Whats your exercise?

Options
Hi everyone

I'm currently re-thinking my exercise plan and was wondering what does everyone else do? is it something you do daily? and how often do you change it?

Katie
x

Replies

• FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Curvy!

I like to bellydance and practice yoga, pilates,weight training and Fluidity.

I always dance and either practice pilates or yoga...when I get bored with pilates and yoga, I either weight train or practice Fluidity.

What do you like to do for exercise?
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a military background so used to only think in terms of calisthenics and running. Now that I'm a bit older (but I refuse to say "middle aged") I've learned to appreciate:

The Wii Fit - using mostly the step aerobics and rhythm boxing segments. The strength training sections are good but the time spent vs time credited for exercise is too different for me to use it much. I mean, you can spend ten minutes doing three minutes of an exercise because of all the down time listening to the instructions and setting up, moving around, etc.

Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing - also in the Wii. Much more intensive and with a higher level of AI to help you improve and mix up your workouts.

I just got the Wii Active and have to investigate it. It looks like an even higher level of AI than the Cardio Boxing and I'm looking forward to getting into it.

The one thing I've learned is not to underestimate simple things like walking (an hour a day is a fantastic amount of calorie burn if you go at a good rate) and to neglect to log things like mowing the lawn, etc. We burn calories just in every day activities that we often forget.

Good luck!
  • rowie
    rowie Posts: 75
    Options
    I like to play with my Wii fit, go on long walks (about 2 miles, and i live in a very hilly area), I do yard work, and I do a short routine combining strength training and yoga stretches with light hand weights and a stretchy cord. I also swim, do aqua aerobics, and use pilates and cardio workout dvds. With this arsenal i can switch it all up and keep my body on edge so i don't plateau, and so i don't get bored. I work out 2-4 days a week. Sometimes i jump rope for a couple of minutes for some extra cardio, and i am hoping to start a new program called "couch-to-5k" which helps people start a running routine. I am terrible at making myself run, and i hope to improve on that. Good luck :flowerforyou: finding what works for you!!!
  • rbeglen
    rbeglen Posts: 37
    Options
    Walking, swimming, and strength training at least 4 times a week for 60-75 minutes each time.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi, generally I run about 3 to 4 times per week (3-4 kilometres most days, then one longer run of varying lengths...7.5 km this week). Sometimes I forgo a run if I know I'm going to be going for a hike or taking in a spinning class. I also do strength training 4 times per week...2 days upper body and 2 days lower body. I hope to get more swimming in this summer :)
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ...oh, and when i strength train..usually that takes up about 30 to 40 minutes of my time. My trainer and I change my strength training routine every 2 weeks.
    Cheers, A.
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer says you should modify things periodically or your body gets too used to it.

The key for me was when I decided to start figure skating (at age 35 - for the first time). I found I loved it! As a result of the figure skating, I started yoga class too get more flexible. I also started having problems with my right knee from landing more and bigger jumps (don't get excited just single jumps). The ortho doctor I spoke to said I had two choices quit skating or get a personal trainer to strengthen my legs. I got a personal trainer.

Anyway, most of my exercise stems from the one I found I loved. I even compete at little local competitions. So try something that you've always wanted to do and see where it leads.
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    I am currently learning to run and loving it. Nothing official like the the Couch to 5K program, just running as long as I can, walking to recover, then doing it again. I'm up to 3 miles in 40 minutes, woohoo! I had been doing this 3 mornings a week and then walking to the YMCA on my lunchbreak to do weights 3 days a week, but am trying to figure out what to do now that my lunch hour has been halved for the summer (we convert to four 10s during the summer). Am thinking about dashing around the park during my 2 15 minute breaks on my non-running mornings, not sure what else I can fit in with 10 hours of work and toting my toddler either to or from daycare?

Great topic for ideas!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do a little bit of everything...and I get bored easily so I change up my routine every 2 or 3 weeks.

Running, swimming, biking (on a regular bike and a spinning bike in the gym), Aerobics Classes, Spinning Classes, Exercise machines, freeweights, pushups, situps...
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I do Power 90 alternate days with Cardio and Sculpting.
    I sometimes get on my bike.
    Most days I am walking and increasing the length and speed of walking.

This past week I've started wogging, or interval training with walk/jog.
    Really burns the calories.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    About 65 minutes cardio only for now
    Treadmill 30 minutes walk at 3.5 mph uphill at 5 incline and then jog for 2 minutes at 5.7 and keep switching back and forth for 30 minutes
    Elliptical 33 minutes with 4 minutes level 3 and 4 minutes level 8 switch back and forth
    Stairmaster I just rock to the beat of my music and step to whatever beat I'm listening too, starting to like that thing :)
    Jump rope sometimes at home 20 minutes, burns about 10 calories a minute if you can jump 2 skips a second.
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit 5 days a week, my workout changes every day. I do walk/run 5 days a week on top of my CrossFit workouts too though. I love it!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I go to line dance classes four days a week and recently started yoga and of course, lots of walking.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    www.exercisetv.com

Lots of free, fun workouts for all levels. I've been really enjoying the 20 minute "cardio tease" workout.

I've always lost the most amount of weight with a 45-60 minute daily walk, but I really don't enjoy walking for exercise...if I walk I like to stroll and check out the scenery. I'm not big on sweating in public.

I like doing aerobics at home because I can happily look like a fool in my livingroom. :smile:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I train for triathlons so I swim, bike and run 1-3x a week and then do strength training 2x a week.

Typical week:

Monday: day off
    Tues: AM - BRIC class at gym (spin 45 min, run 30 min, 15 abs/core)
    PM - Track workout with tri club (interval training and speed work), alternate meeting at a college track and a park for trail running
    Wed: AM - workout with personal trainer at gym
    PM - Swim workout at a HS pool (coached workout)
    Thurs: AM - Long run at gym on treadmill
    PM - Group bike ride for 90 min.
    Friday: day off
    Sat: AM - "New to the sport" coached workout. We alternate between an Open Water Swim, a long bike ride, a bike-run brick, run drills, and core strengthening
    PM - depends, could be a strength class at the gym or a tempo run around the neighborhood or a swim or nothing
    Sun: AM - long bike ride, at least 2 hours
    PM - depends again, whatever I didn't do the rest of the week or nothing

As you can see... I go for VARIETY! :laugh: Also, I keep the weekends very flexible. This is partly because my Sat. AM changes every week and partly because weekends are family time and so often the PM workout goes by the wayside.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Lots of running, with some hiking and biking thrown in.
    I've been switching up running by doing speed training days, hill sprint days, interval days, and long slow distance days.
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I do walking/running mostly since the weather is warm. Before the weather was warm however, I did different workout DVDs...some cardio, some dance cardio, some strength training ones, and some yoga ones.

Right now, along with walking/running, I am in the middle of the 30 Day Shred DVD by Jillian Michaels.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • EllieAmancy
    EllieAmancy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try to run 3 times a week, usually about 20-30 minutes. I try to vary it a bit, going different routes and at different speeds. I've also added the 30-day Shred and am on the 3rd week of doing that, although I only do it 4 times a week. I'm on level 2 and it's kicking my butt! :tongue: Once I finish it, I think I'll keep doing it but alternate it with yoga and/or pilates and try to do that every day instead of 4 times a week. I'm definitely seeing results from the 30-day Shred though!
  • Blindhiker
    Blindhiker Posts: 12
    Options
    I bought a stationary exercise bike when I started my diet. I do an hour to an hour and a half each day. I am legally blind and am not able to ride a real bike or run for that matter. I have a big screen TV mounted on the family room wall and I watch the tube while I ride. I found some videos on Ebay by a company called Bike-O-Vision that make my workout interesting. I just finished biking through British Columbia and Victoria and I am now biking through the State of Maine . A friend has given me an AB Lounge Sport and I have just started using that also.
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I run everyday and then alternate between spinning, yoga, and pilates.