New Runner. Please help a pal!

Options
**TIPS PLEASE**
I have recently become more determined to start running not only for my weight loss but I would like to feel fitter. Running has never been something that I have done. EVER! I could just about run for the bus before however last week at the gym I did just over 4KM in 30 minutes. The longest and fastest I have ever run in my life!!
I attempted running outdoors earlier this evening I found it terrifyingly difficult. I kept stopping and starting and eventually gave up. I dont really know what I am doing wrong or if it was just my body showing me how unfit I am outside of the gym... I don't know and I feel really stuck! My mind keeps on telling me that I can't or that running isnt for me but im not about to give up. I know some of you on here are really experienced and any tips (or the general encouragement) would be great!! This is something I really wanna concur. Please help guys!

Replies

• Daz999
    Daz999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try the run/walk method. Walk some, run some, over time you increase the running and decrease the walking. I have some friends that run/walk at local races and they say they finish faster that way.
    More at runner's world.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--13479-0,00.html
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    search the couch to 5k program... it helps a lot!!!
  • ANNABELLEMoorsey
    Options
    Try the run/walk method. Walk some, run some, over time you increase the running and decrease the walking. I have some friends that run/walk at local races and they say they finish faster that way.
    More at runner's world.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--13479-0,00.html

Just had a good read. Thank you very much for that!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    search the couch to 5k program... it helps a lot!!!
    This. Definitely the way to start out so you don't hurt yourself and make regular progress to build confidence.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Your body is just telling you it unfit for running right now. That is exactly how everybody feels when starting to run for the first time.

If you start something like C25K and keep at it at least three times a week it will get much easier very quickly.
  • cowleyibiza
    Options
    tottally agree with whats been said, C25K as well as joining Runnersworld.

What I will say is that running outdoors is extremley difficult, as you have wind, rain, different terrain, inclines, declines, cambers. etc... But it is a great workout, and will make you lots fitter than just running on a treadmill. I am currently working through the C25K on Week 3, and am finding that my fitness is increasing lots everyday.

It is hard and Im extremely unfit, but just think of your goals and if you have to slow down then do it! its worth it in the long run..

Rich.
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    tottally agree with whats been said, C25K as well as joining Runnersworld.

What I will say is that running outdoors is extremley difficult, as you have wind, rain, different terrain, inclines, declines, cambers. etc... But it is a great workout, and will make you lots fitter than just running on a treadmill. I am currently working through the C25K on Week 3, and am finding that my fitness is increasing lots everyday.

It is hard and Im extremely unfit, but just think of your goals and if you have to slow down then do it! its worth it in the long run..

Rich.

I can't comment on C25K but absolutely agree with this. It is hard but worth it, stick with it and you will get there.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Running outside has different challenges to running on the treadmill.

Outside you need to not only propel yourself forward (treadmill does not require this) but you have to avoid curbs, dogs, people etc. Wind, rain, heat and cold also come into play.

That is not to say the treadmill doesn't have some challenges of it's own. Some people find it harder to push themselves on the treadmill and get psyched out by pushing past certain numbers. There is also the boredom factor and air conditioned gyms can be hard to run in.

As others have said, following a structured program is a great way to increase distance and being able to run outside whilst still having access to a treadmill is a great combination. Because you have attained a reasonable level on the treadmill I would expert you to progress quite quickly with your outside running.

Tips: plan a couple of short routes that are safe and well lit (if running in the evening). Don't stress out about hydration, if you are eating and drinking normally you don't need to hydrate up or fuel up for runs of less than 30 mins unless you are running in extreme conditions.

Best wishes.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I did the walk- run method. I would walk 10 minutes, run 2. Gradually flipping those numbers. Now I can run a 5k, and it's only been about 6 months.
  • cssm
    cssm Posts: 25
    Options
    **TIPS PLEASE**
    I have recently become more determined to start running not only for my weight loss but I would like to feel fitter. Running has never been something that I have done. EVER! I could just about run for the bus before however last week at the gym I did just over 4KM in 30 minutes. The longest and fastest I have ever run in my life!!
    I attempted running outdoors earlier this evening I found it terrifyingly difficult. I kept stopping and starting and eventually gave up. I dont really know what I am doing wrong or if it was just my body showing me how unfit I am outside of the gym... I don't know and I feel really stuck! My mind keeps on telling me that I can't or that running isnt for me but im not about to give up. I know some of you on here are really experienced and any tips (or the general encouragement) would be great!! This is something I really wanna concur. Please help guys!

can i just say that 30 mins is fantastic and i just accomplished the same thing today! On a treadmill. i used to be able to run outdoors for 5km and couldnt do that long on the treadmill for some reason?? go figure! but anyway please dont be hard on yourself!!!! its a great effort and dont feel bad about running outdoors, just keep trying and one day it will click. just as it did on the treadmill. running for 30 mins is running for 30 mins! well done
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend C25K. i couldn't even run for the busin august! I started the C25K back in August, completed it in about 11 weeks. I repeated a couple of weeks as I got a chest infection half way through. I was really surprised that I enjoyed the program and it worked really well
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    4km, that's awesome, you should be very proud of yourself!

Running outside is almost a completely different discipline to the dreadmill, but believe me you'll learn to love it and the distractions it gives you to carry on further and faster than ever, and you'll regret every day the weather forces you to retire indoors.

Some of my beginner's tips here might help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

When moving from dreadmill to outside, I'd definitely highlight the first point:
    "When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!"

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like running support!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25k program myself (week 2!) I totally recommend it. I run outside...i don't even belong to a gym anymore. The key is learning how to pace yourself. Without the belt moving and mph in front of you it's really difficult to make sure you stay at a pace you know you can handle but you learn to read your body.
    btw...4k is pretty amazing...you should be happy...the most I've personally ever been able to run is around 2k ( hoping to change that soon :) )
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    Another tip that helps with the transition to outside is to use the treadmill on an incline so there's a bit more resistance, it helps to simulate road running a little more than otherwise happens.

Lots of people find they can run well on the treadmill and try to achieve the same speed outside - slow it down outside so you can 'chat' a little as you go - it may even feel too slow - that way you build up the stamina to keep going, the speed will take care of itself to some extent as you get fitter anyway.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I started running/walking a few months before I turned 50. Now I'm 51 and getting ready to run a marathon in May. I am also trying to bring my 5K under 25 minutes. You are doing great! It just takes time to get your body used to it. Every day gets better and better and you feel better and better. Take it slow, do what you can. Remember a lot of people drop out of running by pushing too fast. It will come. The main thing is to listen to your body. Get out there and walk / run for 60 minutes even if it's more walking then running. Before you know it, you'll be running that whole 60 minutes.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have loads of great help. Running outdoors is definitely harder but I find it so much more rewarding and interesting. If possible run on grass/trail as it'll be nicer on your joints.

Enjoy being a runner :)