its ok to eat raw peppers, rightt?

Options
2»

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    srs? It's like someone saying "don't eat peanuts because you'll go into anaphylactic shock"
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    botanically - fruits
    culinary use - vegetables
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    eat as many raw pepper as you want and kick your friend for being a dummy.
  • FitnessWitch
    Options
    I don't eat three a day, but have been known to eat a whole one at a sitting. Never heard of anyone getting sick on them, unless they have an alergy or they just don't agree with them. For example, I can't eat raw onions (total repetition and discomfort) but grill them and I'm fine. Peppers are high in antioxidants and nutritional value. Eat up!
  • wilkin777
    wilkin777 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Some people suffer from indigestion and stomach cramps as a result of the skin but this is generally the result of a predisposed condition which causes sensitivity to certain acids. If you don't get reflux or cramps from the peppers then you're good to go! : ))
  • DRDancer
    DRDancer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. My 6 year old just taught me that anything with seeds is a fruit. :blushing:
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    srs? It's like someone saying "don't eat peanuts because you'll go into anaphylactic shock"

if you havent got anything nice to say, then please dont say it at all. I ask, just for curiosity, i dont need to see sarky comments like that, thankyou.:drinker:
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. My 6 year old just taught me that anything with seeds is a fruit. :blushing:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Peppers aren't a fruit? They are a vegetable... O.o

Oh really, now I look like a right dumbass. Lmao! :blushing:

Not at all! I mentally consider them a vegetable though I know better :P
  • kteslik
    kteslik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know no one has posted in here for a long while, but I did want to add some information I've learned regarding the topic and original question. I used to eat bell peppers, especially red, very frequently. One evening a few months ago, I sliced an entire red bell pepper and ate it. Within an hour, I felt a few cramps like my stomach was bloated or uncomfortably full. Another hour later, I was aching in a big, bad way. The stomach cramps continued that night and worsened to the point where I considered going to hospital. Since then, when I have any amount more than about half of a bell pepper (any color), I get the same cramps. After looking around and doing some research, as well as talking with a nutritionist, I discovered that bell peppers have a certain protein in them that is extra difficult for the body to digest. Thus, if a large quantity of peppers is eaten, cramps may occur because of this protein blockage and the body's struggle to digest it. I hope this helps. I can't imagine it's something that occurs for everyone every time he or she eats peppers, but I can verify that too many peppers may cause painful cramps.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Heck yes. I eat red bell pepper like apples just about everyday for snacks.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Very good for metabolism - if your eating 3 that's insane haha I struggle with half of one!:laugh:
  • Change4mygirls
    Change4mygirls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My kids love raw veggies. They like it better than cooked. They eat raw corn on the cob, green beans, cucumbers, green peppers and carrots and love it!

My mother was worried when my oldest started years ago. She was worried it would make her sick. Honestly, it's better for her. They just don't like the consistency of cooked veggies.