snacks 50 cals or under

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
i am wondering when you only have a short few calories left and are hungry what are some go to healthy good snacks? i have been doing carrots, celery or pickles as all are very low calories ( pickles are none) what else is there that is good and will fill that hungry void? suggestions please :)

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Fruit, sugar free jello, scrambled egg whites, yogurt, rice crackers.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Fruit, sugar free jello, scrambled egg whites, yogurt, rice crackers.

thx but i find most fruit is higher then that? a small banana i had the other day was 90. same with yogurt, i haven't seen any for under 90 but then i don't like ones with aspartame or sweeteners in it... but i will get some rice cakes and jello :) thx!
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Bump....would love some ideas too.
  • Samibeana
    Options
    A handful of strawberries is usually under 50 calories. I think Bananas tend to be much higher in calories than other fruits.
  • nikkirose723
    nikkirose723 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely fruit...grapes, oranges/grapefruit, apples, pineapple, etc. etc....all good choices. Olives? Air-popped popcorn?
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Green Beans! I know I'm odd, but when I want a low calorie, healthy and cheap snack I can open a can of green beans.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Green Beans! I know I'm odd, but when I want a low calorie, healthy and cheap snack I can open a can of green beans.
    Actually, eat them frozen... it's good. I have thing for frozen food. i don't know why it is but I love stuff that is all crystallized!

A light trader joes organic string cheese is 60 - feed a bit to dog and there you go... 50 calories.

And my favorite no calorie snack is club soda, put in the freezer for like 30 minutes, so it just starts to get icy.... SO GOOD! That has nothing to do with my trying to lose wieght though, I just really love frozen food.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you're actually "hungry" versus bored eating, I really don't think 50 calories or LESS is going to cut it. I can't imagine that 50 calories of air-popped popcorn is going to really hold you over until your next actual meal. If it can, you probably aren't hungry. Drink some water.
  • cindylooi
    cindylooi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think 50 calories is too little for a snack if anything you can go for a walk if you're feeling bloated or something from eating more then you wanted to. In terms of snacks, fruit, veggies w/ homemade dips, granola bars (read the nutrition pls), almonds, yogurt (you can have plain yogurt and add fresh fruits which is healthier)..

Oh I also suggest smoothies :) great snack but it's definitely over 50 calories but will keep you full and provide the nutrients needed for you :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If I have 50 cals left and I'm hungry, I will be going over by at least 200 and it's no big deal. Just saying.

That said, you can eat like 1/3 bag of frozen broccoli for 50 calories. But if I'm truly hungry, that's simply not appealing or adequate.
  • ciel9
    ciel9 Posts: 15
    Options
    a handful of Happy Melts! i love that stuff... yummy & good for digestion
  • lin7604
    Options
    what are happy melts?

i know 50 cals isn't a lot but i find i upped my calories as i was stuck at plateau for 3 weeks, going on 4.... i tend to go over my cals quite a bit. when i was at 1200, i'd go between 1200-1300 and not feel guilty. now i am set to 1320 and i don't want to go over 1400...as i still haven't dropped even .5 a lb! so if all i had was 50 cals left and was hungry, i needed some "good" choices. sometimes i don't know the difference between boredom eating or actual hunger... i make a cup of tea 1st and then if i am still wanting something this is where i need to make the best choice so i am not going over my calories daily. otherwise i will never get any more weight off me!!
  • nigel217
    nigel217 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cherry tomatoes are ideal. A large handful has less than 20 calories - I usually combine this with a glass of water and it staves off the hunger for a few hours.

Strawberries and raspberries are another good low calories alternative. Also, Weight Watchers do yoghurts that are only 50 calories per carton - I love these.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    fiber one yogurt is 50cals.. if you like yogurt
  • taffitoon
    Options
    Cabot makes a reduced fat cheese that comes in 50 calorie packages. Eat it slow to enjoy it and the strong flavor of it makes my tatstebuds happy
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Have a look online for a kale chips recipe - I tried them last week and they're really delicious. You can make a portion for under 50 cals if you use spray oil. I'm sure there's lots of good green veg nutrients in them too.
  • lin7604
    Options
    thx everyone, i just hit the store and got some items that can sit in the cupboard for these occasions :) popcorn, rice cakes and i stalked up on lots of cherry tomatoes, carrots, etc so hopefully i can get back in gear and have better choices when i am that hungry!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Crab sticks - 4 for 50 cals.

Celery sticks with cottage cheese, or with a triangle of Dairylea light/ laughing cow.

One rice cake topped with marmite and sliced cucumber.
  • GORDLEY101
    Options
    3,2,1 CAKE (AS I CALL IT 42 CALORIE CAKE) TAKE ONE BOX OF ANGEL FOOD CAKE AND ONE BOX OF ANY CAKE MIX OF YOUR CHOICE MIX THE 2 CAKE MIXES IN A ONE GALLON FREEZER BAG AND THEN FOLLOW THESE STEPS -- 3 TABLESPOONS OF CAKE MIX, 2 TABLESPOONS OF WATER, THEN 1 MINIUTE IN THE MICROWAVE.. ITS REALLY GOOD! ADD SOME NON FAT WHIP CREAM OR FRESH FRUIT! ENJOY! :smile:
  • daisy51981
    daisy51981 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat Chiquita Apple Bites; Pineapple Bites; and Apple Grape Bites, also WW String Cheese/Cheese Stick. :smile:

15569593.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter