Is it damaging to work out after supper?

Options
2»

Replies

• skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I know that it's best to work out in the morning before you start your day

Where did you get that idea from?

^ insulin levels are lower so in theory you burn fat more efficiently :D
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I know that it's best to work out in the morning before you start your day

Where did you get that idea from?

I know I see the advocacy of morning workouts on sites like SparkPeople.com. Nothing against them, but this is just what I call an 'urban legend' of working out that has just been repeated so many times that people believer it. It's like saying you shouldn't eat after 6 PM or that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I often workout at night, around 9ish, as the gym is lovely and quiet then. It hasn't had any ill effects on me that I'm aware of. And it doesn't even impact on my sleeping. I go home, have a hot chocolate, watch a little tv, read a little, and go to sleep.

I tend to sleep better when I've worked out, regardless of the time I do it.
  • ClaytonRosa
    Options
    Not really.

I've consulted with several physical trainers about nutrition and timing and most experts just recommend tailoring your eating around your workouts to maximize performance and results.

If you work out at 8 PM, you want to eat a pretty light dinner around 6 or 6:30pm (at the latest). Give it a hour or so to get processed through your body and you're good to go. After your workout, you can eat something protein-filled to recuperate and recover.

On taso42's comment, from what I learned and researched, most people recommend working out before you've eaten a day's worth of food. An early morning workout means you're burning off you're base weight, and not just the food you've consumed throughout the day. The level of importance on this varies on the person.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Ive heard that when you work out after supper you burn the calories you just ate instead of fat However working our later means your metabolism is boosted while your sleeping
    I usually workout after supper/before i go to bed and ive had good results and it actually helps me sleep
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    Options
    Since I've been working out in the evening I found I sleep better. Not only am I waking up less during the night but I'm hitting REM sleep more often and feeling more rested come morning. That has just been my experience.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I already wake up at 6 AM but then I have to prep my toddler to go to the daycare etc. I just can't seem to fit my work outs in my morning schedule.

I'll keep doing it in the evening then
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you do work out in the evening an find it hard to relax, they do suggest to take a warm bath or shower before going to bed. I do this every now and again and it works great. If I do find myself working out in the evening.
  • ginamaria724
    Options
    I always do my workouts around 8 at night! That's the time that works best for me, and the only problems I've ever gotten from doing that was not being able to fall asleep right away.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I already wake up at 6 AM but then I have to prep my toddler to go to the daycare etc. I just can't seem to fit my work outs in my morning schedule.

I'll keep doing it in the evening then
    This would be my issue and the fact my 2 year old knows when I get up! lol

I wait till she and her older sister are in bed (she's 7). My 12 year old goes on the exercise bike while I work out.. Then I go on after my work out. It works well and tonight she actually reminded me it was workout time! lol

I would hate working out on without any food an hour or so before as well.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Nope. Whatever works for you.
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings because thats when I have the time and I am really not a morning person so getting up early before work to workout just isnt realistic to me. I usually try to workout before I eat dinner though because I am on my feet all day at work and it seems once I sit down I can never find the energy to workout.. lol. So I think that whenever you find the time is good.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Actually, the best time to work out is when you prefer and it fits into your schedule.

It's like eating something you don't like because "they" say it's good for you.
  • Dkittery
    Options
    I use to work out in the evening and I found I couldn't sleep, now that I do double sessions (morning & evening), sleep isn't an issue. I'm usually exhausted. My dinner is pretty much a Protein shake after my night work out.

Good Luck. :)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    working out whenever YOU can is better than not working out at all, sometimes I do mine in the am, sometimes in the pm, whatever works for you........what keeps you up may not keep the next person up........what makes my tummy hurt may not make your hurt......:)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    working out whenever YOU can is better than not working out at all, sometimes I do mine in the am, sometimes in the pm, whatever works for you........what keeps you up may not keep the next person up........what makes my tummy hurt may not make yours hurt......:)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I can't workout in the evening UNLESS I have supper. Otherwise, I'm completely out of gas.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I work out after dinner after my food settles. It helps me eat a smaller portion too. Because running on a full stomach is no fun
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I workout every single night about an hour after dinner...and usually i am able to go to bed about an hour or two after I finish working out. I don't find it affects my sleep habits or digestive system. Of course, I don't have heavy dinners...they are light. And then when i am finished working out I usually have a small yogurt ( or some other tiny protein to repair muscles).