Setting a realistic goal?

Options
I'm 25 years young and weigh 183lbs my desired goal is 165 but I'm finding it difficult to get down that far. I have been eating less and exercising more but still not much change but 5lbs lost here and 5 lbs gained there. I am more of a stocky build, i understand muscle weighs the same as fat( a pound is a pound) but should i be happy at 180? should i risk losing muscle just to get to 165?

Replies

• LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories? Also, what are you eating? I'm sure you can successfully cut out some more pounds, but having dedication & doing the RIGHT way will get you there. (wish I could listen to myself when it comes to this, lol). Don't sacrifice muscle, but work on body fat. Good luck. :drinker:
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Personally, no, I don't think its worth sacrificing muscle to get to a certain scale goal. Seems counter-productive as you need that muscle to help you maintain that weight easily!

I can suggest you concentrate on a body fat goal, or some sort of strength goal.

How tall are you? 165 seems low for a male, I'm a 5'3 female and my goal is around 155-160 and about 22%.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    This has been the biggest drawback of weight loss.
    Muscles shrink....HATE THAT!

I am in the process of reevaluating my weight goals, wondering if that is what I truly want.
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    i'm only 5'5 and my doctor told me i have high blood pressure and should be 165 or close to it for my size, i lift weights 3-4 times a week. I may not eat too healthy but i have cut down on junk food like chips and chocolates except here and there. Anyone know a easy way to find out body fat percentage?
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    i'm only 5'5 and my doctor told me i have high blood pressure and should be 165 or close to it for my size, i lift weights 3-4 times a week. I may not eat too healthy but i have cut down on junk food like chips and chocolates except here and there. Anyone know a easy way to find out body fat percentage?
    Body Fat
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

The above site is spot on all the time.
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    thank you very much!
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    26.8 i take it thats not good? lol
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think 18% and under is ideal for a male. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But that at least indicates that you should be safe to lose more pounds, there is fat to lose rather than muscle. Keep up the lifting you're doing to help preserve what you have though : )
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    I'll just have to cardio it up and take this a little more seriously, the outcome is on me =) thanks everyone for the advice!
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    I think 18% and under is ideal for a male. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But that at least indicates that you should be safe to lose more pounds, there is fat to lose rather than muscle. Keep up the lifting you're doing to help preserve what you have though : )
    I am at 17% - too fat...going for 12% - no more than that.
    Guys start to look shriveled to me - not good.

I don't want to be a little man...:noway:
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    26.8 i take it thats not good? lol
    You want to shoot for 15% - see how that feels. Go from there....
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Shoot for appearance, for performance ability, and for wellness. Never let a number overshadow those goals. Do you feel that you have the appearance of more fat than you want? Are there things you want to be able to do that you currently cannot? Or, do you think you are at an unhealthy weight and would be more healthy if you lose weight? If none of those are true, I'd say you're perfect right where you are.

My husband just broke 200, and he does have a little fat he could lose but he's just dandy where he is too. He's muscular (built like a barbarian, I always tell him), tall, and just a beefy guy. I would not want him to be 165; he'd have to lose a lot of chest and arm muscles!

Think about why you want to lose and that will help you decide what your goal should be.

EDIT: I just noticed your screen name - my husband is in the army too. All those pushups will really build some heavy muscle on your upper body, so that might be why you have trouble getting rid of it! Don't worry, it's a good thing.
  • vmwmvb
    vmwmvb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am guessing by your name that you are in the Army. So...I am an Army brat and have done a little PT with the guys here and there. So my question is How dependent are you on soda and energy drinks?