why almond milk

Options

Replies

• AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    it is so good! I drink it because I'm part vegan (I eat eggs) so no dairy for me
    I don't think you can be "part vegan". I believe you are an ovo vegetarian.
    Maybe one of her parents is vegan, making her part-vegan.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    it is so good! I drink it because I'm part vegan (I eat eggs) so no dairy for me

the only part of you that is vegan is the 'not' part.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

the only part of you that is vegan is the 'not' part.

sitdown-when-shots-are-fired1.jpg
  • andreacord
    Options
    I add it to certain things if my carb count is already high, ex. cereal because a cup of milk is 12 g of carbs or in a protein shake instead of milk because if I use chocolate powder I tend to throw in half a banana but they're pretty high carb.

Edit: I'm intolerant to soy as well and prefer the taste WAY over soy milk anyway.
  • andreacord
    Options
    It's good. Although it can be challenging to milk an almond, they are wily things. And soy beans, milking them is VERY hard.

:laugh: OH MY GOD. this made my night.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I tasted that for the first time a few weeks ago, bought a half gallon of it, it was horrible, the consistency, the taste, yuck, I'll stick with my 1%milk, I really hated it......

What brand did you try? If you have the Silk True Almond in your refrigerated section, try that. It's delicious...and maybe start with either the original or the vanilla or dark chocolate, as opposed to unsweetened.

I also love the Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze. Not necessarily to drink just straight up, but on cereal or in smoothies or baking it works like a hot damn. :)
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It agrees with me much more than dairy (which I love) or soy. I also love coconut milk (Kara) but Almond milk is creamier so great for coffee...

Only problem is in the UK it's about £3 per litre... about twice the price of Kara and about a trillion times the price of milk!
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla in cereal. I haven't done too much else with it. Tried it in my coffee, wasn't a fan.

I am really intrigued by the coconut milk. I haven't bought it yet because well it has slightly more cals than almond, so I just went that route.

Does coconut milk have a coconutty flavor??? mmmm sounds tasty!
  • caligirl04
    caligirl04 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk because it upsets my stomach. I love using Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk in my smoothies. So yummy and low carb too!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of cow milk, like several liters a week to myself. I was having some stomach issues but wasn't making the connection it was my bf who said "I think it's all the. Milk you drink" so, I tried cutting back but found if It was in the house I would drink it. That is what led me to switching to almond milk. I use almond breeze, the unsweetened kinds for cereal and smoothies etc, and to drink I really like the chocolate...not the unsweetened one, if I'm going to have a glass I'll splurge the few extra calories. I love how it tastes and I am very surprised to realize that I don't even miss cow milk, the stomach issues I was having are thankfully gone so it mustve been a bit of a sensitivity.

Edited to say the reason I went with almond over soy is because I have endometriosis and my doctor has told me to avoid anything soy because of the hormones or something could cause me some issues.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    it's yummy!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys, I'll definitely be trying it (and know there's a chance I won't like it. Probably the plain since I usually mix it with things and generally don't drink milk by itself. Does that sound good or should I go for the sweetened?
    Also, as humans, we are the only animal who drinks other animal's milk. Baby cows should be the only animal to drink cows milk. I'm all for cheese, though, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.
    I've heard this before and it's probably very true. Another thing that's unsettling is there's trans fats in the milk I drink...As far as I know trans fats are man made...they did not come out of the cow.
    It's low on calories, doesn't play on oestrogene (soy does) and it's lactose free. Soy is pretty bad in large quantities for man like woman becaose it has isoflavines which influences oestrogene levels (boost it up). If I remeber correctly it's not recommended for women who had or have breast cancer.

Yeah I knew about the problems with Soy. We get enough of it in our diet without the milk. It's impossible to go to the grocery store here and find bread without it. It can be in MANY of our foods such as:

Breads, crackers, cakes, rolls, or pastries containing peanuts, peanut oil, soy flour Processed and "natural" cereals which contain soy ingredients, pasta, Soy beans, soybean sprouts, sauces, Fruit drink mixes, fruit toppings, coffee substitutes instant coffee, hot cocoa mixes, malt beverages, pork link sausage, deli/luncheon meats, Commercially prepared meats (used as a meat extender), cheese substitutes, tofu, bean curd, natto, miso, textured vegetable protein, canned soups, commercial entrees, and combination foods, Baked goods, such as cakes or cookies which contain soy flour, commercial ice creams and other frozen desserts, Hard candies, nut candies, fudge, and caramels, Margarine and butter substitutes salad dressings, mayonnaise, sauces, or gravies, Commercial vegetarian products and meat substitutes Heinz® Worcestershire sauce, Lea & Perrins® sauce, fermented soybean pastes (miso and natto), Soy sauce, tamari sauce, granola, or breakfast bars, Imitation bacon bits, Roasted soybeans or "soy nuts"...
    http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/allergy/soy.html - Children's Hospital at Standford

There's actually a new law in affect in some countries where you HAVE to state in plain English that it contains soy.

If you want some evidence of why Soy read the below links (I found them pretty interesting) or listen to this youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIn2L90wA8&feature=player_embedded.

Even scientists who were pro soy said things like "I am myself frightened a little bit by all of this. There is so much we don't know," Finnish scientist Herman Adlercreutz commented at the soy conference.... (http://www.aquarianonline.com/Wellness/soy.html, from The Aquarian, liked reading this one)

US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health -http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10763906?dopt=Abstract

World's #1 Natural Health Website - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx

...to name a few that pop up in google search. There's many books on it now, one popular one being "The Truth About Soy" (haven't read it but figured I'd make it available to others).

I am NOT saying I'll never eat soy again...it's pretty much impossible and I'll probably try the milk, I've never tried it and there's many good nutrients in soy in general (the youtube vid talks a bit about the good and bad). I just wish they didn't put it in everything.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    So Im sitting here with my almond breeze original, natur-a soy, and grand pre 2% (cause you know, I had to end this with a experiment).
    2% - not a big fan of milk but I can manage a whole glass. Theres D and A added. I could get this other ways since it wasnt in it naturally. Good in coffee shakes and on its own.
    Almond - tastes like liquid almond, go figure. That 'plesant after taste' they talk about is liquid almond after taste. Not sure if I'd call that good but no complaints. Alot better then I thought it would be considering comments I've read. I found it really sweet, even tho there is less sugar (I guess thats from the liquid cane?). Theres phosphorus and magnesium but no D or A (I get lots of a but not so much D which is important and in the 2% both are artificially added so I suppose I could just take a vitamin). I enjoy this on its own in small doses. Maked my hazelnut coffee taste almondy which was nice.
    Soy - lots of additional nutrients, tastes strong and I am not a fan of it at all. I cannot see which pallet wiuld be? Would rather just eat bread as there is soy in mostly all the grains in the grocery store, and if you read a couple scientific studies you'll see theres great nutrients but to much soy can lead to big problems and since I eat grains I probably get plenty. I cannot drink any on its own (wanted to throw the sip I had out). May be good in coffee but I dont think Id be able to pull off a shake. Its thicker then the rest and isnt sweet tasting at all tho the sugar content is 7 like it is in the almond.

Probably going to have almond for a change but how do you get your D???
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    So Im sitting here with my almond breeze original, natur-a soy, and grand pre 2% (cause you know, I had to end this with a experiment).
    2% - not a big fan of milk but I can manage a whole glass. Theres D and A added. I could get this other ways since it wasnt in it naturally. Good in coffee shakes and on its own.
    Almond - tastes like liquid almond, go figure. That 'plesant after taste' they talk about is liquid almond after taste. Not sure if I'd call that good but no complaints. Alot better then I thought it would be considering comments I've read. I found it really sweet, even tho there is less sugar (I guess thats from the liquid cane?). Theres phosphorus and magnesium but no D or A (I get lots of a but not so much D which is important and in the 2% both are artificially added so I suppose I could just take a vitamin). I enjoy this on its own in small doses. Maked my hazelnut coffee taste almondy which was nice.
    Soy - lots of additional nutrients, tastes strong and I am not a fan of it at all. I cannot see which pallet wiuld be? Would rather just eat bread as there is soy in mostly all the grains in the grocery store, and if you read a couple scientific studies you'll see theres great nutrients but to much soy can lead to big problems and since I eat grains I probably get plenty. I cannot drink any on its own (wanted to throw the sip I had out). May be good in coffee but I dont think Id be able to pull off a shake. Its thicker then the rest and isnt sweet tasting at all tho the sugar content is 7 like it is in the almond.

Probably going to have almond for a change but how do you get your D???

Try the unsweetened almond breeze. It is plenty sweet and only has 40 calories. I take a D (2000 IU) supplement at the advice of my doctor. Depending on your skin tone, you may get plenty being outside for a little while. If you are darker than olive tone, your mileage may vary.
  • jcvigi
    jcvigi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla flavored (non sweetened) almond milk in my protein shakes because it's a great tasting, low calorie way to add HEALTHY fat to my shakes.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Low in calories. I put it in protein shakes and coffee.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i prefer soy and rice milk over almond; although i've only had the unsweetened almond milk.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I was looking for unsweerened almond breeze but only found original which had half the sugar of 2 percent milk. Is there a less sweeter version?
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ok help me out Almond milk lovers please? I bought my first carton of Almond milk last week. Its 90 calories in a cup and its made by Silk. I don't hate it I'm just trying to get used to the strange consistency... Like somewhere between milk and sour cream. Are they all that consistency? And which one is less calories?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Ok help me out Almond milk lovers please? I bought my first carton of Almond milk last week. Its 90 calories in a cup and its made by Silk. I don't hate it I'm just trying to get used to the strange consistency... Like somewhere between milk and sour cream. Are they all that consistency? And which one is less calories?

Ew, no, not at all. I found the soy one I tried really thick but I don't find the Almond Breeze thick at all (it's probably less so then 2%). A MFP friend recommended I get Almond Breeze Blue Diamond because she's tried others and they've clumped in milk. Perhaps try blue diamond original instead? It's 40 calories a glass (you can always go to enter a food and type in almond milk and check out the calories there for a general idea).

http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navId=53 for the nutritional charts of all different flavors. I had original but apparently there is a unsweetened original. When I try the unsweetened I'll try to remember to post here.

If you try it let me know. I'd like to know the differences!