Any breakfast cereal recommendations?

Options
One of my problems with healthy eating is the enormous amount of time i have to spend on cleaning, chopping and cooking fresh foods. Much faster to stop at fast food on the way home from work! But i am committed!

In the mornings, i love the convenience of breakfast cereal and have had pretty good luck controlling portion size. But it seems even the best of the cereals are very high in calories.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good lo calorie, low sodium breakfast cereals?

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It's going to be pretty hard to get low cal, low sugar. low sodium packaged cereal, read and re read the labels.
    I don't buy any breakfast cereal anymore.
    Good luck!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Kashi go lean is good. High in protein, fiber, potassium.
  • Ashes51113
    Options
    Personal favorite-
    Special K Red Berries.
    1 cup for 110 calories; not sure the sodium or any other of those though.
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    cheerios! :)
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch (200 calories per cup) or Fiber One Original (60 calories per half cup) with 1% Horizon Organic Milk (55 calories per half cup). I would be careful with the Fiber One, since it contains aspartame. However, it does REALLY help with keeping you regular.
  • jamie117100
    Options
    I like to get special K and Chex honey nut. They are low in calories compared to other cereals. (about 110-120 dry) I like the Chex honey nut best and if you eat it with almond milk unsweetened, which is only 35 calories, it has less calories than eating it with 2% or 1'% milk.:wink:
  • AmeliaDouglas
    AmeliaDouglas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch is great, and Kashi Honey Alomond and Flax has about equal nutrition and is yummy too.... but the real secret is to mix these 2 cereals!!!! Buwahaha! It is amazing, and has the best nutrition of any cereal out there. Kashi lovers: Try this and tell me it isn't awesome!
  • ginamaria724
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Quaker Oatmeal Squares! I only have a half of serving though, but if you have a banana with that half serving, you're good to go:)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I find most cereals are too full of junk without the needed protein and fiber needed to keep me full...
    kashi isn't bad, but I've switched to oatmeal (not the prepacked kind, i buy plain then throw in some cinnamon and honey or banana or berries..)or granola with yogurt...those 2 things seem to be the only thing I personally can eat for breakfast that will keep me satisfied until lunch.
  • xcirce
    xcirce Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like just generic whole grain oats with a cut up banana =]
    Also if I'm craving sweet, I eat Kashi Honey Sunshine. YUM!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Kix! Its only like 88 calories per cup or 110 calories for 1 and 1/4 cups (their suggested serving size.) If your going to go the cheerios route then it should be noted that Great Value (Walmart brand) toasted oats are 10 calories less per cup.

Basically what I have found is the simpler the better. Toasted oats, puffed wheat, rice krispies, corn flakes, are usually lower cal and even cheaper...

I try to eat egg whites/a few eggs and a banana. You would be surprised how fast you can prep a hot breakfast. Just sayin...;)
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I like Special K Protein, Special K Forest Berries and Cheerios. They're all around 140 calories a cup. Great with a dash of almond milk :) x
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal made in the slow cooker, enough for week, 2 minutes in micro in morning, a little milk & fruit.......Done
  • Betherella93
    Options
    I find Bran Flakes are good !
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Envirokidz' Panda Puffs and Barbra's Puffins are my two favorites.
  • jfcameron23
    jfcameron23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love mixing kashi with yogurt
  • johnrhino
    Options
    I manage on two Shredded Wheat for breakfast; lots of fibre and no sugar. The own label types are identical to the Brand so save money as well!
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love using puffed wheat (super cheap and low-cal) as a base. I then add any other cereal I want. My favorite add-ins are Flax Plus Raisin Bran and Joe's Os. Sometimes I just eat the puffed wheat with honey, nuts, and a few craisins or fresh berries.
  • netty1959
    Options
    i like shreddies, and cheerios, porridge is also quite filling