Anyone breastfeeding during weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• amysala85
    Options
    I was wondering about this. Ive been breastfeeding or pregnant since 2005, and my last is now 1 year old, he turned 1 on the 7th. I wasn't logging the breastfeeding and doing good. But I dont feel like Im loosing as much as I should. Im not going to log the breastfeeding tomorrow and see how he does. I know my body hangs on to weight while bf and as soon as Im done it falls off like nothing. Ive been nursing since 9/3/09 with my 3rd and then had my surprise IUD guy and weaned her at about 20 months it was so hard tantum nursing, and my daughter was like a vaccuum, that was so hard to do. I want my body back after all these years of being stuck, the weight is coming off and I know I need patience and I know i can't fully concentrate nursing. But Im logging and exercising and can't wait for that day.
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my 19 month old and I add the "breastfeeding 3-5 times a day" into my food diary. It takes off 300 calories, some days I go over but I don't make a huge deal of it because I know some days she'll feed up to 8 times. I breastfed my son(now 4) till he was 22 months and I didn't count calories and barely exercised and I still lost the weight pretty quick.
  • knelson422
    Options
    I nursed and ate fewer than I was suppossed to and my milk supply went down. I uped my caloric intake, made sure I ate back all of my exercise calories and drank a TON of water and milk. Also make sure you take your vitamins. You can do it. DON"T worry about what other people think. I think there is a way to add the calories your body uses to make the milk to your exercise out put so that it will still say that you are under your calorie goal if you feel like that would help you. I know that seeing that red number for some reason bugs, even if you know you are eating the right amount. You can do it. You are doing something really important for your baby, make sure you take care of you!! Good for you!!!
  • dunkt10
    dunkt10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooo much! :-)
    You're nursing twins?? Congratulations!!! Please take note of this - if you are exclusively breastfeeding both of them, you should be adding 500 calories/day for EACH baby, and working really hard to stay properly hydrated. You can add it into your diary under "food", just look for "breastfeeding twins".

All the best to you!!!

Here is some info for you from Storknet:

Eat to appetite. Don't restrict your intake too severely in an attempt to lose your pregnancy weight too quickly. If you are losing more than 1/2 to 1 pound per week, you probably aren't eating enough. (If you were overweight before pregnancy or gained excessive pregnancy weight, losing up to 2 pounds per week may be appropriate)

If you are exclusively nursing twins or more, you may need an extra 500 calories and 10 grams protein per day for each baby you are nursing. You may need to eat 6 - 8 times per day to achieve this. Drinking extra milk, fruit juice, fruit smoothies and milkshakes can help boost your intake.

Take a multivitamin with minerals to help ensure you are meeting your needs for micronutrients. If you aren't choosing 4-5 calcium-rich foods each day, you may need an extra calcium supplement.

Keep up your fluid intake. Drink water, milk, or fruit juice each time you nurse. Lactating mothers of multiples can be producing 2 or more liters of milk per day!
  • dunkt10
    dunkt10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the replies! I find everything very useful especially counting my calories burned.