Just Joined - Didn't lose weight on Weight Watchers

Options
Hi all, I have been on WW for 8 weeks and have lost only 2 pounds. I exercise 5-6 times per week doing interval training mostly and cardio like Zumba. I have tracked my points religiously, and I can't figure out why I'm not losing weight. I am here to see if there is a better way to lose. I'm hoping to turn my efforts into success on the scale.

Replies

• E1rlindsay
    E1rlindsay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers for about 12 weeks and lost about 14 pounds...not bad, for me, actually! But, i didn't want to keep paying for it, when this site is free. I used MFP last summer with good success, so now I'm back. I like the accountability of tracking every calorie, fat gram, sodium milligram, protein, carb and sugar. Just remember if you're exercising that much, to invest in a good heart rate monitor and eat back those exercise calories!

Feel free to friend me, i'm just starting MFP again after WW, too
    :) Emily
  • phatdivabbw
    phatdivabbw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My success with weight watchers varies. This last stent didn't give me any success. I cancelled my membership and joined myfitnesspal.
  • jenoflexington
    Options
    Hi all,
    A number of people have also suggested, like Emily, that I might not be eating enough food. The WW method of calculating Activity Points is not very scientific, and I am not able to really know how many calories I'm taking in vs. how much I'm exercising out - above and beyond my baseline metabolic rate. I am hoping MFP will help me figure that out. My personal trainer, who I see twice a week, wants to see my calories, too. I did lose 4.5 cumulative inches off my waist, hips, thighs and arms in the 8 weeks, so evidently the exercise has been helping. But I have about 65 pounds to lose, so I really want the scale to move!!!!
  • jenoflexington
    Options
    Good luck, ladies! Let's hope we're successful. Just don't give up!
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    WW Momentum worked for me, but PointsPlus made me gain. I stopped recommending it to people.

I lost 25+ lbs on Momentum but then stalled my metabolism by not eating enough. You're right about that, MFP should help you if you eat to your net. It's not an exact science, ever, but this is a lot closer than WW, IMO.

Welcome, and good luck!!
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi - I had been on WW for about a year and lost about 20 pounds (very difficult for me to lose weight since having a baby) but then they switched the plan over the PointsPlus program and instead of losing weight, I actually began gaining weight and I hated the new program. I switched to MFP and in half the time I have lost almost the same that had taken me a full year to lose and I am at a 19 pound loss since joining MFP. There is so much encouragement here and it has been working for me! Good luck! I know MFP will really help you! Feel free to add me if you are looking for some additional support! :flowerforyou:
  • ericaalyseconrad
    Options
    Hey I was on weight watchers and I was actaully just gaining. I just joined myfitnesspal and it's already helping me it keeps me more focused and im so much more motivated to track my calories and excersize and it's much eaiser then doing weight watchers online that costs you about 20 a month. At least here it is much more supportive where as in weight watchers they were really rude to me when I would gain weight. I have only been on here for two days but I have been staying in my calorie limit. I just need to stay strong.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Hi all, I have been on WW for 8 weeks and have lost only 2 pounds. I exercise 5-6 times per week doing interval training mostly and cardio like Zumba. I have tracked my points religiously, and I can't figure out why I'm not losing weight. I am here to see if there is a better way to lose. I'm hoping to turn my efforts into success on the scale.

way back in 1990 i lost 30 pounds in 2 months at WW (with the food exchange approach). i hit my goal and maintained lifetime membership until i injured my back in 2000. i really believe in WW, but not knowing from day to day what my back is going to do, i wouldn't take a chance of paying for meetings again. i have been here with MFP for a little over a month, and i DO like their concept and sensible approach to weight loss. also, the posts always have something interesting to read, so reporting in is easy. keep with it, you will reap the rewards (just don't expect overnight success) :flowerforyou:
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had success with WW years ago (got the Lifetime Key), then proceeded to gain it all back and much more. This time I'm enjoying this site and learning how to make lifetime changes. I've already learned more than I did in years of WW. Good luck on your journey.

Endeavor to persevere.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Hey I was on weight watchers and I was actaully just gaining. I just joined myfitnesspal and it's already helping me it keeps me more focused and im so much more motivated to track my calories and excersize and it's much eaiser then doing weight watchers online that costs you about 20 a month. At least here it is much more supportive where as in weight watchers they were really rude to me when I would gain weight. I have only been on here for two days but I have been staying in my calorie limit. I just need to stay strong.

you should have reported the group leader for being rude. they are there to support you and get you through tough times :flowerforyou:
  • 40in9
    40in9 Posts: 5
    Options
    I never lost weight on Weight Watchers either. Now sure why. But this sight is fun so hopefully it will help. Good luck to you!
  • wendalyse
    wendalyse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..... Just wondering. If I don't eat those exercise calories, won't I lose the weight faster? I have tried to stay within the 1200 cal I've been allotted but sometimes it's hard to. I have worked out the points according to WW and have been well within their guidelines of points for myself but am almost always a bit over in calories with MFP. Probably because fruits and veggies are "free" on WW, and we have to account for them with MFP. I exercise about 5 days a week and want to as well because then I get more calories to eat. But I can't help but wonder if I would be better off just ignoring that exercising earns me more calories to eat. What do you think?
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was also on WW and lost weight at first, on it then in Feb I was stuck at the same weight for awhile. I figured out why the points program was not working out for me. When I gained a few pounds I knew it then. I am since off WW and I'm eating my own healthy food. I just started this, this week and today I weighed in and lost another pound. Finally! So my guess is it was WW was why I was not getting anywhere. I don't miss it! I got tired of the food, and the price!

Good luck to you, and if you want an extra friend feel free to add me:)
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    I think I'm learning more about what to put into my body, how much of it is too much, and what exercises benefit my health best through MFP. "Points" don't say much. Reading a real label with the sodium content, calories, fiber, etc... it's much better to know.

Plus, MFP is free!
  • jcnewme11
    Options
    My old boss did WW and never lost a pound but went from a size 14 to a 6. I dont know how and she said her scale never changed. Her size difference was amazing. I tried WW and it did nothing....I LOVE ZUMBA!! I started 2 months ago at the end of Dec. and its a great workout!! Good Luck to you and happy goal weight success!! :)
  • darstus
    darstus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of people say they have not lost weight on the Points Plus program. I lost 25 pounds about 6 years ago on the old points program and became a lifetime member BUT have put about 15 lbs. back on so decided to get back on track. Started using the old point method on my own. Did fine, lost some weight, but then I found this site. I love this site. I can log my intake and activity every day and it helps me keep it all in check. I know WHAT to eat, I just let myself eat larger portions and empty calories I didn't need. I actually will go back to WW in the near future but really only because of the meetings to interact with others. Love this site!!!:love:
  • E1rlindsay
    E1rlindsay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..... Just wondering. If I don't eat those exercise calories, won't I lose the weight faster? I have tried to stay within the 1200 cal I've been allotted but sometimes it's hard to. I have worked out the points according to WW and have been well within their guidelines of points for myself but am almost always a bit over in calories with MFP. Probably because fruits and veggies are "free" on WW, and we have to account for them with MFP. I exercise about 5 days a week and want to as well because then I get more calories to eat. But I can't help but wonder if I would be better off just ignoring that exercising earns me more calories to eat. What do you think?

From everything I've read (last summer and again, starting "new" again with MFP), MFP already builds a deficit into your daily calories. So let's say it wants you to eat 1200 calories a day, which wield yield a loss on it's own...if you burn, say, 500 calories at the gym and DON'T eat them back, then you're only taking in about 700 calories for the day, which is a) not enough and b) will stall your weight loss because it's too low
  • dutchie7
    dutchie7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm struggling with the same issue; I've been on this for 6 weeks and although I had lost 6 pounds, I've actually re-gained 4 in spite of using FitStar daily...I do get a message almost daily saying I'm under my goal each day of 1200 cals, however, I'm not clear on how to make that up food-wise. Any suggestions would be welcome. This is so frustrating! Has my metabolism slowed that much that I can't lose a single pound or a single inch anywhere??
  • helentiller83
    helentiller83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    /wave

Lost all of my weight so far with Weight Watchers, I've been stuck at a plateau of the same half stone since June so I'm trying MFP for something new :)
  • poshy
    poshy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Just came across your post and wanted to let you know that I started WW 2 weeks ago when you are supposed to eat as much as you like from the designated list, as I am not a big eater to start with I am almost forcing my self to eat what they want you to. Well I have "gained" 2.1/2 lbs. this week as did my friend, she gained about 4lbs. I have no idea why that is but it sure defeats the purpose of paying all this money (I prepaid 3 months).

I was doing much better on My Fitness Pal and am continuing on it, its easier, you can customize it, very helpful friendly people available and its free. Its your choice but when a weight loss program makes me gain weight I truly wonder...I am sticking to what I know works MFP. Hope you stick around, ad me to your friends list if you like.

Good luck and be glad you found this site, its awesome!