Husband doesn't like Couch 2 5k

Options
I'm trying to do Couch to 5k - week 1. I originally started it a few weeks ago, but i developed a huge blister that took forever to heal.

So today at the gym i was running for the 60 seconds, but my husband kept getting mad at me. He said my heart rate was too high and i dont know how to breathe right while running.

I tried to tell him that for my age my max heart rate is apparently 193 and i was in the late 160s-170s (and towards the end of the minute around 180) when doing my Week 1 C25K running (run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds).

Doesn't your heart rate get lower as you get stronger/more endurance? Before when it used to get that high i felt like i was gonna pass out, but now i don't really feel like that.

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Dont know what to tell you about your heart rate (or your husband) but I am not a C25K fan. I prefer to use the common sense approach which is starting out with 10 seconds of running with 50 seconds of walking ... and then working on getting to 2 miles ... and then adjusting the intervals! Running is still running with walking inserted... you burn just as many calories, and heck you enjoy it more.

I have run countless 5Ks ... a couple of 10Ks and nine half marathons... and I use walk/run the whole way!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    He's yelling at you about your heart rate? Find a new running partner. You don't have to do everything together. Sounds like some time apart would be constructive. :flowerforyou:
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think your the healthy you get your heart rate should be able to get high but quickly go down. I have not done couch 2 5k but there is a dvd for walking which I liked. off the top of my head I can't remember. I know there is walking one mile, two mile or 3 mile. It is fun workout and you are just doing a lot of cardio.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    He's yelling at you about your heart rate? Find a new running partner. You don't have to do everything together. Sounds like some time apart would be constructive. :flowerforyou:

he thinks ill have a heart attack :\
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options

So today at the gym i was running for the 60 seconds, but my husband kept getting mad at me. He said my heart rate was too high and i dont know how to breathe right while running.

Your at the GYM! Get a trainer to come and tell him that you are alright! Your heart rate is staying in safe ranges. and you will learn how you need to breath. or you can call your family Dr. and let him tell your husband you are fine! Don't stop! Keep up the good work woman!!!!!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yes my heart rate dropped significantly as the stresses of being a new runner diminished. I used the "Get Running" app which I think is the same as C25K. Listen to your body and if it's too much slow down. I never look at my HRM unless I am doing a HR based training run, I just wait until it's over, load my data (I use a Garmin) and check it out later.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

How old are you? Have you had heart issues before?

ETA: If you exercise pretty regularly, you're not going to have a heart attack from your heart rate going up. Sudden, overexertion of the heart when it isn't used to being pushed causes a heart attack. The series of eight 60-second running stints in the first week of the C25K app are not going to cause a heart attack. Your husband is sorely misinformed.

http://articles.cnn.com/1999-11-09/health/9911_09_inactive.exertion.journ.wmd_1_satyendra-giri-sudden-exercise-heart-disease?_s=PM:HEALTH

http://bystander.homestead.com/run_heart_attack.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080414012314AA4bZJt

http://myheartsisters.org/2009/07/11/exercise-trigger/
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

27. i have no known heart issues. i even had my heart checked out a couple of years ago when i was scared my anxiety was giving me heart problems. they said i was healthy.
  • QueenJayJay
    Options

27. i have no known heart issues. i even had my heart checked out a couple of years ago when i was scared my anxiety was giving me heart problems. they said i was healthy.

I edited my comment above. :flowerforyou: Perhaps he has anxiety? He seems a little overly worried.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I think your husband may be right. You don't want to be getting in the 85-90% range of your max heart rate. I don't think that means you should give up on C25K. I would suggest either running at a slower pace or take a few extra weeks and walk at a fast pace to build up your endurance. There is a book called The Non-runners Marathon Training Guide (or something close to that) which has a pre-training program that lasts up to 10 weeks. The first several weeks are walking for 30 minutes at a moderate pace then a faster pace and eventually running for 5 minutes and walking for 5 minutes and eventually building up to running continuously for 30 minutes. The concept is pretty close to couch to 5K but has more walking early on.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I think there are too many unknowns for us to answer you with any intelligence.

Your max heart rate is calculated with more than just your age. Your resting heart rate is also taken into consideration in the formula.

We don't know your current fitness level. It appears you want to lose about 80 pounds - 7 of which you've already lost. This would be another factor to take into consideration.

We don't know if you're wearing a HRM or going off the treadmill. A RHM would give you more accurate information, but even those have their inaccuracies.

I can't imagine a week on C25K would make much of a difference with your cardio endurance. But we don't know if you've been building up your activity level with other exercise prior to this worthy endeavor.

I agree with a PP - seek the advice of an expert. Your doctor would be the best one to help you on your journey, but certainly a well trained PT could put your husband's concerns at ease or help you to cut back.

Good luck!
  • QueenJayJay
    Options
    Perhaps just repeat week one until you feel you've built up enough endurance?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think your husband may be right. You don't want to be getting in the 85-90% range of your max heart rate. I don't think that means you should give up on C25K. I would suggest either running at a slower pace or take a few extra weeks and walk at a fast pace to build up your endurance. There is a book called The Non-runners Marathon Training Guide (or something close to that) which has a pre-training program that lasts up to 10 weeks. The first several weeks are walking for 30 minutes at a moderate pace then a faster pace and eventually running for 5 minutes and walking for 5 minutes and eventually building up to running continuously for 30 minutes. The concept is pretty close to couch to 5K but has more walking early on.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking.

Men tend to get mad instead of emotional, so we take it personal. I do not know how long you have been married or if you are open to it but it my marriage, it is very important that we discuss things like this. It is not a motivator to be scared your husband is going to get mad at you and is sure as heck is not any fun if you are scared your wife is going to have a heart attack.

Maybe trying to find a way to communicate with each other would do way more for you guys than anything.

Good luck. I have been with the same man for 14 years, we are in our 40s and just learned how to communicate effectively in the last 4 years.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My heart rate consistently gets into the 160s, often into the 170s, and sometimes up to 180 when running. I am 30 and have been running for a while.

No offense to your husband, but I think he is an idiot for thinking you are going to have a heart attack. You know your body better than he does. If it ever gets to the point where you feel uncomfortable, then by all means slow down. That doesn't mean you have to stop.

Congrats on your progress and dedication!
  • lcsmith1022
    Options
    My girlfriend and I used the C25K app and we liked it a lot. Its all about what you want to do and what you are comfortable doing. we definitely were able to run a 5k with no problem after completing the program. Remember running is fun so don't let your husband stress you out.