MBR????

Options
I have a question...

If my MBR is 1575 at sedetary mode for the day, should I use that as my daily goal? Or should I use less than that so I can loose weight?

Sorry if it sounds dumb...LOL...I am new and trying to figure this out...Help!!

Replies

• myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bumping for you.
    I think your BMR is what keeps your body functioning before activity; many MFP posts suggest that your net intake should not go below your BMR. Good luck.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if your BMR is 1575 and you list yourself as sedentary, then your maintenance calories would be about 2200 calories. If you are obese, then you can probably get away with going below your BMR for your NET calories. In other words, it depends on how much you have to lose, or a better predictor is what your body fat % is, for females, once you get above about 30% or so, then about a 1000 calorie NET deficit is usually ok, dip below 30% though, and you have to start reducing that deficit, this is a rough guideline only.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Less otherwise you will most likely maintain your weight. Just a guess.
  • Lisa_More
    Options
    if your BMR is 1575 and you list yourself as sedentary, then your maintenance calories would be about 2200 calories. If you are obese, then you can probably get away with going below your BMR for your NET calories. In other words, it depends on how much you have to lose, or a better predictor is what your body fat % is, for females, once you get above about 30% or so, then about a 1000 calorie NET deficit is usually ok, dip below 30% though, and you have to start reducing that deficit, this is a rough guideline only.

I am considered obese since I am over 30 lbs my weight limit. I am doing 1500 a day so that I could loose lbs instead of maintaining my current weight.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is your resting calorie burn and what your body needs to function. Try not to go much below that number as your net calories for a day.

Good luck :smile:
  • brandirobin
    Options
    2 questions....sorry but i'm ignorant to the abbreviations being new to the site.

what is MBR?

and what does it mean when people say bump?
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    2 questions....sorry but i'm ignorant to the abbreviations being new to the site.

what is MBR?

Hi; I believe the poster meant BMR and just typed MBR accidentally. Jhipson says "BMR is your resting calorie burn and what your body needs to function. Try not to go much below that number as your net calories for a day."
    Bump means to move a topic higher in the thread, and it also adds it to the "My Topics" section on your page (since you responded) so that you can see when there are updates to, or review, threads you've participated in.
  • hannata86
    Options
    Your MBR * 1.2 would be what you require day to day to survive. (with a sedentary lifestyle)

to lose 1lb you need to subtract 3500 calories over the week, which is 500 a day.

HTH
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Your MBR * 1.2 would be what you require day to day to survive. (with a sedentary lifestyle)
    Not really. That's what you would need to maintain your weight. If you needed that much to survive, everyone who went on a diet would die.
  • Lisa_More
    Options

what is MBR?

Hi; I believe the poster meant BMR and just typed MBR accidentally. Jhipson says "BMR is your resting calorie burn and what your body needs to function. Try not to go much below that number as your net calories for a day."
    Bump means to move a topic higher in the thread, and it also adds it to the "My Topics" section on your page (since you responded) so that you can see when there are updates to, or review, threads you've participated in.

LOL..yup I did mean BMR..thanks for all your help!