1 cookie @ 300 calories? i'd rather have a filling fruit packed yummy smoothie!

and have i read that right are you actually saying that if i avoid chocolate and sweets then i am going to get an eating disorder? because i thought i was just going to get slim??

note: i know your NOT being rude but you've got to see that people read things differently to how you might want it to come across.
  • kittenmitton
    Options
    Sorry it's really bothering me, but *you're. Your indicates possession.

Anyways, I never said you will get an eating disorder if you avoid the things you like, I said you're putting yourself at a risk for developing (potentially another) eating disorder (or even relapsing). Maybe you personally won't, but I know people it's happened to, including myself.

I honestly don't think I'm being rude at all. If people here feel like they can tell me how to diet, why can't I have my two cents? Gosh, what happened to being non-judgmental and allowing differences of opinion?

I'm just saying, look at the research. The more you stay away from foods you like, the more likely you are to crave them, and the more likely you are to ruin your diet by binging on a whole thing of ice cream. Because a lot of people with binge-eating disorder (most of the people on here) have an all-or-nothing mentality (I do too) and when they slip up, they think "damn, I just ate half that pie, might as well eat these chips and these cookies, and a milkshake, and maybe I'll order a pizza with extra cheese, too"

Like I said, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Get someone to sit with you of you want to eat something you're craving or eat it in a public place so you can feel more accountable for what you're eating. That's another thing I did - I have never in my life been able to eat cookies in front of other people and yesterday, I ate a cookie in public. I felt like everyone in the room was staring at me, and even though I grabbed more than one cookie, I only ate one and had someone hide the rest from me. Yes, it's going to take time, but so is losing weight and you're not letting time stop you from doing that. All I'm saying is don't deny yourself the foods you love because you're risking your diet. You don't have to eat them every day, but if you really want ice cream, don't keep pushing those cravings back.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The more you stay away from foods you like, the more likely you are to crave them, and the more likely you are to ruin your diet by binging on a whole thing of ice cream

That may work for you but It's the opposite for me--if I eat something sweet the more I crave it due to the blood sugar swings. After completing phase one of the South Beach plan I lost my sweet cravings and I don't want them to return.
  • justle
    Options

note: i know your NOT being rude but you've got to see that people read things differently to how you might want it to come across.

Just have to quote myself here because i clearly state that you are NOT being rude, so please, don't get uppity about opinions and freedom of speech, i'm exercising mine but saying that I personally find threads such as these rude, and of course unnecessary because quite clearly your view on sweets and treats is not the be all and end all, we're saying here that your way might work for you but not for everyone because it doesn't simple as that.

And the grammar thing? oh my days SERIOUSLY you wouldn't correct a stranger on their speech so why on earth do it online?
  • kittenmitton
    Options
    Yeah, I do correct strangers on their speech. But that's not the point of this. The point of this is to help people who keep yo-yo dieting because their diets fail because they deny themselves things. I don't have time for arguing with boring people though so bye.

For the rest of people who think they can't do it or they don't have the willpower, I'm really posting this because I think you can do it if you try. I lost 90 pounds that way and so can you. Yes, you may fail sometimes and yes you may gain back weight. Over the summer, I got to my lowest weight of 112, I denied myself the foods I love and I started binging again and went back to 125. I've learned to take control over my food and now I'm back down to 114 because I don't deny myself cookies, chips, pizza, what have you. I really believe you all have the power to control your food, this why I posted this. I want you to succeed, thus why I keep saying that if I can do it, so can all of you.
  • justle
    Options
    Cant quite understand why you feel the need to insult me by calling me boring, especially when you dont even know me?
  • Darrknys
    Options
    It might have been better if you stated at the beginning of your statement when you said you hated threads like these that you didn't think she was being rude. However, I read what you wrote as rude as well.

Everyone has their own opinions and ideas of what is right or wrong. Frankly for me avoiding the things I crave had been my downfall in the past. I would binge later and would fail my plan, getting frustrated resulting in giving up. I've learned to moderate what I crave or finding a healthier alternative instead. It works for me, but might not work for others. To each his own, so to speak.
    Cheers! =D
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

/rant
    TOTALLY AGREE!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

/rant
    I wouldn't even put it down to moderation. If it meets your caloric intake for the day, go for it! However, I would say for the most part try and keep it low fat. For everyone gram of fat is 9 calories.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do correct strangers on their speech. But that's not the point of this. The point of this is to help people who keep yo-yo dieting because their diets fail because they deny themselves things. I don't have time for arguing with boring people though so bye.

For the rest of people who think they can't do it or they don't have the willpower, I'm really posting this because I think you can do it if you try. I lost 90 pounds that way and so can you. Yes, you may fail sometimes and yes you may gain back weight. Over the summer, I got to my lowest weight of 112, I denied myself the foods I love and I started binging again and went back to 125. I've learned to take control over my food and now I'm back down to 114 because I don't deny myself cookies, chips, pizza, what have you. I really believe you all have the power to control your food, this why I posted this. I want you to succeed, thus why I keep saying that if I can do it, so can all of you.

Once again, like my analogy from my original comment on this thread, would you tell an alcoholic in recovery that they need to not deny themselves and learn to have the will power to only have one drink? I give props to all of the people who are able and willing to stop at one serving of junk food, but not everyone can do it. It's not just a question of will power, there is a question of body chemistry too. Sugar is as addictive as any other drug because of your body's reaction to it. I've found a lot of great substitutions for my binge foods (like making the frozen banana stuff that's like ice cream, which is actually pretty awesome),or if I really want ice cream, I go to somewhere where I can buy a single serving of it. If I have it in my home, it'll wreck me. Part of taking control of your life in general is knowing what your limitations are. If you know having one oreo will lead to eating a whole pack of the things, then you know you need to just stay away from them. I also really dislike threads like this. If you went at it from the approach of "Hey, I found that I've gotten great at eating "junk" (please note, that's not a judgmental term, just using the generally used term) food in small servings so that I'm satisfied with it and don't feel like I'm denying myself!" that's a bit different. The general tone of your original post was very, "let me tell you how to live your life" and that's pretty self righteous (in my opinion). Just my two cents on the whole thing.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    chickenbutt?