~~Midnight Shift Workers~~

Options
I'm looking for those who work the crazy night shift that can share their ideas/success/struggles with weight loss . I have trouble getting in all my calories on the nights I work. My shift consists of 12 hrs (6pm-6am). I have tried eating "breakfast" when i wake up in the afternoon then "lunch" when normal shift workers have dinner, then dinner around midnight , but because my job can be demanding, doesnt always work out to that type of eating schedule and I dont eat all the calories for the day. I'd like to hear from others who work midnight shifts and how they work with eating meals and getting everything in..... Thanks in advance guys :happy:

Replies

• IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Oh I so need to hear the answers to this too....

I'm nurse and work all different shifts which really seems to mess with my appetite. I want sleep more then anything.
  • cvanbeek
    cvanbeek Posts: 107
    Options
    I rotate I work one 12 over night a week 6-6. I just try to eat close to 1200 today I am under. But I know I will eat again in a couple hours. I just try not to be way under.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I work days at Starbucks and I dispatch tow trucks at night, 15 hour shifts 5pm to 8am. I sit at home and just wanna eat all night. I get calls at anytime during the night so I can sleep but when I get woken up I just want sugar to give me a quick wakeup. Also, working days at Starbucks, I readily have lots of sugar and caffeine available. When the caffeine is not cutting it I depend on sugar for energy.
  • disp53
    disp53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work the 12-8am shift.

I normally wake up around 4pm and have about a 250 calories snack. Eat dinner with my family a couple hours later. I will pack food for work. I normally eat oatmeal, an apple, orange or banana, greek yogurt, 8 ozs of skim milk with a serving of carnation instant bfast no sugar added powder. Then when I get home I will eat breakfast with the family and in bed by 10am.

I usually eat 1200-1500 calories a day depending on if I can get my walk in or ride.

Edited to add I have worked this shift for almost 11 years. I drink water and coffee inbetween my small meals and space everything out, so I am eating or drinking something every hour.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm a Nurse and I flip between 7a-7p and 7p-7a. I start "charting my food at midnight and go till 1159 that night. This way no matter what all my food is there. So sometimes like yesterday my breakfast is at 1am and my lunch was at 10a at mcdonalds w/ a coworker (bad choice) but moving past it. I've fallen off the wagon but hopped back on and am down 46lbs. The midnight to midnight is what works best for me.
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Uggggh...12 hour night shifts. I used to work that and it about killed me. I work full time nights but only 8 hour shifts. I'm able to manage my personal life and work life better that way. I don't feel so sleep deprived.
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. The way I work it is to split my calories up into "shifts". I have "breakfast" at work. Usually try to keep it at around 300 calories or less. Cereal, yogurt, fruit etc. I have a very slow shift unless my patients wake up so I always want to eat to keep from getting bored. If I drink a lot of water and spread my snacks out over the night, I find I'm most successful that way.
    I sleep from 8:30am-3:30pm. When I get up in the afternoon I have a light snack when my son gets home from school. Fruit or yogurt or something to tide me over to dinner (around 200 calories or less). Then I eat dinner with my family. I'm trying to make more healthy dinners for all our sakes so the calorie count is usually under 500 for a meal. Then I have a few calories left (200-250) for an after dinner snack before I go to work. I find I have trouble resisting temptation more in the evening so I always try to plan an indulgent snack then.
    I usually do pretty well on the nights I work. It's when I try to convert to a day person that I go off the rails. My schedule is not so structured then so I have trouble staying on the "plan". Hope this helps.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i work nights 7p-7a 3 nights in a row a week -- so the switching back and forth messes me up. but i tend to eat more on the days i work, because i tend to eat breakfast with my dtr when i get home and dinner with the family before work. then i end up snacking all night because i am tired -- so if anyone has ways of preventing the grazing of night shift then that would be helpful. -- i try to skip lunch and spread it out over the night (doesn't always work) and i have to try real hard to resist all the snacks and sweets that all the other nurses bring in
  • shellbee381
    Options
    I'm also a nurse working 11p - 730a. Very different eating pattern than most people. Biggest downfall: all the high fat, high carb, high sugar stuff sitting in the break room. I'm a carb junky and havent found a satisfying replacement yet. Lunch overnight is usually yogurt, salad, fruit, or sometimes coworkers bring in "stuff". Dinner is late afternoon and then a snack before bed. I sleep 4 hours in the morning , then 3 or 4 before work. I think my metabolism has slowed down bigtime because I have only lost one pound in 2 weeks. Any suggestions?
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I work 10:30pm to 7am. Wake up around 9:30pm have breakfast (usually about 300 cal) have break at 1am (200 cal), lunch around 3am (varies on cals) and then my protein shake after my workout and maybe something else for dinner in the morning. Check out my diary if you want.... I'd go back a few days... the last couple haven't been the best. Been rather lazy.
  • kris10718
    Options
    Thanks for some of the good ideas! Definitely going to try changing some things around on the nights I work and trying different things. I'm a 911 police/fire/ems dispatcher so nights can be crazy, sometimes its a eat when you can kind of night.

I started 2 weeks ago and the support i have seen here between people is amazing. The success stories are so motivating.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i go from midnight to midnight.

i work 7p to 7a

i eat breakfast foods when i get home around 7a. (i live literally 5 mins from work and gym, they are next to each other. ha)
    i go to bed or hit the gym
    i wake up and eat dinner around 5p.
    i go to work.
    i eat a snack around 11p.
    start of my next calorie counting day at midnight. i might snack around 1am
    i eat my lunch around 3am
    then back to breakfast at 7am.
  • dani0626_diary
    dani0626_diary Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I LOG MY CALORIES FROM MIDNIGHT TO MIDNIGHT>>>>> I work 7pm to 730 am. On the days that I am off, I eat normally. My first night back, I eat a normal breakfast at home, a light lunch with a snack or two, then I come in at 7. I eat my dinner around 10pm or 11pm (as long as it is before midnight). I log my calories from midnight to midnight.. MFP starts a new day over at midnight anyways. This has been the easiest for me to do......
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started 2 weeks ago and the support i have seen here between people is amazing. The success stories are so motivating.

You're right. I love the support we get here. It's one of the things that really attracted me to the site. My husband laughs at me because I'm not much of a Facebook or Twitter person. Never saw the appeal. But I post frequently on this site. Everyone is very supportive. We have a few rants but not too much. Everyone is in the same boat and sharing ideas helps us all.
  • dani0626_diary
    Options
    oo
  • disp53
    disp53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some of the good ideas! Definitely going to try changing some things around on the nights I work and trying different things. I'm a 911 police/fire/ems dispatcher so nights can be crazy, sometimes its a eat when you can kind of night.

We do the same job! We are limited to 8 hour shifts per our Union. I can't imagine working 12 hours in the same chair, staring at the same monitors for that long.
  • dani0626_diary
    Options
    i work nights 7p-7a 3 nights in a row a week -- so the switching back and forth messes me up. but i tend to eat more on the days i work, because i tend to eat breakfast with my dtr when i get home and dinner with the family before work. then i end up snacking all night because i am tired -- so if anyone has ways of preventing the grazing of night shift then that would be helpful. -- i try to skip lunch and spread it out over the night (doesn't always work) and i have to try real hard to resist all the snacks and sweets that all the other nurses bring in
    [/quote]

Try NOT skipping lunch... just eat a reasonable lunch and have fruit or somehting over the night... That may be why you are hungry because you were never satisfied in the first place. :)
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I work 9p-6a and I have been doing this shift for 9 years, it definately takes some getting used to eating this way. I eat a regular dinner at 5pm with my hubby. I have a light snack at mn like a fruit or cottage cheese or veggies. I have a breakfast at 4-5am, usually a dinner type meal so it is substantial enough to help me sleep at 7am when I get home. When I get up from sleep around 2 I usually have something small like a hard boiled egg or whole wheat toast with pb and then wait for dinner at 5. I only work 3-4 days at week but I have found that this really works nicely. I am able to turn myself around and do things normally on the days I don't work. good luck to you
  • rnctipton
    rnctipton Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also am a nurse who works 7p - 7a six nights in a row, then have eight off. I always log from midnight to midnight. Often my "lunch" at work (after midnight) is leftovers from dinner at home. Breakfast is either right before or right after I get home in the morning. When I wake up in the afternoon I eat dinner with the family and workout in whichever order works best for everyone. When I go to work at 7p sometimes I snack alittle before midnight, some nights I don't get the time. My problem is that I usually can't stay under my calories. I must be eating the wrong foods, still working on that. My days off are a regular schedule with the family, but I still log midnight to midnight.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    11pm-7am 5 days a week is my work sechdule. I struggled alot at first then just found what worked for me over time. all of my weight loss has come while working graveyard hours.

sleep is key. I tried the broken up chunks of sleep 2-4 hours sleep then wake up for a while then back to sleep 2-4 hrs, nope doesn't work for me. I usually go to bed by 2pm-3pm and up at 10:30pm. I need the solid 5-7 hrs. straight sleep to function. to me this is the most important thing of all. when I found I was tired all the time before I got my sleep in order I'd over eat at work and at home to stay awake. also didn't exercise at all.

food wise I eat just 2x on days I work. once at work. I graze on it during the whole night eating it real slow. it helps me stay awake. I also eat at home after work. usually around 11am-noon. I just eat that normally in 1 sitting.

excercise for me is whenever. most of my workouts are done at 2am. I go outside on the weekends during work for a 30-45 min fitness break. It's rarely busy at my work place on the weekends so I take advantage. I also hit the YMCA right after work in the mornings. I sometimes bring my gym stuff with me so I don't even need to stop by home first.

there's a group for night shift workers on MFP
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/508-night-crawlers
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for those who work the crazy night shift that can share their ideas/success/struggles with weight loss . I have trouble getting in all my calories on the nights I work. My shift consists of 12 hrs (6pm-6am). I have tried eating "breakfast" when i wake up in the afternoon then "lunch" when normal shift workers have dinner, then dinner around midnight , but because my job can be demanding, doesnt always work out to that type of eating schedule and I dont eat all the calories for the day. I'd like to hear from others who work midnight shifts and how they work with eating meals and getting everything in..... Thanks in advance guys :happy:

I work from 10pm-8am 4 days out of the week. The change of shift has had no effects on my weight gain and weight loss efforts. The body doesn't recognize breakfast, lunch or dinner.