Moderator or Abstainer, Which Are You?

Options
* Moderators: find that occasional indulgence heightens their pleasure (while strengthening their resolve), and they get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

*Abstainers: have trouble stopping something once they’ve started, but aren’t tempted by things that they’ve decided are off-limits (or are tempted less)

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Moderator. I love being able to still eat stuff I enjoy.
  • Kendrawinn
    Options
    Im Deff an abstainer.... Cause once i get some sugar in me.... its on!! And I can't stop untill it just makes me sick to my stomach.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Abstainer.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Moderator... I need my sweets/burgers/sub sandwich every now and then.

If I abstain, then I binge once I have it... and that's not good!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Moderator... except that I tend to work my butt off so my definition of "occasional" is a little more frequent than others' definition might be. :laugh:
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I use to be a moderator before when I didnt have to watch my weight. Now I'm abstainer as in if I eat one cookie, I cant stop till they are all gone.
    I am trying to get back to moderator or I am going to gain a ton of weight back.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm a moderator. It's the only thing that seems to work for me. Abstaining makes me feel bitter and sad.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Moderator. I feel I can eat anything and have the strength to eat it in moderation unlike my previous behavior.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Moderator... nothing is off limits for me. For me abstaining leads to binging.
  • LittleMissDoll
    Options
    Moderator for sure.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Abstaining is easier for me. So that's what I do. I like to eat clean anyway.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Moderator- I turned down chocolate cookies the other night whilst my partner indulged & once I hit my cals for day(usually pre-planned) then I don't eat "treats" unless I can trade out & still keep within my macros :)

Russ
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Moderator... except that I tend to work my butt off so my definition of "occasional" is a little more frequent than others' definition might be. :laugh:

Thought I was an Abstainer until I read your comment :smile:
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Moderator! Life is to be enjoyed..
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Abstainer - I cant seem to succeed in moderation.
  • Linalaila
    Options
    Abstainer when it comes to sugar and bread.
  • Sheila1968
    Options
    Moderator, except for alcohol, which I never drink cause I HATE it! LOL
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Abstainer fo sho
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Moderator.

That's not to say I don't screw up and binge. But... to me, this diet game is about teaching myself to have a healthy relationship with food- ALL FOOD- and I can't do that if I say 'no, never!' about food.
  • jennsteff
    Options
    Depends on the item...if it's something I find I don't think about at all once I abstain for a week or two (like for me, alcohol or bread), then I stick with abstaining. Chocolate? No way - I get one or two andes mints a day and it keeps that anxiety of 'never again' away...