How to push yourself during a workout?

Options
Okay, so when I work out, I have major problems pushing myself. I don't get my heart rate up to where it needs to be because I feel like I'm going to die, which indicates that I'm not working hard enough. I take frequent breaks and just dont push myself as much as I should!
Anyone have any tips on pushing yourself to do something that seems impossible?

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Confused...if feel like going to die then I would think that means your heart rate is high! At least I do. Gasping and panting. I would say 1-get good pump it up music that you like...make you go hard without realizing.
    2-Do as I do and pretend you are a super hero fighting crime (bad food and fat) and beat up the bad guys (junk food and sedentary life)!!!!!!!
  • stuckinlimbo1100
    Options
    Well, I'm out of shape, so when my HR is at a good range and when my muscles start to burn I start feeling like I'm going to die. Lol.
  • stuckinlimbo1100
    Options
    Confused...if feel like going to die then I would think that means your heart rate is high! At least I do. Gasping and panting. I would say 1-get good pump it up music that you like...make you go hard without realizing.
    2-Do as I do and pretend you are a super hero fighting crime (bad food and fat) and beat up the bad guys (junk food and sedentary life)!!!!!!!

And thank you, that's a great analogy!
  • lilkitn
    lilkitn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I put music on my MP3 player with high BPM (beats per minute), when I really get into my tunes I start pacing myself with the music and let me tell you sometimes it's hard to slow down!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I got a trainer to start my weight loss journey. He pushes me and got me in the mind set of wanting that uncomfortable feeling. Now I have no problem pushing myself to that limit. He also hit me whenever I started complaining...which I think I am still subconciously scared of lol
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i preplan my workout based on something I know I can do. For example, I did 1/2 mile intervals at my target 5k pace. It was pretty hard but I know in my head I can do it so I just stick to the plan and convince my body that it is possible.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the structure of the Couch to 5k program. I don't push myself *too* hard... only as hard as it tells me to push myself. That I like.

After running, I tend to play on a stationary bike or eliptical with my book... nice & relaxed, & just chill out for a bit :)
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    TURN THE MUSIC UP LOUDERRRR!!!!
  • DenverKos
    Options
    I got a trainer to start my weight loss journey. He pushes me and got me in the mind set of wanting that uncomfortable feeling. Now I have no problem pushing myself to that limit. He also hit me whenever I started complaining...which I think I am still subconciously scared of lol

A trainer is great if you can afford it, just get referrals for one who WILL push you like you need to be pushed, and whose personality will mesh well with yours.
    You can also try group exercise classes - you may be less likely to let up and will push harder if there are other people in the room with you, and where it will be blatantly obvious that you aren't working as hard or pushing it like the other people are. Some group exercise instructors will call you out, too. I HATE swimming (because I suck at it! lol) but since I like triathlon, I HAVE to swim. I just can't seem to motivate myself to push hard to get better at it. So I signed up for swimming at my college as a class. I had to go because my GPA depended on it, and the instructor is also the advisor of my program (Human Performance) so I was doubly motivated to do well and push myself. It REALLY motivated me to do way more than I ever would have on my own.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the structure of the Couch to 5k program. I don't push myself *too* hard... only as hard as it tells me to push myself. That I like.

After running, I tend to play on a stationary bike or eliptical with my book... nice & relaxed, & just chill out for a bit :)

That, I've herd nothing but good about couch to 5k. I use circuit training to get out of a slump
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I visualize myself back in my size 10 jeans and that keeps me going LOL! I see myself about 2 1/2 years ago after I lost 80 lbs so I know I can do it and it helps push me thru the tough moments!
  • dabomb5198
    Options
    It's a critical mistake to push to hard when you begin exercising push yourself but not to the point of pain save that for when you reach your exercise groove. It took me a couple months of steady exercise to be in shape enough to push really hard. you don't want to overdue and give up because it's too painful Good luck.
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself things like "If I want to get to my goal, I need to push harder" . I just really try to keep my thoughts positive because I know that the second my thoughts are negative, I'm going to want to quit. And I'm not going to quit! I may have a bad day here and there, but I will never give up.

Music!!!! I make different playlists on my iPod to keep me moving. I listen to really upbeat fast-paced music that pumps me up during my workout. I find that I push a lot harder on the days that I have my iPod vs. the days I don't.

Try to focus on why you are working out and where you want to be. Trust me, if you keep it up, it will get somewhat easier. When I first started exercising, my heart rate would sky rocket, now I have to work to get it past 130. Also, I really enjoy exercise now. It really is all about mindset in my opinion. If I wasn't so positive and if I didn't want this as bad as I do... I would have failed already.

I hope something I said helps you. :smile:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    It is okay to start slow and work up. When I first started working out, I often got faint, so I would just wait till I felt better then finish the 30 minute workout. You should see me now -- I can go hard at exercise and I'm getting addicted. Lots of people will tell you PUSH yourself, but I say do what you can and WILL. If the exercise is too hard you won't keep up with it. Try Zumba, dancing, or even walking. Check out Leslie Sansone. Good luck.:smile:
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    Music helps! The right song can make all the difference.

This sounds silly, but I give myself little pep talks. If I am running, I talk myself into "just another quarter mile" or "you can do 3 more minutes". I find motivation in being able to do something that I have never been before. If you can talk yourself into pushing just a little harder each time, and be proud of EVERY accomplishment, you may find that it gets easier and easier to go the extra mile! And... keep in mind... even if you feel like you are going to die, you won't (Jillian Michael's taught me that! Haha).
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Okay, so when I work out, I have major problems pushing myself. I don't get my heart rate up to where it needs to be because I feel like I'm going to die, which indicates that I'm not working hard enough. I take frequent breaks and just dont push myself as much as I should!
    Anyone have any tips on pushing yourself to do something that seems impossible?

This is the easiest thing to do... if you are using the treadmill or eliptical, or the bikes.... make sure your iPod has music that caters to a specific tempo or meter.

You can basically keep up with the tempo of the music as if you were like one of the band members who go through marching season.

I have music that I have remixed into techno-related workout tracks that dont impact the way the singer sounds... I kicked *kitten* today doing 45 minutes on the treadmill for a 627 caloric BURN.... and thats thanks to some really awesome music that I changed into techno to follow the specific meter that matches the speed of the equipment I was working out on.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use several things to push myself or motivate me during a workout. I ponied up the $$ for a trainer (first time ever) and found that I LOVED having someone push me so hard...seriously, her workouts are like childbirth...all I can focus on for the next 30 mins is breathing! LOL I NEVER push myself like that when working out alone.

If I'm running on a treadmill or outside, I do several things: first: lots of loud, bass pumping angry music is a must. Second: I play games with myself; if I can just make it 1/4 more of a mile then I'll walk...or if I can just run to that next curve in the road, then I'll take a break. Usually by the time I get there, I'm past whatever it was that made me want to stop in the first place.

Also, if I'm on a treadmill, I need something inspirational to watch, so I usually turn the channel to some type of sports; esp women's if available. I find it incredibly motivating to watch other women work their a$$es off!
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you are a FEMALE your max HR should be =209 - (0.7 *age)
    If you are a MALE your max HR should be = 214 - (0.8 * age)

If that helps :/
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    I agree with talking to myself, I tell myself 1 more lap ( 1/4 mile) then when i hit that i tell myself a little more (1/8 mile) a little more and keep myself going a little further than planned each time.
  • Jenniferlynn212
    Jenniferlynn212 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself, "this is what it feels like to get in shape!"