Camping is awesome

Options
Just back from the first camping trip I've taken since I was a teenager, in the back of beyond. What an awesome, cheap, relaxing, healthy holiday - and how great everything tasted cooked in a campfire!! Who else likes camping? What are some good ideas for camping cookery? I took a pineapple in with me and grilled a slice over the campfire.... awesome. And a carrot cooked in the embers in tin foil was out of this world.

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've always loved making a pot of chili while camping. And baked potatoes. Camping can be a lot of fun!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love Camping, wish i could go more often.

As for cooking equipment depends if you are going for gas or fire.

Gas, you can just use your old spare pots from home

Fire, invest in a good dutch oven. Use it like a crockpot, embers underneath and on top.
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We love camping! Have to wait until at least May to camp in UK!
    Corn on the cob, halloumi cheese (not so healthy!), vegetable kebabs on skewers, salmon wrapped in foil! Hmm!
    Of course, the occasional burger and high % meat content sausage!
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I went camping over the weekend - made me gain weight though.
    All one-pot recipes are great. We've discovered a great one with chicken fillet, onion, mushroom, french onion soup mix and a can of coke. Sounds ridiculous but is very yummy.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks everyone! This is also my excuse for a good Dutch oven, which I've wanted for a while :-) We are in New Zealand so it's just past mid-summer, and perfect weather for camping at the moment.
  • its_sania
    its_sania Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm going camping for the first time ever in June. I'm a real city girl but I love going down to the country, especially the wine region. But of course, I always stay in houses or hotels. This time I'll be roughing it in a tent in the middle of winter... Bugs and wild animals freak me out so it's going to be an interesting experience!!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If you are at a camp ground, just remember how the light inside the tent puts on a shadow show!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Love to raft and camp. As my girls were growing up I had several Camper Vans. '69 VW. '87 Westfalia. '95 Eurovan. I considered it luxury camping.

Now that all the girls are out of the house, we rarely camp. Usually find a lodge or hotel when we raft.

The rare ocassions that I camp now, it's from the back of my motorcycle. Over the years, though, I have collected a lot of camping essentials that can be stacked on my bike. Tents, Chairs, Stoves, etc..
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I am too much of a clean freak to enjoy "real" camping. I grew up in the country, and my dad owns some property deep in the piney woods of East Texas, so we camped a lot when I was a kid. I like being outdoors when the weather is nice, and I don't mind bugs, but I do not like being without a shower or a real bed to sleep in. I could handle it for maybe one night, but beyond that, I'd be a really unfun person to be around.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We are big campers. We purchased a nice, used Pop-Up Trailer last year and went camping 6 times from July - Sept. We have 3 trips already planned for this summer. It is a great family activity and lots of fun!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to go camping. I used to beg my dad when I was younger but I had to settle with a tent in the backyard. Now I still want to go camping but I don't have anyone who ever wants to go with me. My fiance doesn't really seem very interested when I bring it up. I'll go someday though. :smile:
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    I am an old, die-hard camper. I haven't been in a few years though. But I used to go tent camping up the length of California. I usually go alone. For me solo tent camping is when I recharge my emotional and spiritual batteries.

So many people focus on food when they camp. I do not. I have always said that if I could go camping for a year, I'd come home thin. I ate very light and easy. I walked a lot.

I swear, I could live in a tent and be happy. It's one of my passions, tent camping.

Mine you, I do enjoy when my husband has gone, but we have different styles of camping and he just doesn't enjoy camping like I do. To him it seems like a hardship. To me it is a joy. He prepares way too much food and there's no place to store it, so he eats it. LOL He is very good about sleeping, no complaints, but I know he'd be more comfortable in our bed at home.

And when he travels, he likes to fly. I don't fly, period. So, we've been married going on 40 years and have taken most of our vacations separately. People are often aghast at that, but my husband and I are very close and good together. We trust each other completely and without reservation. So, it works for us, or has worked for us, all those years.

In recent years I've worried about leaving him at home alone due to a heart condition he has. So, I miss my camping adventures greatly. But I love him more than I do camping.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Aboslutely love camping! Do a Google search for "dutch oven recipes" or "camping recipes" - you'll be suprised how many sites there are that have great one-pot recipes! I love my dutch oven - but if I were you, I would invest in some kind of bag you can carry it in - it tends to get pretty black if used properly - and make sure you season it properly before first use.

Our family camps.......a LOT. Back in 2006 we went from a pop up (which I LOVED) to a big-azz 30-ft travel trailer - worse decision we ever made, to be honest. That camper is now up for sale, and my hubby is building us a TearDrop camper - inside is a California King bed and some shelves, and the outside back has a hatch that opens up into an outdoor kitchen. Should be done in time for camping this year!!!! I can't freakin wait!
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm 'mmmporkrinds' sister - I went on the camping trip with her last week. It was FANTASTIC! We did focus on the food quite a lot, but we almost always do (which is how we ended up in an overweight pickle in the first place...). We both enjoy cooking, but now we're embracing whole food, and ate incredibly well last week. Quinoa-stuffed baked capsicum (done in the embers of the campfire), a delicious fritatta made with natural yoghurt instead of milk (forgot to take milk with us), ratatouille, loads of salads, avocado on toast-a-la-campfire, and a cheeky little chickpea stew as well.

Plus the ubiquitous toasted marshmallows. It would be wrong not to have one or two of them.

I didn't shower for over a week, we encounted plenty of bugs (including an enormous and frankly terrifying spider), and I came home with more mosquito bites than I could possibly count. But my god - we're totally doing that again! Loved it.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    hehe, I thought this said cramping is awesome.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I love camping! It is so much fun. Totally relaxing and calm.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I love camping too! We usually rent a cabin and camp princess style! HA! Seriously though, a nice camper is on my wish list. We've done tenting before, but I kid you not...everytime the tent went up a serious storm hit. One time we had to take cover due to a tornado. We put the tent away for good after that trip.

Our next camping trip is planned for a weekend in April. Can't wait!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Camping is the best! We go several times each summer. Now that I have young kids, I go "car camping" exclusively, meaning that I pitch my tent in state and national parks. These campsites always have a fire pit and grill. (The downside is, of course, that they also have more noisy people! But I just don't feel comfortable taking my kids off the grid yet.)

Anyway, one of my favorite camping recipes is beer butt chicken. Since beer is pretty much a staple of camping anyway, all you need to bring extra is the chicken! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beer-butt-chicken/
  • jay586
    jay586 Posts: 133
    Options
    nothing like camping in northern michigan
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I Love camping. Miss it.

Smores.jpg