Kinect Reviews for Fitness? Heck Yeah!

Options
Since I hate the gym and am in constant fear of someone looking at me attempting to work out, I've elected to work out from home and use the XBox 360 Kinect as a means to get myself into shape. So far I have lost 3.5 inches from my tummy and am continuing to lose weight. Using the Kinect keeps me on my toes as I can switch out games and routines at my leisure, it keeps me from getting bored with the same old routine.

I started reviewing each game on my blog and stating how well each one works, (so far I have finished 2 out of 6 planned reviews, and The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout is the next one on my list!) So if anybody is interested in using the Kinect to get into shape, please feel free to read my comments on each game (I'm also including tips to get a better workout from each game if I can think of any!).

If you are looking for a specific type of workout (arms, neck, legs) then leave a comment and I'll be sure to add my thoughts into each review (and I'll send my findings to you via e-mail so you don't have to check back). Any suggestions are welcome as well. :D

http://www.eclipsedmoon.net/kinect-booty-shape/

Replies

• Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Very cool of you to share your experience! I have been considering that system (currently have the Wii with a handful of programs). My alternative to the technological route is video. I have been using the Turbo Jam system, Shaun T's Rockin' Body, 30 Day Shred and of course I have tried Zumba but that version I struggle with. I tried the gym but it really doesn't fit into my schedule to go that route... so... after the house quiets down it is MY time!!!

I will be looking forward to following your experiences! It is always fun to find something new! :flowerforyou:
  • KineticPearl
    KineticPearl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, I will definitely be checking it out :-)
  • simplytigerlily
    Options
    Good to know! Looking forward to your reviews. We have been considering getting a Kinect and I didn't want to spend money on the workout games unless I saw how other people did. Thank you!
  • KineticPearl
    KineticPearl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am hanging for the Biggest Loser review. I tried the demo and it had me knackered quickly as it threw me straight into a medium intensity workout. That was though when I was at my heaviest and least fit.
  • Alceriniel
    Options
    Very cool of you to share your experience! I have been considering that system (currently have the Wii with a handful of programs). My alternative to the technological route is video. I have been using the Turbo Jam system, Shaun T's Rockin' Body, 30 Day Shred and of course I have tried Zumba but that version I struggle with. I tried the gym but it really doesn't fit into my schedule to go that route... so... after the house quiets down it is MY time!!!

I will be looking forward to following your experiences! It is always fun to find something new! :flowerforyou:

I'm glad you find my reviews helpful. I totally understand about schedule conflicts with going to the gym, I tend to work out at 11:30 at night! The only place around where I live that is open that late is the University's gym, and I do not want to pay $500/month to go there!

I've tried videos in the past but they got a bit repetitive for me. I like the fact that I can switch out games at my leisure, and that even when I play the same game 3 days in a row the experience is always different. For example, on the Biggest Loser game, I did Yoga yesterday, and a Box-Fit routine today. There are a lot of different things to do and play around with for each game, and there are plenty of ways to push out a harder workout as you go. :happy:
    Good to know! Looking forward to your reviews. We have been considering getting a Kinect and I didn't want to spend money on the workout games unless I saw how other people did. Thank you!

The neat thing is how many games there are to choose from, the ones I have listed are just the tip of the Kinect iceberg. Are you looking for any specific type of training? I would be happy to add a game that might fit your criteria to my list!
    I am hanging for the Biggest Loser review. I tried the demo and it had me knackered quickly as it threw me straight into a medium intensity workout. That was though when I was at my heaviest and least fit.

I found out very quickly while playing TBL:UW that it is best to start small, I had to cut my daily workout routine down from 1 hour of exercise to 15 minute Medium intensity workouts and work myself up from there. That game does certainly push you, but I like the fact that there are rest stations spaced throughout your workout that give you enough time to pause the Kinect if you need to and gasp for air.

One warning I'll go ahead and give you with those workouts is that even if you are doing a workout correctly, the Kinect won't register that you are actually in the right pose/position and it can be easy to overextend or overdo some exercises in an attempt to please the game. Make sure you aren't doing things like lunging to far or swinging your arms to wide or even overextending your back in order to make your on-screen representation turn green instead of red.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'll be reading your Kinect Reviews as well. I use my Wii for 20-40 minute daily workouts (Zumba, WiiFit, Exerbit, and several others) but I'm sick of the controller requirement. It is either an upgraded controller-less Wii (rumor has it that something like that is forthcoming) or something new like the Kinect.

Thanks for doing this.
  • mistersmomma
    Options
    Nice I am getting the Kinect for my next birthday, as a gift from my father, and I plan on using it as for fitness. I still wanna join the gym for swimming. I hate going to the gym when others are there, I like going to 24 hours gyms in the middle of the night but since that is not an option for me at this point in time the dance and zumba games are at the top of my wish list. In the past I always kinda thought what a lazy way, well mainly on the sports games but than again at least it's doing something instead of just sitting on the couch. My reviews and from the words of others kinect gets you way more active and involved than the wii.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There is also a group on MFP for video games designed for weight loss. Always great to have more reviews and new avenues of fitness!