Daily Runs - Is it ok to.....

Options
Hello all. So yesterday I ran for 25 minutes, and it felt wonderful!! Today, I woke up and my calves are sore because of it!! I want to run 30 minutes today, but I was curious to know if it is ok to run if they're sore, or should I wait a day and let me legs recover from yesterday? Thoughts, comments, and advice are greatly appreciated!!! In my opinion, I think I should run even though they're sore, but just take it a bit easier today.....and am I straining myself too much or am I just being over protective of my body??

Sincerely,
Claire - The confused girl! lol

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Nope, if they are just sore and not injured, another slow 30 min run would be good for you...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello all. So yesterday I ran for 25 minutes, and it felt wonderful!! Today, I woke up and my calves are soar because of it!! I want to run 30 minutes today, but I was curious to know if it is ok to run if they're sore, or should I wait a day and let me legs recover from yesterday? Thoughts, comments, and advice are greatly appreciated!!! In my opinion, I think I should run even though they're sore, but just take it a bit easier today.....and I'm straining myself too much or am I just being over protective of my body??

Sincerely,
    Claire - The confused girl! lol

You should try to vary your workouts and use different muscle so you can allow muscles to recover and rest. But I know a lot of people who run 5 days a week. But there is nothing that says you can't run even though you are sore.
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    Are you being sure to do some dynamic stretching before and stretching after. That solved my problem as well as increasing protein on the days I run. Personally if I had sore muscles I would give myself a break. Maybe do some light cardio like walking or extra cleaning but I wouldn't run. But that is just me.
  • horsiegall
    Options
    walk it out & run tomorrow i use a recovery for soreness really helps
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It is definately important to take rest days, I take at least 1 if not 2 a week. But, I run consecutive days. As a poster above said, as long as you are just sore and not injured, so ahead and run. Make sure you are really stretching those calves out! Mine get tight alot during my longer runs (6 miles and above) and I really make sure to take the time to stretch.

Happy running!
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! This really helped me out! I most definitely stretch before and after any type of workout. I just didn't want to strain myself and get hurt. I will be switching up my exercises so that it keeps my body guessing! Thanks for the support and advice! xoxo
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    walk it out & run tomorrow i use a recovery for soreness really helps

This is what I do. If it's just soreness and not injury, then it's best to use the muscles but at a lower intensity. Go for a nice long brisk walk to stretch them out!
  • chickenrun1
    Options
    Running when your calves a bit sore is fine, if you developeshin splints you should give it a miss for a few days, If you are new to running you could alterrnaate run days wwith walk days to give your legs time to get used to it.
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    You need to build up to daily runs. Are you running every other day?

Key is to avoid injury, fatigue, stay motivated... Running is a pretty intensive form of cardio on your muscles, joints, ligaments etc... it takes time to strengthen and toughen them up. Too much too soon will just lead to pain.

FWIW - I don't stretch. There's no proof that it helps. There's a lot of debate. One thing people do agree is that stretching cold muscles is bad - so if you are going to stretch, save it for after your run.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Soreness isn't an issue that should stop you. Pain is. If it's just sore, I recommend extending your warm-up until they loosen up. For example, if you normally walk (or jog slowly) for 5 minutes as a warm-up, increase it to 10. Likewise, increase your cool down. Soreness is something to embrace! If you want to run again, don't let it stop you!
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I often find that if I am sore that cardio is what helps it go away fastest. Be careful with running that you don't do too much too fast and rish injury, but its its just sore overworked muscles (injury pain and sore pain are two different things). Go for it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Key is to avoid injury, fatigue, stay motivated... Running is a pretty intensive form of cardio on your muscles, joints, ligaments etc... it takes time to strengthen and toughen them up. Too much too soon will just lead to pain.

FWIW - I don't stretch. There's no proof that it helps. There's a lot of debate. One thing people do agree is that stretching cold muscles is bad - so if you are going to stretch, save it for after your run.

^^This. Even the stretching part. Are you new to running? When I started I every time I got cocky and tried to run on back-to-back days it always ended badly. Your joints and ligaments need to build up to that stress more than your muscles do.
  • thelonelysquirrel
    Options
    On your days that you're sore, just walk.

But it's "okay" to run everyday.

I know they say no advertising, but I'm not affiliating with this company at all. I just use their app called Lolo Treadmill / Beat Burn and it has the BEST programs for running.

Best of luck!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Yes this!!

Definately build up slow. Depending on you running level, check out couch to 5k or some beginner running plans for a 5k or 10k.

I only stretch AFTER a run. But I really stretch out my calves and stay hydrated.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Go out for a walk.

After you are warmed up break into a slow run. If the soreness goes away while you are running you should be OK, just do a little less than you did the day before that made you sore.

If the pain doesn't go away or gets worse, call it a day.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I wonder the same thing sometimes!

I run every other day because I'm trying to heed the start slow advice. I was just wondering of the veteran runners: How will I know when my body is strong enough to run every day?
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Whenever you are trying something new ease your way into it. Of course you're sore after running for 25 minutes!

You might want to try interval training, ie, walk for two minutes then sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times and work your way up for 4 or 5 times. A lot of studies have shown this type of workout to be more effective for both your heart and for fat burning, and because your actual running time is only 12 minutes or so, you don't get the type of injuries that you do with long runs.
  • JessicaSoul
    Options
    I am new on here... my first time.. so I am excited! My goal is to be running 3 miles by spring.... I havent ran in years... 15 or so... so thats a big deal... any reccomendations???
  • jlo0812
    jlo0812 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am new on here... my first time.. so I am excited! My goal is to be running 3 miles by spring.... I havent ran in years... 15 or so... so thats a big deal... any reccomendations???

This was me a month ago, start off slow, see if you can do a mile first. For beginners, it's best to try either the couch to 5k or the Hal Higdon plans, they help A LOT! Best of luck to you!