HRM's - need help

Options
Ive done some searching through the threads here to get a good idea on HRM's, but Im just not finding anything at all...

I am NOT a fan of watches to begin with so perhaps people could be kind enough to recommend non-watch HRM's?

Im not interested in an HRM for swimming purposes so that can help rule out waterproof.

I definitely dont like the caloric discrepancies between the machines and what MFP calculates and definitely would like to go the HRM route.

I dont have the money to go hog-wild-crazy on a high ticket purchase though. I would think there must be HRM's out there for less than $75.00 that could function just as good as the high-priced models out there, right?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Replies

• hagamivida
    Options
    You can get something like what I have, the FR60 (it's a garmin watch, yes, but the HRM isn't in the watch. It comes with a band that goes around your chest and it transfers the info wirelessly to the watch which, if you get the little ANT+ stick you can wirelessly transfer the data to your computer. Or you can just keep it all on your watch. But you don't have to wear the watch. Just shove it in a pocket. You can get it for under the 75 you specified if you get it used like I did on Amazon.com
    I hope that helped.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and love it. It has a chest strap and a watch. The watch is really just so that you can see if you are in the fat burning zone and at the end of your work out you check it to see how many calories you have burned. I never wear a watch either but I do wear the one with my HRM while I work out, seems like a small price to pay for results. I paid 80.00 for mine but I think you could go on eBay and maybe find it cheaper. Good Luck.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If you're using machines but also want to use it for non machine activity, I'd personally suggest something like the Polar RS300X which is around £80 online but I'm sure you could get a second hand one for less.

You don't then actually have to wear the watch whilst you workout...put it somewhere on the machine or in your pocket. The HRMonitoring comes from the chest strap unit. The Polar Wear Link straps are very comfortable. They're made from fabric so don't have cold horrible plastic contacts that are a bit too rigid and so lots less friciton too.

The RS300X is a great multi sport accurate (as far as any midrange HRM can be!) HRM and so long as the watch is in the reasonable vicinity of you and the strap (i.e on your person or on the machine) it'll record on to the watch which is the "computer".

Comes with built in fit test and many more features making it more accurate than the "FT"Xs.
  • mlh29
    mlh29 Posts: 40
    Options
    go with a polar ft 4 or 7 amazon or ebay for under your 75 they are small and accurate, most gym equip will support them etc
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So there are no HRM's out there that dont involve a watch then, right? I dont want to fiddle with a watch at all.... looks like Im back to square one then...

thanks anyways