Any breakfast cereal recommendations?

Options

Replies

• stormtrooper73
    Options
    i eat kellogs fruit and fibre...was never a breakfast person, but i have to admit it is nice... weetabix is nice with warm milk...maybe start the day with a piece of fruit and a multi vit drink........ so so many different ways to start the day ...... all the best stormy
  • tropical4321
    Options
    I love Dorset cereals, really tasty and no additives
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Personal favorite-
    Special K Red Berries.
    1 cup for 110 calories; not sure the sodium or any other of those though.

Yes, they are delicious, but they have 9 grams of sugar, 190mg of sodium, and only 2 grams of protein.

I usually eat cheerios, 1 cup is 100 calories, with 1 gram of sugar, 160mg sodium, and 3 grams of protein. Not a huge improvement of red berry special k, but at least it's not a total sugar bomb. Sometimes I'll also eat a cut up apple with peanut butter, or make oatmeal in the microwave.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love Autumn Wheat by Kashi
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    All Bran Cereal with sliced banana on top
  • NoMoreFatTony
    NoMoreFatTony Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My wife does this for herself. We also do it for the kids. You can mix sugary with plain. Do a half and half mix of:

Honey Nut Cheerios and Cheerios
    Frosted Mini Wheats and Mini Wheats
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have just started eating this and am finding it keeps the hungries away until lunch http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268583054
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Fiber one brands, the original is only 60 cals before milk...there are some more flavorful ones though that start at 80cal and go up to 120. =)
  • bugaboo1497
    bugaboo1497 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch is excellent because it's filling and satisfying and has high protien compared to other cereals.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    FIBER ONE has a nice 80 calorie cereal out that tastes good and is also high fiber.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    When I started looking at the Glycemic Index I quickly realized that not many cereals are low on it. All-Bran was, so I started eating that. Just this morning I was looking at the list of ingredients (I never thought to check seeing as how it's reccomended from sooo many sites) and ingredient #3 is sugar, ingredient #4 is high fructose corn syrup. And of course I just bought another box. It does only have I think 5 or 6 g of sugar. It doesn't really keep me full though. I like the Fiber One cereal, but I'll have to double check the ingredient list on that one, too. I'm going to trying to start actually liking oatmeal
  • cindycoley19
    cindycoley19 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really like Aldi's Fit and Active Vitality cereal with Red Berries or Almonds. Only 110 calories for 1 cup, 9g sugar....I add blueberries to mine. It's pretty lean compared to some of the healthy cereals on the shelf.
  • Hoegers
    Options
    I eat Fiber Now from Aldi. It is 60 calories per 1/2 cup but it is 15 grams of fiber. That is the highest I've found. Being insoluable fiber it passes through without being able to absorb hardly any of the calories. It also provides bulk so it helps to fill you. They have a couple of flavors. I usually mix the one that is the highest with another for some variety and add some fresh fruit. This is my go to nearly every morning.
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    porridge, two mins in the microwave, high in fibre, keeps you full for ages and a cholesterol buster too :smile:
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do only 1/4 cup of natures path pumpkin fax granola on top of Greek yogurt with fruit.

I also like uncle Sam flakes the same way but add just a drizzle of honey to that mix.

My other fave is steel cut oats, 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon. I make it ahead and then just add the applesauce/cinnamon before warming a portion in the microwave.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I read somewhere that a good rule of thumb is the sodium per portion should be less than the calories.
  • Bill_Bird1
    Bill_Bird1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Original Fiber One (not the honey coated and all the other flavors)
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Organic puffed wheat, fresh berries, and coconut or almond milk. If I have hard boiled eggs premade in the fridge. I'll throw one of those in.
  • sappyoldlady
    sappyoldlady Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The new Peanut Butter Cheerios are great.....however, I do better if I have the weight smart oatmeal....Banana Bread is my favorite!
  • rayleansout
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmela mixed with 1 scoop protein powder!