What’s your favorite low calorie, healthy side dish?

Options
2»

Replies

• lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I steam cauliflower until very soft and then mash them or puree with parmesean cheese and garlic. I also use a tablespoon of half and half occassionally. Skim milk /chicken or vegetable stock works just fine to bind it together depending on your dietary restrictions. . I sometimes add chipotle peppers to them for an additional spicy twist. Yummy.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Steamed asparagus is our favorite. I also like to stir fry coleslaw mix w/ some teriyaki sauce. It tastes like the inside of an eggroll.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Or i honestly just like a nice vegetable, spinach, broccoli, or a mix. Im a pretty simple guy lol

Love Love Love steamed or roasted veggies on the side. Living in Cali I can be a little spoiled with great produce and we love having a garden. Nothing tastes as good as fresh broccoli.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Black eyed peas with spicy tomatoes. I used both from cans and heat in a saucepan until the excess water becomes thick, but it can be made from fresh food too
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I love zucchini tossed with olive oil and put it in the over for 20 min. Last 5 min. or so sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of parmesan on top. Yummy and my whole family gobbles it up :)
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    great ideas!! for some reason sides are my problem too
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I steam cauliflower until very soft and then mash them or puree with parmesean cheese and garlic. I also use a tablespoon of half and half occassionally. Skim milk /chicken or vegetable stock works just fine to bind it together depending on your dietary restrictions. . I sometimes add chipotle peppers to them for an additional spicy twist. Yummy.

I discovered mashed cauliflower a while ago and was amazed at how much it can taste like mashed potatoes if made right. Yummy! Gives me my starch fix.

Thanks for all the great ideas. My husband will be happy to have more variety too.:smile:
  • J_Daawwg
    J_Daawwg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump