dairy?

Options
2»

Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    To those who do not eat or drink dairy -

So you see no nutritional benefits at all?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    What about strong bones and teeth?

Dairy is not the only source of calcium. It can come from dark leafy greens, fortified soymilks, and almonds, just to name a few. http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    here we go again lol

in MY opinion dairy, milk and milk products, is baby food not needed by healthy adults.. i am not vegan, i just believe that

there's plenty of calcium in a healthy diet. mama cows give their babies a head start on good bones and teeth with their milk, then they go eat grass and hay because even cows know when to quit eating baby food.. like i said "healthy" adults do not need milk
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

in MY opinion dairy, milk and milk products, is baby food not needed by healthy adults.. i am not vegan, i just believe that

Did you know that humans are the ONLY species of mammals that consume the milk of another species? We are also the only mammals that continue consuming milk after infancy. Clearly, dairy is not a biochemical requirement for healthy bones.

The biggest thing you can do to keep your bones strong is resistance training. Every time a muscle pulls on a bone, it stimulates specialized cells to form new bone cells. Bones are living tissue - just like muscle or blood. If you don't use your body, bones will weaken far more quickly than muscles.

You can get plenty of calcium and vitamin D by consuming raw vegetables.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Dairy is not the only source of calcium. It can come from dark leafy greens, fortified soymilks, and almonds, just to name a few. http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html

^^... This.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    To those who do not eat or drink dairy -

So you see no nutritional benefits at all?

Yep. No benefits to it (esp. if you look at it long-term) aside from taste and the fact that dairy is in almost everything. Going dairy-free is a major PITA.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    My doctor asked me to cut out a lot of things due to some regular abdominal pain for a few weeks, and dairy was one of them.

I am on week three with no real dairy intake. I don't check labels and stuff, but I don't have any straight up dairy (eggs, cheese, etc). My problem has gone away, but there are a lot of things that I cut out so I don't want to blame dairy.

My digestion is so much better now that it was before, dieting is easier as not a lot of calories going to cheeses and stuff.

I would recommend trying it for a few weeks and see how your body reacts. It is one of the last things I am eating.

- Advocado's make a great replacement for cheese / mayo on sandwiches
    - almond milk and soy milk are okay replacements for milk (and if you go flavored are really good in coffee)
    - never a fan of eggs, so no suggestions there

Like I mentioned, I know some of the food I eat has some eggs in it somewhere, but I've not started worrying about that yet.

I also agree with other people that we are the only animal that drinks milk after infancy. And that is kinda creepy when you think about what you are drinking.

eggs are not dairy. just potential baby chickens (i didn't say i never eat eggs)
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    Yep. No benefits to it (esp. if you look at it long-term) aside from taste and the fact that dairy is in almost everything. Going dairy-free is a major PITA.

Not really. There's a huge market out there for alternative milks, etc., and if you follow a diet rich in whole foods, you don't really have to worry about this. It's a little more label-reading, but ultimately it's better for the animals and your body.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i stopped drinking milk over 10 years ago, just because i liked soy better, but i always ate copious amounts of cheese, ice cream, and yogurt. as soon as i started losing weight anytime i'd eat cheese, butter, or anything with any milk product in it, i'd have immediate GI distress as well as irritation and soreness inside my mouth, lips, and tongue. all allergy tests were negative, but i know how i feel. lactaid or not, dairy isn't my friend. though i don't have the mouth problems with greek yogurt, it isn't easy on my GI, but i eat it for the protein.
  • yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cheese is my favorite food, so I always have reduced fat sharp cheddar and reduced fat string cheese in my fridge. I also found light baby bel cheese..Borden's also makes a fat free sharp cheese slice(love them on grilled cheese or with egg whites!...I think if you find what you enjoy, you can still have what you like without the tough caloric penalties!
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I eat a wide variety of food (veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, grains, seeds) and I don't miss dairy at all, nor do I feel as though I'm missing out on anything because I don't consume it. My calcium levels are great... I get it tested every few months.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    The biggest reason, for me, to stop buying dairy products is the direct connection between the dairy and veal industries. Male calves who are born from dairy cows are generally sent directly for slaughter, and considering that veal was something that disgusted me long before I gave up animal products, it essentially made me quit dairy cold turkey.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all. If you like cheese, keep eating it as your snack. I personally don't eat a lot of dairy because it makes me sick. The only thing I can eat is fat-free yogurt or fat-free frozen yogurt. Something about the fat content of dairy products really upsets my stomach. Even if I have low fat yogurt instead of fat-free, I get incredibly sick =/
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Not really. There's a huge market out there for alternative milks, etc., and if you follow a diet rich in whole foods, you don't really have to worry about this. It's a little more label-reading, but ultimately it's better for the animals and your body.

I AM 100% dairy free. Happy that I did it and now it is much easier and more second nature. But it wasn't an easy transition for me (mostly because of deserts and hidden milk sources) and I find I have to be very vigilant with prepared foods and when eating out.
  • Fat2PhatRT
    Options
    I like cheese for the protein and it also seems to satisfy a certain texture craving. Completely excluding a food has never worked for me, instead I try to become more aware of what I'm eating and try to intentional about it-ex. if I order a sandwich I will probably skip the cheese because I generally don't miss it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    here we go again lol

There's a reason all other animals on the planet stop drinking dairy. Calcium is important, dairy naturally or unnaturally pumped with hormones you can do without. Feel free to eat your cheese (I know I do) just remember what a real portion size is. Many don't realize a serving size of cheese is a few dominos or a few dice big (one ounce).

serving sizes = http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrservings.html

Be careful if you decide to change from dairy to soy not to overdose on it, it's in everything, you probably don't need to drink it too.
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    So, there are multiple reasons to limit or cut dairy out all together:

1) cut calories - make room for more nutritious foods
    2) cut fat
    3) animal cruelty - sucks big time for dairy cows and the infants they are forced to carry, deliver, and give up to the veal industry/slaughter, and lots of cheese is made with rennin which comes from the stomach lining of a baby cow
    4) intolerance/allergy
    5) healthier bones - yes, there are multiple studies that show dairy actually leaches calcium from our bones. a correlation is shown with countries that consume less dairy and having less osteoporosis. I'm sure other variables are present. But, bio-chemistry supports the theory.

And there is really one reason to keep eating it*:
    1) you like to eat it

*Notice that "best source of protein, calcium, etc" or "nutritional requirement" is not listed

My personal reasons were #'s 3 and 4. First is was about the animals, then after being "clean" for a few months, I "cheated" and had a milk chocolate candy bar. I thought I was going to DIE!!!!! I didn't realize that the constant state of GI distress wasn't normal. I remember thinking I had that irritable bowel syndrome or something, but never did anything about it. Now, when I have something that has a little milk in it, my stomach gets achy like it used to always be. But if I eat something like milk chocolate with a lot of milk compared to what I'm used to - I just want to rip my insides out, it hurts so bad!!! I have only done that twice since eliminating dairy two years ago. I don't plan on doing it ever again!!

Obviously, not everyone is going to have these reactions, but I agree with an above statement - I think a lot of people (again, not EVERYONE) have these intolerances and just don't realize how much better they could feel.