what's the most difficult part of being healthy for you?

Options
for me, it's forcing myself to slowly drink a glass or two of water and wait 20 minutes to feel full after a meal, so that i don't go and have another meal or snack immediately because i'm used to a much larger quantity of food. the waiting is the hardest part.

what's yours, and what do you do to stay strong?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you were constantly drinking water, you wouldn't have to do that. I just feel that's a wasted practice. Keep a water bottle on you and just drink water all day. When you're hungry, you'll know it's real hunger.

For me, it's not going over board. When I treat myself, I tend to go overboard. :\
  • Shawnjay75
    Shawnjay75 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For me drinking more water is a challenge and also portion control.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Not being able to eat cookies and such (which I do anyway)...and knowing that I have cals left.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Cutting out the sugar is the hardest part. I was eating 2 candy bars a day before I started dieting and I miss my sweets.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Making sure that I eat enough. When I am on a health kick, I tend to reduce my calories too much. But I know that healthier eating is a lifestyle change for my whole life, so I need to find a balance between not going overboard and not starving myself.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you were constantly drinking water, you wouldn't have to do that. I just feel that's a wasted practice. Keep a water bottle on you and just drink water all day. When you're hungry, you'll know it's real hunger.

For me, it's not going over board. When I treat myself, I tend to go overboard. :\

i do drink water throughout the day, at least 9 or 10 cups, more when i factor in coffee and green tea. it's just the concept of the plate of less food, though nutrient dense and full of fiber, that my brain needs to reconcile as "enough to fill me up".

i go overboard when i treat myself too... but i try to make relatively healthy treats, like arctic zero or pb2 chocolate rather than my danger indulgences.
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    alcohol and i used to be such great friends but i've been seeing a lot less of her lately :'[ i sit there and input it into mfp and then realize my laziness trumps my desire for another cocktail.

......... though i have totally wandered around tipsy at *kitten* o'clock in the morning just to burn off an extra drink.
  • jsnearly
    Options
    Trying not to eat out. Nothing better than dropping a 150 dollars on some great food and wine out.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I miss baking.
    Starting to get enough control that I can bake muffins and only have one, but only if I immediately pack up the rest to give away.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    PORTION CONTROL
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My hardest part is also cutting out sugar. I have the worst sweet tooth. I just started MFP seriously about a week ago. I still let myself slide and accommodate enough calories for a fun size candy which helps me curb that urge.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    night eating :/ gets me frequently
  • Cmacdonald75
    Cmacdonald75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Making the time to eat healthy, working full time, grand daughter living with us part time, i feel like i'm back on the new mother wheel where i'm going 90 mph all the time. having healthy meals takes time and effort, so it's very challenging for me right now to plan ahead and make sure we aren't falling back to unhealthy quick meal solutions.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    PORTION CONTROL

ME TOO!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    night eating :/ gets me frequently

Ditto (Badly)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Picking up heavy weights is one of the hardest things I do.
    In order to stay strong, I pick up heavy weights :)
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to the missing baking - baking is my life and what picks me up again if life gets stressful. My only solution is to bake half batches, have one muffin/cookie whatever it is as a treat and pack the rest up to take to work! Also, instead of baking sweet treats I have branched out into baking bread, flatbreads, wholegrain pizzas etc ... so that my baking fits better into my normal eating habits ... that way I can then also go totally overboard when baking cakes for friends' birthdays!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I miss baking.
    Starting to get enough control that I can bake muffins and only have one, but only if I immediately pack up the rest to give away.

i miss it too. i have a little list started of all of the "energy bars" and "protein bites" i'm going to make. i'm scared they'll be a trigger once they're done though. maybe we need a little bakers support group.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I miss baking.

ugh, this!
  • CajunApril
    CajunApril Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    sweets are my downfall, but the more i stay away from them the less i am craving them. my hardest time is TOM. This months TOM was a lot better this month with self control.