has anyone lost weight without exercise???????????

Options

Replies

• TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've lost 67 so far without any exercise. Probably not the best plan, but a back injury keeps me from doing much of anything. I just follow the calories mfp gives me for a 2lb.wk loss. The loss isn't always consistent, but it's still continuing to work for me.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but it wasn't healthy. I was super depressed and anxious all the time and couldn't eat and lost 50 lbs in 2 months. It sucks because I ended up with a bunch of loose skin. Really try to get 30 min of exercise/day, even if it's just walking. The 30 minutes doesn't even all have to be at the same time either.
  • Pattiann237
    Options
    Yes!! About 9 years ago I lost 40 lbs in 6 months with NO exercise, my life was just too hectic at the time (school and work). I didn't have a very active job either. I was on weight watchers, which is the same concept as counting calories. I was very strict with my eating, but I didn't feel deprived. I will say that I think my age had a lot to do with it. I was 23 at the time. I'm 31 now and I think it would be much harder to have the same results. Oh, also I kept that weight off for 6 years.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways. I lost the majority of my 97 lbs without exercise. But, take in mind it does matter how many calories you truly burn doing your normal lifestyle activities..work, home activities.etc. I am a full time working mom and I burn Monday -Friday around 2000 to 2200 calories. On weekends I burn around 1900 to 2000 when I am at home and not going anywhere just doing catching up and stuff. Now if we are out and about shopping or whatever I burn about what I do at work. I have a BodyMedia Fit (body bug) that shows my calorie burn so I know what I burn. Ok, When I was exercising I did lose weight a little faster. I also believe it tones you much better and like the previous posters said you can't rely on (scale weight) when your exercising because the muscle weighs more. Your thinner but weigh more maybe. I loved going to the gym. I hated the feeling of not being able to get there because of my kids commitments and stuff. I felt guilty and disappointed in myself all the time because I would have to skip a day or something. But I felt amazing while I as exercising. So I say that's the healthiest route but in this day and age it's very hard for people to juggle their jobs and kids and family activities and the gym. Also the gym costs. So then you have the exercises that are free. Walking does wonders! they even have walking dvd's that you can do at home. Leslie sansone is awesome with her walk away the pounds. She is evidence that you can actually lose weight keep it off and look great by only walking. I know lots of people who only walked as their exercise. Something else is that research has shown that you don't have to over do it or exercise every single day. Just 3 times a week of 30 minutes is enough. So yes you can lose but you'll feel a lot better if you exercise.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds without exercise, other than walking for 30 minutes a day.

Walking for 30 minutes a day counts as exercise. Walking was all I did for the first couple of months.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    hiya just wanted to know whether anyone has lost weight just sticking to a low cal diet and no execise ???????????

I didnt read all the replies so I have no idea if this was covered or not. If you stay on a calorie deficit diet YOUR BODY WILL ADJUST ITS METABOLIC RATE AND YOU WILL STOP LOSING. You can lose until this happens, but beleive me it will happen. Your body hates to lose weight and it will do everything it can to stop you from succeeding. So this is why working out or doing cardio helps. Theres many ways to counter this body process, including spiking your calorie intake sometimes, hence shocking your body and keeping it from figuring you out. For more on this check out the Spike 84 group on this site..
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yes, twice! I lost 50 and then gained it all back and then I lost 70 and gained it all back and more.

This time, I'm doing it the right way. Exercising let's me eat more and lose weight at the same time.
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can! I find that you just have to be far more careful with what you are eating. My biggest problem is having 3 jobs makes it harder to exercise. However, it is worth fitting in because I always have far more energy (positive energy!) and a better outlook on my daily routine. If you can fit in exercise I highly suggest it---if you can't then just really keep close tabs on your calorie intake. Also, if you are permanently "dieting" as in eating healthy it gets far more tetious than if you can splurge a little here and there when you are finding a way to exercise on a regular basis! Hope this helps :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    In brief, no. Not even with eating dangerously few calories. However, I did lose my first 9 pounds (the very first time around) by only drinking more water. So to some extent it can be done. But it doesn't work for the long term. A muscular frame will keep you "thinner" than a fatty thin frame. It will be better for you in the long run to include some exercise, even if it's only 10 minutes a day.
  • happilyeveractive
    Options
    So true! You need a combination of both :) Good luck!
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    you can exercise without even knowing it. Do lunges when folding clothes. reach more when you sweep the floor or vacuum. I also use a balance ball when I dust as I have a bad back but it helps my core and it is fun I also use a strengthing band and do it during commercials. every little bit helps.
  • happilyeveractive
    Options
    I actually work so hard at the gym that I some times find myself gaining some weight due to all the muscle building! Start measuring your body too (waist specifically) other than just using a scale. You'll surprise yourself how your weight might not change, or change as much as you like, but you still might be thinner!
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I refuse to not workout. I don't exercise... LOL

NO EXCUSES!!!
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It didn't work too much for me. But I found just a little exercise worked to help weight off.
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds with diet alone. I didnt like how flabby I was looking so I started C25K which is a training program for running. I also did some of the 30DS and the weight was dropping fairly quickly, then I stopped exercising and continued my diet, did gain back about 4-5 pounds. Now I've been taking spin and those 5 pounds have again disappeared. I can definitely see a change in how my clothes fit, and I feel great. I will not stop exercising again if I can help it. I hate to sound like a know it all, not trying to be, but exercise and diet DO go hand in hand. Even if all you can do is 10-20 minutes, do it, trust me that as the pounds drop and fat starts to disappear, you will make it your business to fall into some sort of exercise regime.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a health problem that limits the amount of exercise that I do. I walk and I do warm water movement class. I do no aerobic exercise and nothing to get my heart rate up. I am loosing weight. I think the slow walking still helps. You don't have to be Arnold (Schwartzenager --however you spell his name) to move a bit.
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 53 pounds in the last 15 months. The first 40 or so pounds I lost with no exercise whatsoever. Due to health issues, the only exercise I still do is walking at least 3 times a week for 1 to 2 hours. I don't think the walking has made me lose more, but it does make me feel better.
  • mtretter
    mtretter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm about to find out! I been with MFP for about 4 weeks now and have been loosing an average of 3 lbs. a week with diet and 2 hours of walking per day. Last Friday I tried speed walking intervals and got what seems to be shin splint in right leg. Walking that much is on hold for a while now. I am going to give it rest for week before trying it again so will be relying mainly on diet this next few weeks. I noticed when I was walking regularly I never felt hungry as I had my exercise calories to eat. Not walking the last few days I been getting more cravings that make me want to cheat, so I will have to exercise the will power more.:smile:

15650014.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds without exercise, other than walking for 30 minutes a day.

Walking for 30 minutes a day counts as exercise. Walking was all I did for the first couple of months.

It does? Oh, OK, thanks, haha, I guess I now have to admit to doing exercise! (Never thought I'd be saying that!)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yes, you CAN lose weight without exercise, but I don't recommend it.

Exercise is awesome because:
    1. It allows you a little more freedom in your food choices since it burns calories.
    2. It helps regulate your metabolism, your hormones, and your mood.
    3. If you don't work your muscles, they will deteriorate.
    4. The more you try to do, the more you can do. Your abilities will get better as you practice.
    5. As you are able to do more things, your confidence increases.
    6. Muscles are attractive on both men and women.

So, do what you can, when you can do it.