About to turn 30, arthritic, need similar supporters

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to the site thanks to my mom's friend's daughter. Looking to eventually lose over 100lbs. I have arthritis and it's often hard to exercise. I'd love to gain some new friends/supporters to help me a long my path. I'm definitely a comfort eater, so I'm afraid of the struggles ahead...

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you,

auren82

Replies

• garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 29, and I have a bad knee. While it doesn't keep me from exercising within reason, I do have to modify or avoid some things because of it. I'd love to be a part of your support system!
  • auren82
    auren82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Look forward to talking with you!
  • baynight
    baynight Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im type 1 diabetes and also I have reumathoid arthritis, need to lose +100 lbs and it has not been easy for me dealing with pain. Feel free to add me as a friend. I also need some support ;)
  • als_startingover
    Options
    Hi, I'm 32 and had knee surgery a few years ago and still have to be careful with it. I am 200 lbs and working on motivation as well. I'm happy to give a little encouragement.
  • jnieforth
    Options
    Hi. I am 33 and have Ankylosing Spondylitis, it has changed my life. But started on Humira 2 years ago and it has given me a somewhat life back. I have Crohn's Disease on top of the arthritis and had knee surgery in November. I need to lose 100 pounds, it is not easy at all and hard with no support at all.
  • dragomom
    dragomom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 48, have an arthritic ankle with screws and a metal plate. I have lots of weight to lose and am somewhat limited as far as the excersising goes. I have found that water aerobics helps the pain and the movement of the joint. Feel free to add me.
  • cydneycnoo
    cydneycnoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis just after my 37th birthday (3 1/2 years ago) then fell very ill with Polymyositis 2 years later. Not only are my joints bad, but my muscles too. I have over 100lbs to lose, thanks to overeating, massive amounts of steroids and zero excersize. I was so worried that the pain and fatigue would get worse with excersize, that I didn't do anything until November last year. I finally had enough. I find the best thing for me is swimming. At first I was very self conscious of my size, but then I thought..... who cares what these strangers think, they have no idea what it is like to be me. I need to do this for myself and my kids. So I got my head down and got on with it. The funny thing is, OK, there are days where the pain is too much to stand and I can't do anything, but on the days I do go swimming, I feel so much better, mentally and physically.

You can do this. It's a long road and there will be many ups and down, but if you are determined, you will succeed. Good luck.
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    Like you, i also suffer from arthritis and find it hard somedays to exercise, so completely understand how you feel... feel free to add me for support :smile:
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Im 30 and i have many joint issues. Ive never been diagnosed with arthritus, but i sure as heck have it (very bad genetics+overweight=pain). I struggle with my knees, hips, hands, elbows, shoulders...well, i suppose just about all the bendy joints :D What works best with me with less impact on the joints is swimming (aqua aerobics classes are great!) and the elliptical machine. Now that im lighter and have warmed my joints, i can actually run/jog on the treadmill!! Not for a long period of time, but its still a big thing for someone with joint issues. believe me, some days my joints do suffer from the exercises, but its well worth it.

friend me if youd like, but if you stick to it, you can do it! It gets easier with time and practice :)
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Looks like you got all the support you need! However I am a very active and have had AS since I was 13. It has limited me, but never stopped me. Let me know if you need any support!